4 strokes? I THINK I've finally learned my lesson

That's my YZ in the woods exactly, such a challenge over the rocks and roots when it's wet out, just deflects and beats me up. But on the desert trails it's perfect so I'm loath to change it.

Know what ya mean. The SX slays sand and whoops compared to the EXC which just plows (gunna jack up the front preload in sand next time now I know what I'm missing, ha! ). 

• Like 1

Fun fun.

Stock suspension, actually, 2014 suspension. I've never touched a clicker in my life. Had tuned suspension for MX, always had stock MX suspension off road.

Rekluse, Steg Pegz, Mapping switch, TE bars, Honda steering dampener (Not on yet, waiting for clamps), Tu-Bliss, 18"rear, start assist, got all the go fast cheats.

Galfer braided brake lines will be here tomorrow. Honda 08+ front braking master cylinder waiting.

SingleTrack Weapon. Point and Shoot.

IMG_0377_zpsqrnu3wcu.jpg

Edited by FTB
  • Like 2

Dunno for sure but a dirty one provides for a higher level of risk vice a clean one. I'll run it dirty for a while and then clean it but not after every ride. :crazy:

We only have actual dust here from about April until September though. Too much moisture from October to March to cause dust. 

Posted in the Beta section. Completely caked. Did its job.

post-15109-0-61851200-1477268616.jpeg

Edit: sorry not trying to put you on the spot, if it looks like that's what I'm doing. 

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

Posted in the Beta section. Completely caked. Did its job.

Edit: sorry not trying to put you on the spot, if it looks like that's what I'm doing. 

Yep, when I remove mine they are sometimes caked. The inside of filter and intake tract are without dirt so it's doing the job. Because I use No Toil cleanser and oil it's an easy job. If you know me I always try to find the cheapest chemical/oil that will work. Because N.T. works well for me I don't mind spending a few extra bucks here but I'm a penny pincher elsewhere on oils and lubricants. For example I only use WD40 to lube my chain! :jawdrop:

For those that have real experience with both and arent stuck on thinking one is always better than the other in every situation, what have you found are some benefits of one over the other? Real benefits, not "I alway outrun 4 strokes".

good post, very true.  Many yap about the fun power 2s have, and they are, but I think the 450 is an absolute blast to ride too.  The power is always there, the spread is incredible, I really like it. 

Haven't the 2 strokes been found to cause cancer and death in the state of California?

Yes but so does being straight, being white, looking at or thinking about guns, having a vehicle with more than one drive axle, etc.
  • Like 2

Yep, when I remove mine they are sometimes caked. The inside of filter and intake tract are without dirt so it's doing the job. Because I use No Toil cleanser and oil it's an easy job. If you know me I always try to find the cheapest chemical/oil that will work. Because N.T. works well for me I don't mind spending a few extra bucks here but I'm a penny pincher elsewhere on oils and lubricants. For example I only use WD40 to lube my chain! :jawdrop:

I haven't used No Toil in 10 years, but it's not expensive. Does No Toil still drip into your air box if you don't ride for a couple of weeks? No, I didn't over service my filter when that happened. I always apply about 3oz of filter oil, no matter what brand. No Toil always migrated down to the bottom of the filter and then would drip into the airbox. That never happens with Bel-Ray filter oil...even if the bike sits all winter long. 

Doesn't your CRF have an o-ring chain? If so, why are you spraying WD-40 on it?

Yzf and crf 450 thumpers are very reliable. Extremely reliable. Hell, my son has an 02 yz250f that doesn't get ANY maintenance and gets just beat to crap, rev limiter works well....Won't break, and trust me I wish it would so we could move on. It's ugly, is just ragged out....starts everytime and runs like a top. I know for a fact he has 250 mx hours on the piston, crank has gotten to have 5 or 600 hours, original clutch....Won't break.

I haven't used No Toil in 10 years, but it's not expensive. Does No Toil still drip into your air box if you don't ride for a couple of weeks? No, I didn't over service my filter when that happened. I always apply about 3oz of filter oil, no matter what brand. No Toil always migrated down to the bottom of the filter and then would drip into the airbox. That never happens with Bel-Ray filter oil...even if the bike sits all winter long.

