4 strokes? I THINK I've finally learned my lesson

Why is there such a divide between 2t and 4 guys? Ive never had the opportunity to ride a 2t and really want to, but I've never understood the division. I get why no one likes quad guys lol but even then, I'd prefer to ride with a cool quad guy or gal over no one at all.

Once you've experienced the aural and polar moment of inertia delights of a 2t you'll understand the divide. Plus, people are wired by a million years of evolutionary experience to be tribally loyal and hateful of the Other. Now, pick a side and start slinging mud!
  • Like 7

Haha i guess you're right. If i cared, I'd argue 4t since thats all i know. Which is probably the basis of most of the arguments made.

• Like 2

Most four stroke owners change their engine oil at least twice in 20 hours...add a couple of oil filters to the tally and the four stroke ends up being more expensive to operate per ride.

Haha. Most? I guess that excludes some then. I change mine every 15 hours per the shop manual but I don't change oil filters until 30 hours. All slow recreational trail riding.

Haha. Most? I guess that excludes some then. I change mine every 15 hours per the shop manual but I don't change oil filters until 30 hours. All slow recreational trail riding.

I've never been able to change just the oil. New oil filter/filters every time. I clean the oil screeens each time as well. Peace of mind is a good thing to have with you on a ride though.

I'm not biast.  I'll  ride anything that looks like fun. 2T, 4T, Electric, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, 8 wheels, whatever.

I've never been able to change just the oil. New oil filter/filters every time. I clean the oil screeens each time as well. Peace of mind is a good thing to have with you on a ride though.

I'm not biast. I'll ride anything that looks like fun. 2T, 4T, Electric, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, 8 wheels, whatever.

I do take the filter out to drain more oil out while also inspecting it for integrity. If it's suspect appearance wise then I toss it.

With the shortest oil change interval on a performance automobile being 3000 miles I just don't see it necessary to service my trail bike as if I were professionally racing it in motocross.

I do take the filter out to drain more oil out while also inspecting it for integrity. If it's suspect appearance wise then I toss it.

With the shortest oil change interval on a performance automobile being 3000 miles I just don't see it necessary to service my trail bike as if I were professionally racing it in motocross.

I change my 4T oil when I think it needs to be changed. I don't go by hours or miles. Depends on the riding I do, weather temps, river crossings, how hard the engine ha worked and reved etc.

I do the same with my 2T's. Never had a 2T engine issue. Never had a 4T engine issue, that wasn't my doing. If either let me down in the bush, they'd be left there.

10 to 1, dozen to the other. I like both equally. 

Edited by FTB
  • Like 2

I've got both a 300xcw and a 500exc, I'm just a trail rider these days but I prefer the 2ts power delivery.     

Yep, most. Most means the majority of; nearly all of. Notice that I didn't say all of.

Read the oil threads in the four stroke section of any dirt bike website. The majority of four stoke owners are changing their oil every 5 to 10 hours. Some are changing their oil every ride or every other ride. Very few are changing it at the recommended interval. Under normal circumstances, I cannot understand why anybody would change their oil more often than the manufacturer recommends...but they do! 

• Like 1

Yep, most. Most means the majority of; nearly all of. Notice that I didn't say all of.

Read the oil threads in the four stroke section of any dirt bike website. The majority of four stoke owners are changing their oil every 5 to 10 hours. Some are changing their oil every ride or every other ride. Very few are changing it at the recommended interval. Under normal circumstances, I cannot understand why anybody would change their oil more often than the manufacturer recommends...but they do! 

I suggested once that I cleaned air filters when they were dirty. Travesty! The pig is going to hell for not arbitrarily cleaning it every ride.

• Like 5

Two strokes are not as efficient as FI four strokes...but twice as much gas? You're exaggerating. My four stroke buddies get about 75 to 80 miles out of a 2.2 gallon tank. I get about 85 to 90 miles out of my 2.9 gallon tank. So the difference is about 5 miles per gallon. The cost is not nearly the same. A four stroke costs $1000 more than an equivalent two stroke. I can buy 100 quarts of Amsoil Interceptor for $1000. I figure it costs me an additional $2.30 in pre-mix and another $1.20 in gas, per ride, vs a similar sized four stroke. It would take 285 rides of 90 miles to eat up the $1000 difference in purchase price. However, I change my transmission oil every 20 hours...per the owners manual. Most four stroke owners change their engine oil at least twice in 20 hours...add a couple of oil filters to the tally and the four stroke ends up being more expensive to operate per ride. 

