2017 TE or TX 300

Almost 50 years old.  Been riding for 20 years but last 10 more serious.  Ride in NW rocky muddy single track.  Do group rides, poker runs but not racing.

Past bikes in last 10 years,

2004 WR 450 - too much bike in woods.  Did not turn well = slow

Then heavily modded KDX with modern forks = quicker

Then 2008 KTM 250 xcf with 280 kit = great bike. Still keeps up with the newer bikes.

But thinking about going back to smoker. 

Leaning towards 2017 TE 300 but heard some mixed things about the new spring suspension.  Read great reviews on the TX air forks but also read they can be harsh in the rocks. 

No option to demo ride either soon.  Dealer selling them too quick.

Anybody ride both and can give suggestions on better bike before I make a deposit.

Get the TE and likely have to respring it?  Or get the TX and modify it to make it more of a trail bike.

Also open to the KTM variations as well

Thanks, Steve

The 17 suspension is alot better than the 16 from what a buddy told me.

I was up in the air between those 2 bikes and the KTM 300XC. I ended up going with the KTM, It was about 800$ cheaper. I did want the Husky more though.  Will add the Enduro Engineering light kit soon. AER fork feels good. I also have a 16 KX450 to compare it to, and the KTM fork does seem better. 

Either way, you will like the TE and TX.  They need small work to be really good machines. Jetting/reeds/airbox/squish.

Steve, I'm your age and own both bikes. I bought a TX 300 in July and rode it in Colorado and Moab this summer. I intended to bring it to Texas to race enduro and ride in a few areas in West Texas. I found out I needed a plated bike for the area I wanted to ride so I had an excuse to buy a TE 300 also in TX and leave the TX in Colorado over the winter for a snow bike. (The good part about this strategy is my wife can't tell them apart and thinks it is only one new bike)

Now to your question: I have about 25 hours on the TX and about 15 on the TE. I've ridden the TX at anywhere from 5,000 feet to as high as 12,000+ feet. The TE has only been at close to sea level to maybe 1,000 feet.

So I cannot give you a fair power comparison. Some other key impressions on the TX Vs TE

1)The suspension is stiffer than TE and I had to dial it way softer to suit me.

2) I love the air fork. I like it better than the TE front fork. The worries about maintenance are overblown. Zero issues and it is magic in nasty rocky sections out west.

3) Bike changes directions like an F-16. My brother has a new FX 450 and it's a beast, but it feels much harder to make quick directional changes. TE is very good too.

4) what you have read about the TX carb sucking is true. It's been a pain in the ass and I will probably go Lectron. Strangely, my "at sea level" TE hasn't had any carb issues (same OEM spec I think) and jetting is crisp. I think it's the altitude and range I am fighting.

5) Both motors lug from stupid low rpm. You have to try to kill the motor. I raced the TE yesterday in nasty conditions (ruts, tree roots, steep drops and climbs, wet) and found I could ride a gear up where traction was poor with non problem. I could crank down a gear and get after it where it made sense.

I have a Husaberg 390 4 stroke and a light KTM 200XCW also. I figured I had a lightweight high revving bike and a grunty 4 stroke in the stable. Guess what ? Haven't ridden either one since I got on a 300. You can ride this bike like a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke. On the pipe or lug down low. Your call.

As to TE vs TX , I think the differences aren't as big as some claim. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with the TX because of the air fork. I am a fan of it. I also like the slightly lighter weight and racier setup. I do like the fact that you can plate the TE, the stock odometer setup and the OEM lights. If those are irrelevant to you, go TX.

Either way, you will not be disappointed. This is the best bike I have ever ridden.

• Like 1

Steve, I'm your age and own both bikes. I bought a TX 300 in July and rode it in Colorado and Moab this summer. I intended to bring it to Texas to race enduro and ride in a few areas in West Texas. I found out I needed a plated bike for the area I wanted to ride so I had an excuse to buy a TE 300 also in TX and leave the TX in Colorado over the winter for a snow bike. (The good part about this strategy is my wife can't tell them apart and thinks it is only one new bike)

Now to your question: I have about 25 hours on the TX and about 15 on the TE. I've ridden the TX at anywhere from 5,000 feet to as high as 12,000+ feet. The TE has only been at close to sea level to maybe 1,000 feet.

So I cannot give you a fair power comparison. Some other key impressions on the TX Vs TE

1)The suspension is stiffer than TE and I had to dial it way softer to suit me.

2) I love the air fork. I like it better than the TE front fork. The worries about maintenance are overblown. Zero issues and it is magic in nasty rocky sections out west.

3) Bike changes directions like an F-16. My brother has a new FX 450 and it's a beast, but it feels much harder to make quick directional changes. TE is very good too.

4) what you have read about the TX carb sucking is true. It's been a pain in the ass and I will probably go Lectron. Strangely, my "at sea level" TE hasn't had any carb issues (same OEM spec I think) and jetting is crisp. I think it's the altitude and range I am fighting.

5) Both motors lug from stupid low rpm. You have to try to kill the motor. I raced the TE yesterday in nasty conditions (ruts, tree roots, steep drops and climbs, wet) and found I could ride a gear up where traction was poor with non problem. I could crank down a gear and get after it where it made sense.

I have a Husaberg 390 4 stroke and a light KTM 200XCW also. I figured I had a lightweight high revving bike and a grunty 4 stroke in the stable. Guess what ? Haven't ridden either one since I got on a 300. You can ride this bike like a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke. On the pipe or lug down low. Your call.

