Possible to warp cases?

Hi, I have once posted on this forum before do to my cases leaking oil, sent them to a trusted mechanic to be split and have a new gasket installed. Everything went good, get the bike back, run it and get off of it to found oil leaking again. I have talk to that mechanic as well as another one and both say that my cases are just bad and will no longer mesh together properly. The one said my cases possibly got to heated and warped. I know this is a lot but I'm really just at a loss for it all. I personally don't know what to think, but I think personally that the case is cracked. I'll provide a picture of why I think this and maybe I can get some opinions here. I'm thinking I'll just look for a blown up engine and swap those cases to my current one as the top end was just rebuilt and the bottom end was checked out.

Bike: 2000 rm250

1478243597754.jpg

It's hard to say by the photo. It could just be a casting mark. It would be wet if it was a crack. Did you clean that spot right before the photo?

Typically cases leak because of a knick or a burr makes them out-of-flat. Which case did your "trusted" mechanic say was warped? Either one could be flattened easily. If it's the outer case you won't have to worry about splitting the motor.

Edited by ohiodrz400sm

It's hard to say by the photo. It could just be a casting mark. It would be wet if it was a crack. Did you clean that spot right before the photo?

Typically cases leak because of a knick or a burr makes them out-of-flat. Which case did your "trusted" mechanic say was warped? Either one could be flattened easily. If it's the outer case you won't have to worry about splitting the motor.

I did clean the case right before hand, but I didn't spray ot down just wiped it with a rag, so if you look closely at the bottom portion of the picture there is a little drop of oil forming to drip. It is clean because there was only one ride before I discovered this. The mechanic aho worked on this actually didn't specify which case is bad, he kinda just said "cases"

Is that where the leak is coming from (drip) or did the oil migrate from somewhere else like the center case gasket or down that seam?

Is that the lower motor mount bolt that is directly below the crankshaft in the picture?  If you pull that bolt out, does it have oil on it or in that cavity?

Just trying to figure out if you are leaking transmission oil or residual premix from the crankcase.  The area pictured looks to be directly below the crankcase/crankshaft

Is that where the leak is coming from (drip) or did the oil migrate from somewhere else like the center case gasket or down that seam?

Is that the lower motor mount bolt that is directly below the crankshaft in the picture? If you pull that bolt out, does it have oil on it or in that cavity?

Just trying to figure out if you are leaking transmission oil or residual premix from the crankcase. The area pictured looks to be directly below the crankcase/crankshaft

Yes that is the lower motor mount shown in the picture, I have yet to try and pull the bolt to see if it does have oil, I will do that and get back to you.

Hi, I have once posted on this forum before do to my cases leaking oil, sent them to a trusted mechanic to be split and have a new gasket installed. Everything went good, get the bike back, run it and get off of it to found oil leaking again. I have talk to that mechanic as well as another one and both say that my cases are just bad and will no longer mesh together properly. The one said my cases possibly got to heated and warped. I know this is a lot but I'm really just at a loss for it all. I personally don't know what to think, but I think personally that the case is cracked. I'll provide a picture of why I think this and maybe I can get some opinions here. I'm thinking I'll just look for a blown up engine and swap those cases to my current one as the top end was just rebuilt and the bottom end was checked out.

Bike: 2000 rm250

attachicon.gif20161012_144846.jpg

Judging by the picture it could be just a casting mark or a crack. A sure way of knowing is to have a mechanic do a leak test on your cases. If it leaks there then it's broke. It is indeed possible to warp the cases and could be a sign of a cooling issue if it's getting that hot. My suggestion is to get new cases, bearings and seals. It will cost a pretty penny but over all it will ensure that there isn't anything wrong with the cases anymore.

I was very afraid of that. Can you explain in short how a leak test works? Is it possible to do it at home? Atleast a way to test the cooling system? I have put a lot of money in this bike, more than i ever will get back so the bike being sold would not be worth and more money into will be lol. Would it be cheaper to find a blown engine and swap cases or is that not worth it?

Drain the oil, clean off engine with alcohol or brake cleaner and use a nice big ole tube of oil resistant RTV around the whole seal with a nice steady continuous bead all the way around, wait 24 hours and refill oil, Not a factory Suzuki race bike and definitely not a factory fix to your problem, but it will fix the issue and get you back out riding.

Drain the oil, clean off engine with alcohol or brake cleaner and use a nice big ole tube of oil resistant RTV around the whole seal with a nice steady continuous bead all the way around, wait 24 hours and refill oil, Not a factory Suzuki race bike and definitely not a factory fix to your problem, but it will fix the issue and get you back out riding.

I'll be honest I have highly thought of the idea to do so, there is just one issue (which i haven't checked yet) but last time this happened oil was also located in the stator cover. I am just afraid of hurting the electrical aspect too. I mean like i said i haven't checked yet but if it isnt in there, i'll (sadly) probably do this.
  • Like 1

Unfortunately you have to have special equipment to do a leak test. Basically you pressurize the case and you would squirt areas with soapy water and where bubbles come out is where it's leaking. If it's a 2 stroke I'd go that route of a junk engine and just swap parts around with what's good and toss the rest. However if it's a 4 stoke you're going to be spending more and more money, I speak from experience that 1 case with gaskets and bearing is about $750, and I've done both sides of my cases on my 450.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you have to have special equipment to do a leak test. Basically you pressurize the case and you would squirt areas with soapy water and where bubbles come out is where it's leaking. If it's a 2 stroke I'd go that route of a junk engine and just swap parts around with what's good and toss the rest. However if it's a 4 stoke you're going to be spending more and more money, I speak from experience that 1 case with gaskets and bearing is about $750, and I've done both sides of my cases on my 450.

Luckily it is 2stroke, guess im now looking for a 2000 rm250 engine

Would any be able to provide info on other years that may work too? Much appreciated

I'm sorry, can you explain what the outer case is?

not sure about yours without seeing it, but for example my RMZ450 has 2 outer cases and 2 case halves. You can see them in the attached picture ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1478391730.216685.jpg Edited by xMUDKINGx

1478404043772.jpg1478404093777.jpg

These are two pictures I can provide for the engine, excuse it's dirtiness, at this time it was before cleaning