Did your homework.  NICE!

• Like 2

There's a pretty simple reason why and I am guilty too.  They are afraid of it blowing and arent going to take ANY chances.  lol

Look at the filters the bike comes with stock plus the additional ones guys put on, why?  Scared of the frag bill.   ;)

Two strokes are ride hard, ditch the hour meter, do maintenance when you fieel like it affairs.  No ticking timebomb thoughts in the back of your head.  LIke I said earlier, I do have confidence in the integrity of the motor, not much is going wrong with them, but I'd be lying if I didnt say I think about it.   ;)

Edited by Sycamore

I pick one of my 300's the vast majority of the time over my 450 dual sport. Between the weight, handling, and flame-outs, a 300 is a much better offroad bike for me.

Missed this and a good point.  I had a wr450 that seemed to flame out at the WORST times.  The same thing happened with that bike.  Road it quite a bit and then sat there.  Took me two 4s to learn my lesson, at least I hope I learned.  lol

BTW I dont think the FI models flame out.  Mine certainly didnt.  

• Like 1

Missed this and a good point.  I had a wr450 that seemed to flame out at the WORST times.  The same thing happened with that bike.  Road it quite a bit and then sat there.  Took me two 4s to learn my lesson, at least I hope I learned.  lol

BTW I dont think the FI models flame out.  Mine certainly didnt.  

My antique carburetor equipped Honda 450X don't flame out provided engine temp is above 160F. 

There's a pretty simple reason why and I am guilty too.  They are afraid of it blowing and arent going to take ANY chances.  lol

Look at the filters the bike comes with stock plus the additional ones guys put on, why?  Scared of the frag bill.   ;)

Two strokes are ride hard, ditch the hour meter, do maintenance when you fieel like it affairs.  No ticking timebomb thoughts in the back of your head.  LIke I said earlier, I do have confidence in the integrity of the motor, not much is going wrong with them, but I'd be lying if I didnt say I think about it.   ;)

I did the same thing when I rode a diesel. Checked the valves like crazy too. Tick-tock, tick-tock....could never get that thought out of my head.

Why is there such a divide between 2t and 4 guys? Ive never had the opportunity to ride a 2t and really want to, but I've never understood the division. I get why no one likes quad guys lol but even then, I'd prefer to ride with a cool quad guy or gal over no one at all.

Not sure. I started on 2-strokes as they were the only race bikes available. Then I rode a hand build xr-600 engined bike along with a yz400 and was hooked. Bought a 426 the next year. Have not gone back although I have tried a few Yz's both 144, 250 and Ktm 300's. Just don't like the short power spread. The 300 was super strong off the bottom but felt like it ran out of revs way too soon. Granted it's about 1 bike length faster up to 70 than my 350 so it's not slow. The only 2-st I really liked was a 380 which is no longer made.

I am in a place in life that cost is not all that critical. So I buy a bike ride it for a while and sell it. No need for rebuilds.

• Like 1

best thread I have seen in a while...im a never die smoker....choose a 4-t over this... DSCF1246.JPGDSCF1348.JPG uhhhh..nope!!!  nothing against 4-t's though...I ride one from time to time and they make me money

Edited by mxsteve1968
  • Like 1

For those that have real experience with both and arent stuck on thinking one is always better than the other in every situation, what have you found are some benefits of one over the other? Real benefits, not "I alway outrun 4 strokes".

If you race motocross then you have no choice but to run 4 strokes. 

If you ride trails then I prefer the lightweight and powerband of a two stroke. The newer KTM and Beta two strokes make alot of power down low without stalling. And again, it costs around $2000 to replace a four stroke top end.  It costs around $250 to replace a two stroke top end and can be done in a couple of hours, easy peasy. 

Need more info than that? 

Nah I'm just wanting some feedback and info as I have yet to ride a 2t. Id love to see what the difference is, but won't be able to afford a 5th bike for a while. Especially to buy something just to try it out ya know?