As to TE vs TX , I think the differences aren't as big as some claim. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with the TX because of the air fork. I am a fan of it. I also like the slightly lighter weight and racier setup. I do like the fact that you can plate the TE, the stock odometer setup and the OEM lights. If those are irrelevant to you, go TX.

Either way, you will not be disappointed. This is the best bike I have ever ridden.

Great post!

I was looking for a new bike that could lug amd was light, and yesterday i tried the tx300. I was blown away by its lightweight, ease to pick up from a fall, nimbleness, insane torque and luggability.

The only thing i didnt like was that when sitting down i found the rearshock quite punishing.

So far my issue seems ultra lightweight and harsh ride, vs slightly higher weight amd plush suspension.

Since you have had both of these bikes, could you clarify if the ride on the tx rear shock can be set as plush as on the te ? On the other hand is the extraweight of the te felt when you are picking the bike up from the ground ?

Thanks!

Edited by Dangolish

The TX rear end does beat you up a bit more, but I dialed it way soft. As a matter of fact, all of the settings on the bike are at mid point from the factory. I kept farting around with a click or two softer until I finally went full soft and started going stiffer bit by bit from there. I am still set up considerably softer than the factory settings.

You probably had the feeling that the rear end was chattering and banging your ass in mid speed rough sections. I was able to dial this out. I think post break in it was a bit better also. I think the TE is a more forgiving rear end, but I think the air shock in front on the TX transmits less vibration and sharpness.

I did put a factory bar riser with dampening inserts on the TE as I wanted the bars higher for a more comfortable standing position. I am going to put the softer inserts in soon. I am also going to add this to the TX. I figure it can't hurt. The TE rear end is more forgiving, but what you felt on the TX you can mitigate considerably.

As to the weight difference on pick up, I don't think you will feel much difference. The CG is in the same place and the weight difference is under 15 lbs. I was bragging that I only dumped the TX once and the TE zero times. Which means I am overdue.

BUT this is a cheater bike and that's the most important point. It's so good, you can get yourself out of trouble in a lot of cases. Several times on nasty steep climbs or bombed out ruts, you can use the clutch and low end grunt to keep moving where I know I would be toast on my other bikes. And it's light enough and nimble enough to let you quickly clean up little directional or line mistakes.

Hope this helps....

• Like 1

It really does ! Thanks. Im surprised that the aer fork is less sharp, given that that bike is part mx bike.

Would you say the TE is for sure the more forgiving of the two in nasty trailriding for begginers, as the marketing and the forums would make you think ?

I have both a te250 and fx350. The te is very plush at slow speeds and technical, rough single track. The fx, has a firmer "racier" feel, works better the faster its pushed. IMO

I think the FX and TX chassis setup is the same as they are both from the cross country race line and have the same suspension component and geometry.

I haven't ridden the FX 350, but am sure it is great.

I've been riding a '15 TE300 since the end of '14 and just finished a full race season on it here in the Southeast. I will race this bike one more season and wait to see if the fuel injected versions do in fact make it here to the US as rumored. The double edged sword is to see if Husky figures theses carbs out or go with the heavier fuel injection system. Ultimately, I will be racing the TE for one more season before buying a '18 TE or TX. I have done some research and still cannot find wholesale changes between the two bikes, but definitely leaning towards the TX. Found that the light system on the TE doesn't do much for me so why carry the extra weight.

Suspension is a big one and talking with the guys that have raced the AER, they seem to like it a lot. However, I do believe some mods are necessary to the suspension to tune it to the rider's preference as with the Xplor / 4CS. Will definitely go with Stillwell as usual as they always seem to have these KTM/Husky suspensions figured out. The AER weights a few pounds less than the Eplor as advertised.

Someone mentioned the handling is spot-on and this is another reason I'm leaning towards the TX. Not that the TE is poor, but I have found that the bike has a ghost push sometimes coming out of a turn (even running 6lbs air pressure in the tubliss system). Who knows, maybe I won't even notice the difference but worth a shot. Not sure what the difference is with the semi-close ratio transmission on the TX compared to the TE; is this an MX transmission? Not sure, but I do know it has a 350cc case if that makes a difference.

I'm assuming the TX has the same new engine as the TE so the vibrations should seriously be reduced. Can't wait for this for sure, riders say the new engine is unreal. I love my TE and really can't complain about anything except for the factory suspension which went by-by after a few weeks. Also, took a bit of time for me to dial in the tuning to be smoother while running a Rekluse clutch. Finally, I installed the red power valve spring, a 280 PSI Belleville washer, and a 38 pilot jet - all seem to work well together. I did have a problem with a bad crank seal but that is about the only problem I've run into. Looking forward to reading other comments from the TX owners.

Has anyone taken the husky 300tx out on a mx track?

Polesitter - thank you for the write ups. Let me know if you make it over to the Houston area. We have a mix or trail and track.

Sandman, I am in Houston. Hopefully I will see you at a TORCS, TRH or in the Natl Forest. Keep an eye out for number 711. That's me on the TE.

Has anyone taken the husky 300tx out on a mx track?

I use my TX300 at local moto tracks regularly.  The stock suspension has a broad operation range with changes in fork pressure and clickers.  For moto I run 4 psi higher fork pressure and clickers 2~3 stiffer than stock (this is close to "Sport" setting in the manual).  I am a 50+ vet intermediate speed at 190 lbs.  My son is 20 years old, 160 lbs, and fast B rider.  He says the TX300 is soft for his speed on the moto track but rideable (he prefers my 16.5 KTM 450 Factory Edition better for moto).  I think you will be hard pressed to find a more versatile off road bike.  I posted this pic of my son airing out my TX300 in another thread but still fun to see! 

BBIMG_7687_zpsxqo5exii.jpg