2017 FE501 arrived in the U.S.

so are you talking about a 450 closed course bike? That can be remapped or a locked 2017 Fe 501 that the dealer and mechanic will be given heavy paper for doing it?

I know a '17 500 EXC can be remapped. Should be no different for a 501 FE.
  • Like 1

I know a '17 500 EXC can be remapped. Should be no different for a 501 FE.

Thanks Kenny and guys more experienced than me on this topic.

So if a dealer, Dyno or tuning shop is willing to mess with the ECU what is involved to remap?

Do they need to get there hands on the Euro maps and then simply apply this mapping into ECU?

Also if the ECU is unlocked and you can apply a Euro map then I guess the Power Commander piggy back approach isn't required or does the PC have additional benefits?

Thanks guys

• Like 1

IMO, with a better base map and jd tuner, you cant go wrong (very simple).  Meaning none of the maps are perfect , you need the ability to tune easily.

Kennys info is positive,  worse case you'll have to buy a new blamk ecu and have it mapped, as really I don't know why a dealer would touch the locked ecu, too much risk. There's probably going to be very few dealers that will touch a stock ecu

Now the reed valve things in the intake seem to be throwing a wrench in the system,  I waiting to see how my custom tune guy deals with that. Im going to recheck in march.

Edited by Spud786

IMO, with a better base map and jd tuner, you cant go wrong (very simple). Meaning none of the maps are perfect , you need the ability to tune easily.

Kennys info is positive, worse case you'll have to buy a new blamk ecu and have it mapped, as really I don't know why a dealer would touch the locked ecu, too much risk. There's probably going to be very few dealers that will touch a stock ecu

Now the reed valve things in the intake seem to be throwing a wrench in the system, I waiting to see how my custom tune guy deals with that. Im going to recheck in march.

Thanks for clarifying. Assuming a person isn't able to find a dealer so the next step is to purchase a 16 ecu that's unlocked and install it with a 17 map and then tune. Then the challenge become getting a hold of the euro map eh?

Also, do you think a TPS adjustment is enough tuning when installing, swapping to the FC450 boot. Mine arrives Monday.

Thx Spud

Thanks for clarifying. Assuming a person isn't able to find a dealer so the next step is to purchase a 16 ecu that's unlocked and install it with a 17 map and then tune. Then the challenge become getting a hold of the euro map eh?

Also, do you think a TPS adjustment is enough tuning when installing, swapping to the FC450 boot. Mine arrives Monday.

Thx Spud

2017 type of ecu is a totally different Part number from the last 4 years, Id say there are connection changes. internally as well. 

The problem with tps only, it just throws additional fuel out there in ablanket approach, it doesn't necessarily  put it in the right places, so you actually end up with more fuel, with throttle quality degrade in addition. most don't notice this degrade cause they also gear the bike down . making it more abrupt.  There is however. benefits with mild tps adjustments along with better mapping. 

Previous alternate maps had accelerator pump settings , that is turned off on street legal bikes, and makes a huge difference.  So a tps adjustment only will never fix that.

Until more alternatives come out, all you have is the tps adjustment, if you are going to modify the bike, such as descreening or different exhaust.

I can say, I did not like tps adjustment only on my 2015.

Edited by Spud786

Since my bike is STILL at the dealer having the suspension springs swapped, I haven't yet had a chance to verify, but my FE450 isnt supposed to have a reeded boot when comparing parts fiches to the 501 / fc450.  However the part number is listed in red as basically unavailable, so i wonder what my FE450 has got going on in there from the factory.

Do you think it is safe to leave the bike 100% stock or it's so lean the risk of damaging the bike is high?

I want to keep this bike at least 10 years

The info i got is that they are pretty lean, even starving for fuel if you unplug the pipe. Thats why i bought the tps tuner...

Do you think it is safe to leave the bike 100% stock or it's so lean the risk of damaging the bike is high?

I want to keep this bike at least 10 years

you need to raise the TPS to lower the heat in the bike. I kept track of engine and exhaust temps during the times I bumped the TPS and every time they were lower temp.
  • Like 2

anyone have any idea on if pc has a tuner for the fe450? what are your guys thoughts on bds's fuel rail instead of just going with the fc450 oem rail?