Doesn't your CRF have an o-ring chain? If so, why are you spraying WD-40 on it?

I don't like o ring chains. Once the oem wore out I replaced it with an renthal r1 chain.

The red no toil filter oil doesn't pool in my air box but could if I used too much. I'll measure how much I use next time.

• Like 1

I use Motorex spray on filter oil. I don't soak the filter in it, just spray the outside, then I spray the inside of the actual air box, most of the dust sticks to the air box before caking the air filter itself.

Less oil = more air.........................etc, etc, etc

If you want your chain to stay and look like brand new. Spray it with Inox/De watering fluid, as soon as you finish washing the bike. WD-40 is perfect for a non O-ring chain.

Edited by FTB

Fun fun.

Stock suspension, actually, 2014 suspension. I've never touched a clicker in my life. Had tuned suspension for MX, always had stock MX suspension off road.

Rekluse, Steg Pegz, Mapping switch, TE bars, Honda steering dampener (Not on yet, waiting for clamps), Tu-Bliss, 18"rear, start assist, got all the go fast cheats.

Galfer braided brake lines will be here tomorrow. Honda 08+ front braking master cylinder waiting.

SingleTrack Weapon. Point and Shoot.

IMG_0377_zpsqrnu3wcu.jpg

That's the sickness man. I really need to find an 18 rear for my yz, just so i can cycle half used take offs onto the drz.

I did like the linear power and 60mph wheelies of the 450,

vehicles-236367-0-21055000-1478552006.jp

I have several 2 strokes. My 125 is street legal (as was the 450 above): 

vehicles-236367-0-38373300-1476638192.jp

This bike (fer left) has spent much of its life as daily driven transportation. 55mpg. 85mph top speed as is. 

15 to 25 hrs between gearbox oil changes? I take it on 16 hr rides and then another the next day. 

This bike went 7 years without touching the engine other than jetting for weather. 

An unfortunate water crossing dunking ended that streak.

vehicles-236367-0-85846500-1476638206.jp

I love the peaky powerband of the 125. Ya gotta be in the right gear at the right time to make it work. 

This is a 16 year old daily driven bike that often goes on 3 and 4 day remote trips.

Often at the end of a hundreds of miles of 60-70mph highway driving. 

A KTM 2 stroke, even a small one, is not a ticking time bomb. Change the gear oil when you can. it will be ok.

vehicles-236367-0-39627100-1476638143.jp

I have a KTM 300 and 380 as well. Have had the 300 since 2006, it is off-road only but also taken on many multi-day trips where ride time is a couple dozen hours over a long weekend. No special prep, just grab the bike and go. Gear oil change a couple times a year, same as the other 2 strokes. Unless of course I cross a couple feet of water. If the water is as deep as the carb for any length of time, I generally change the oil after the ride. My 380 is very much like the 300. Same year, both untouched (other than jetting) high mileage bikes These bikes are 15 years old and have never had a new piston or ring. Firm compression, start on first kick. Both weigh about 215 lbs empty. Same as me as a matter of fact. Ignore the "250" sidecover. It is to make the 450 owners reconsider their perfect jetting...

vehicles-236367-0-04542800-1478060612.jp

The 300 and 380 are dead easy to drive. Never open the throttle more than 1/8th and you will be OK.

It will climb hills as easy as any 450 and with the 380 there is no powerband, it just kicks a$$ from idle up. 

Neither are scary powerful unless you are darned fool enough to twist it. 

Power delivery and traction of the big displacement 2 strokes is pretty much like the 450 and larger 4 strokes. 

Thump, thump GO! 

I like the 2 strokes so much I sold my 660 Raptor:

vehicles-236367-0-65559800-1478554342.jp

Seen here on a camping trip driven by a friend, to build a 250 KTM powered Blaster below:

vehicles-236367-0-68490600-1476409038.jp

The 2003 KTM 250SX is the 50hp monster that drove Jeremy McGrath to give up MX.

I tamed this monster a bit with a slightly longer pipe but at 300 lbs it is wheelies in every gear. 

This quad is faster, quicker, and 100 lbs lighter than the 660 Raptor. Less than half the engine delivers 1/3rd more power. 

4 strokes? I love them too, but these new 450s are a bit on the fragile side and quite pricey to repair. 

