Virginia WV and VA trailriding north of Hatfield?

This is really a VA/WV question.

Best friend recently moved from South Dakota to northeastern WV (Martinsville area).  Coming from western South Dakota, he has a four-seater UTV which he used to ride in the Badlands.  Anyway, he's suggesting a three-day weekend in November where I dash out there (I'm in the Philly region) along with a couple of my dirt bikes, and we ride Moto Cove (he's new to the area and has never been, and I haven't either), where we'd do some UTV-riding together, and some dirt biking, too. 

Looking at the YouTube footage, MotoCove doesn't look to be that different from the very rocky trails I have up in PA.    But Hatfield, for me, is like 7+ hours -- is there anything north of Hatfield McCoy in VA or WV that offers better (less rocky) trails than Moto Cove (that could also accommodate his UTV?

Edited by Kitchener

Did you intend to say he moved to Martinsburg? That's not far from MotoCove (Gore, VA).

Taskers Gap is also nearby, though I'm not sure how much fun the jeep trails would be on the utv or what you consider too rocky.

Martinsburg, yes. 

So between Martinsburg and Hatfield (in WV or in WV) no big trail riding areas, other than Taskers and MotoCove?

Not that I'm aware for utv's. There is Shade Mountain in McAllisterville but it's motorcycle only.

There is another place out near Deep Creek Lake in Maryland, only open on weekends I think --- (Wolfs Den?)

Hatfield trails are going to be the most friendly to utv's...

Rocky Run OHV is about twenty or thirty minutes from Harrisonburg Virginia and sits near the WV line lots of different trials up at substantial elevation and they allow UTVs staging area is very small however but most people just leave there stuff at the church right near the entrance.

• Like 1

Just be a man and go down to Rockhouse, in Man or GIlbert WV. I'm in a Philly suburb and I have ridden HM 6 times in the past 3 years.

Taskers Gap is much more rocky than any HM trail, and I think its much more rocky than the PA trails I rode (RAC and AOAA)

This is really a VA/WV question.

Best friend recently moved from South Dakota to northeastern WV (Martinsville area).  Coming from western South Dakota, he has a four-seater UTV which he used to ride in the Badlands.  Anyway, he's suggesting a three-day weekend in November where I dash out there (I'm in the Philly region) along with a couple of my dirt bikes, and we ride Moto Cove (he's new to the area and has never been, and I haven't either), where we'd do some UTV-riding together, and some dirt biking, too. 

Looking at the YouTube footage, MotoCove doesn't look to be that different from the very rocky trails I have up in PA.    But Hatfield, for me, is like 7+ hours -- is there anything north of Hatfield McCoy in VA or WV that offers better (less rocky) trails than Moto Cove (that could also accommodate his UTV?

i brought two bikes with me to colorado left monday, got there tuesday night back in july. 7 hour drive is nothing stop once or twice for gas  spend 3 days there. totally worth it.

Rocky Run OHV is about twenty or thirty minutes from Harrisonburg Virginia and sits near the WV line lots of different trials up at substantial elevation and they allow UTVs staging area is very small however but most people just leave there stuff at the church right near the entrance.

rock run!

How large is the area (Rocky Run OHV)?

The "Official" Area is only about ten miles but personally I'd say you've got nearly 50 plus miles of trail if your willing to go deeper into the mountains , hit offshoots, sketchier up hills etc.. all of which is legal as long as you have spark arrestor and don't do any stupid cross country and piss off the Rangers. There is no phone service regardless of your carrier and it's very low traffic so unless you know the area well and are experienced you realllllyyyyy need to have a buddy.

Hey Kozmo plan on going to Second MTN this spring. You say low traffic area. I would think a lot of Jeeps up there. I'm taking you can break off from the pack. Hit less used trails. Do weekends get busy. ?? I never been there. Any Tips. Thanks Bud. I'm bringing a motorcycle. Johnny (U) was Number !9 Colts. Take Care