On 1/1/2017 at 4:50 PM, beardedwunder said:

160/60 rear

120/70 front

Contiattacks

So... I have a 120 Diablo Rosso II tire mounted on my front Warp 9 rim.

It does NOT fit between my plastic fork protectors.

Did you do any modification with those?

Maybe the rim itself is too wide?

Edited by Filipe

29 minutes ago, Filipe said:

So... I have a 120 Diablo Rosso II tire mounted on my front Warp 9 rim.

It does NOT fit between my plastic fork protectors.

Did you do any modification with those?

Maybe the rim itself is too wide?

I'm running contiattacks and I had to trim the  fork gaurds. On the rear I removed the upper chain guide entirely and I had to cut down the front bolt for the lower chain guide when I get home I'll take some pics to show you. 

Edited by beardedwunder

On 1/24/2017 at 5:05 PM, window2time said:

Husqvarna has released the service manuals.  Yes, I know the owners manuals that come with the bikes cover the most common maintenance but the service manaual goes into full detail on everything such as servicing the fork, valve adjust, engine rebuild, etc.

I have been cruising through the manual for a few days and it seems pretty good.  I do wish that instead of coming on a DVD, it would come on a thumb drive or better yet just pay to stream it to my computer like iBooks or other streaming services.  The DVD has copyright protection and it must be in your computer to view the manual.  I made an exact copy of the manual on my hard drive but when I tried to run it, it recognized that it was working from a copy and asked me to insert the original DVD.  This might not matter to some but I use mainly Apple laptops since they no longer come with DVD drives I am stuck connecting one via USB and dragging it around with my laptop.  I know its not a big deal but something other than DVD would be preferable to me.

I think the service manual cost me about $25 and is available for order from any Husky dealer.  I do think it is worth it.  And yeah, its copyrighted so please don't ask me to reproduce any part of it.  

i-J2xNcPT-L.jpg

What is the part number for the repair manual? I can't read it with the glare.

thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 0:41 PM, N.dica said:

Since my bike is STILL at the dealer having the suspension springs swapped, I haven't yet had a chance to verify, but my FE450 isnt supposed to have a reeded boot when comparing parts fiches to the 501 / fc450.  However the part number is listed in red as basically unavailable, so i wonder what my FE450 has got going on in there from the factory.

2017 FE450 does have the reeded air boot intake.  Parts fiche from Munn says it doesn't.  Maybe a last minute EPA swap, then?  Lends credibility to performance enhancement with the unreeded boot the Euro bikes may have.  Id love a link to a Euro bike parts fiche if anyone knows of one.

Hey everybody,

New to the forum. Looking for some reviews of the new 2017 501. Whent and checked one out at my dealer today.  

How easy is  it it to get Husqvarna parts. Have heard mixed reviews.

is there a high maintanence interval on the 16/17 fe 501?

Any issues with motor/suspension/clutch?

Benifits and drawback compared to ktm 500?

Any Input would be much appreciated.

thanks everybody. Ground is gonna be nice and moist here in CA once spring hits 

Most the engine stuff crosses over to Ktm , which makes it online easy. Otherwise its the chassis stuff that will be more difficult(less options to find it and slower ,cause not kept in stock).

Rocky Mountain or Ktm World are normally my go to, online places.

KTM uses Bendix master clutch res, Husky magura

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

Damn, the intake boot for the FS/FC/FX 450 is $47.99. They want $250.69 for the FE one. That's gotta be a misprint as they don't list a price for the FE 350, or EXC 350/500.

But if not..... :lol:

5 hours ago, KennyMc said:

Damn, the intake boot for the FS/FC/FX 450 is $47.99. They want $250.69 for the FE one. That's gotta be a misprint as they don't list a price for the FE 350, or EXC 350/500.

But if not..... :lol:

its not a misprint.  The FE is a reeded box, thus the ridiculous cost.  the FC etc is just a hole.  Dunno if one is better than the other.  husky mechanic says it improves airflow to the FI, I think it might be a gimmick to satisfy EPA arseholes