Money no object? Buy one! You will love it if you don't mind a bit of extra weight. 

2 strokes? What can't they do? Treated well a KTM will last a long time. I have 4 that prove it. 

Want thumping power like a 450 but not the weight and cost? Buy a big 2 stroke. Less parts, less weight, less cost. 

vehicles-236367-0-90195100-1478555802.jp

• Like 2

I really wish you hadn't posted pics of that Blaster. I have to have one of those. Sick mate!

How long did the build take? 30/90 days? 

Edited by FTB

I did like the linear power and 60mph wheelies of the 450,

vehicles-236367-0-21055000-1478552006.jp

I have several 2 strokes. My 125 is street legal (as was the 450 above): 

vehicles-236367-0-38373300-1476638192.jp

This bike (fer left) has spent much of its life as daily driven transportation. 55mpg. 85mph top speed as is. 

15 to 25 hrs between gearbox oil changes? I take it on 16 hr rides and then another the next day. 

This bike went 7 years without touching the engine other than jetting for weather. 

An unfortunate water crossing dunking ended that streak.

vehicles-236367-0-85846500-1476638206.jp

I love the peaky powerband of the 125. Ya gotta be in the right gear at the right time to make it work. 

This is a 16 year old daily driven bike that often goes on 3 and 4 day remote trips.

Often at the end of a hundreds of miles of 60-70mph highway driving. 

A KTM 2 stroke, even a small one, is not a ticking time bomb. Change the gear oil when you can. it will be ok.

vehicles-236367-0-39627100-1476638143.jp

I have a KTM 300 and 380 as well. Have had the 300 since 2006, it is off-road only but also taken on many multi-day trips where ride time is a couple dozen hours over a long weekend. No special prep, just grab the bike and go. Gear oil change a couple times a year, same as the other 2 strokes. Unless of course I cross a couple feet of water. If the water is as deep as the carb for any length of time, I generally change the oil after the ride. My 380 is very much like the 300. Same year, both untouched (other than jetting) high mileage bikes These bikes are 15 years old and have never had a new piston or ring. Firm compression, start on first kick. Both weigh about 215 lbs empty. Same as me as a matter of fact. Ignore the "250" sidecover. It is to make the 450 owners reconsider their perfect jetting...

vehicles-236367-0-04542800-1478060612.jp

The 300 and 380 are dead easy to drive. Never open the throttle more than 1/8th and you will be OK.

It will climb hills as easy as any 450 and with the 380 there is no powerband, it just kicks a$$ from idle up. 

Neither are scary powerful unless you are darned fool enough to twist it. 

Power delivery and traction of the big displacement 2 strokes is pretty much like the 450 and larger 4 strokes. 

Thump, thump GO! 

I like the 2 strokes so much I sold my 660 Raptor:

vehicles-236367-0-65559800-1478554342.jp

Seen here on a camping trip driven by a friend, to build a 250 KTM powered Blaster below:

vehicles-236367-0-68490600-1476409038.jp

The 2003 KTM 250SX is the 50hp monster that drove Jeremy McGrath to give up MX.

I tamed this monster a bit with a slightly longer pipe but at 300 lbs it is wheelies in every gear. 

This quad is faster, quicker, and 100 lbs lighter than the 660 Raptor. Less than half the engine delivers 1/3rd more power. 

4 strokes? I love them too, but these new 450s are a bit on the fragile side and quite pricey to repair. 

Money no object? Buy one! You will love it if you don't mind a bit of extra weight. 

2 strokes? What can't they do? Treated well a KTM will last a long time. I have 4 that prove it. 

Want thumping power like a 450 but not the weight and cost? Buy a big 2 stroke. Less parts, less weight, less cost. 

vehicles-236367-0-90195100-1478555802.jp

OK dude, you are livin the LIFE!  That area is beautiful!

• Like 1

OK dude, you are livin the LIFE!  That area is beautiful!

No wife, so livin' the life! No one says "NO" to another bike. (2 stroke or 4!) 

Girlfriend beside me is givin me grief about this comment...

It took about 90 days I believe, over the winter season. 

Tons of pictures of it in progress on my Facebook page. 

It is a kick a$$ little quad. 

Steve

Edited by sbest
  • Like 3