Hey guys. I have a 2004 honda crf150f and I would like to do some minor or possibly major mods. Can you tell me what mods you think I should do that are relatively inexpensive or mods you may have done? 

Thanks,

Will

Uncork and jet - $30 - 60 ( good time to rebuild the carb ).

Fix forks  - Under $100

Fix shock - Under $300

Change springs if you're heavy or light:  $200 - $300

High compression piston and a cam to go with it - Under $500 ( not sure ).

Don't bother with a pipe until you do the piston and cam.

Edited by tedcool

Jet kit and maybe a pipe.

You can spend enough money to buy a 450 and it will never be what the 150R is.

Depends on what your definition of "IS" is....

Price, suspension, HP, Torque are certainly not a problem compared to a 150r.

I get it. It's fun to hot rod play bikes. My " daughter's" CRF70 has BBR E-6 forks, works performance shock, extended swingarm, and a high compression piranha 140 motor.

The 15 year old author of this post is better off convincing dad to buy a different bike if he want/needs more performance.

The 15 year old author of this post is better off convincing dad to buy a different bike if he want/needs more performance.

Of course this ststement is corect regarding out and out bike performance. However, I really believe a young (or any age) rider is benefitted by developing their riding skills on a more durable, easy to work on bike which allows day after day after day of hard riding. I'd encourage the young man to ride the wheels off his 150. Open the airbox and rejet ($30) Work on suspension when the funds are a available which will provide a great education about bike setup. Tug on Mom's heartstrings and convince her how getting some Gary Semics or Shane Watts videos will make him a safer rider. Practice what's taught over and over and over. Keep the bike in tip top shspe. Work out, run, ride bicycles. Make fitness a life-long habit. Ride with faster friends on faster bikes until he can smoke them. That will teach confidence, riding skills snd bike maintenance as a priority.

The fastest/best riders I know can smoke riders on faster bikes easily.

Enjoy your cool CRF 150F, learn to really ride. Have fun smoking kids on more substantial bikes which Mommy and Daddy bought for them. It's a rewarding experience.

Edited by motrock93b
  • Like 3

Of course this ststement is corect regarding out and out bike performance. However, I really believe a young (or any age) rider is benefitted by developing their riding skills on a more durable, easy to work on bike which allows day after day after day of hard riding. I'd encourage the young man to ride the wheels off his 150. Open the airbox and rejet ($30) Work on suspension when the funds are a available which will provide a great education about bike setup. Tug on Mom's heartstrings and convince her how getting some Gary Semics or Shane Watts videos will make him a safer rider. Practice what's taught over and over and over. Keep the bike in tip top shspe. Work out, run, ride bicycles. Make fitness a life-long habit. Ride with faster friends on faster bikes until he can smoke them. That will teach confidence, riding skills snd bike maintenance as a priority.

The fastest/best riders I know can smoke faster riders on faster bikes easily.

Enjoy your cool CRF 150F, learn to really ride. Have fun smoking kids on more substantial bikes which Mommy and Daddy bought for them. It's a rewarding experience.

True, to a point. If he is riding with friends on mx bikes and tries to do the same things they can do, he is likely going to get hurt.

True, to a point. If he is riding with friends on mx bikes and tries to do the same things they can do, he is likely going to get hurt.

When he gets to that point he can approach Mom again about the safety of a true MX bike. When he applies his skills to that bike he will be on a higher level. He'll have to learn to use his head and evaluate conditions in order to ride within his and the bike's limits.

After having modern mx bikes for a few years I bought a well used CRF 230 with exactly this concept in mind. I had ridden my xr100 playbike with my 450 and 250 two stroke mx friends on tracks. I'm fully grown (170 lbs) and could beat some of them. Corner speed and momentum. I took this concept to the 230. The day I brought it home I patted it on the front fender and apologised to it for what I was going to do with it. I did drills, trail riding and tracks with it. Riding a bike like this really teaches one to learn improved rider technique. To use one's head to pick smoother lines and keep up momentum. How technique can smoith out rough terrain. Oh yeah, and how to descend failed steep hillclimbs.

I'm not arguing. Ohiodrz400sm's point is valid. I just really believe in the concept. Besides. It's the bike he has. It's a cool bike and he can have a lot of fun riding it and tricking it out.

Edited by motrock93b
  • Like 2

When he gets to thst point he can approach Mom again about the safety of a true MX bike. When he applies his skills to that bike he will be on a higher level. He'll have to learn to use his head and evaluate conditions in order to ride within his and the bike's limits.

After having modern mx bikes for a few years I bought a well used CRF 230 with exactly this concept in mind. I had ridden my xr100 playbike with my 450 and 250 two stroke mx bikes on tracks. I'm fully grown (170 lbs) and could beat some of them. Corner speed and momentum. I took this concept to the 230. The day I brought it home I patted it on the front fender and apologised to it for what I was going to do with it. I did drills, trail riding and tracks with it. Riding a bike like this really teaches one to learn improved rider technique. To use one's head to pick smoother lines and keep up momentum. How technique can smoith out rough terrain. Oh yeah, and how to descend failed steep hillclimbs.

I'm not arguing. Ohiodrz400sm's point is valid. I just really believe in the concept. Besides. It's the bike he has. It's a cool bike and he can have a lot of fun riding it and tricking it out.

I agree, slow bikes make riders faster overall. But once a rider has mastered basic riding techniques, a play bike will hinder the development of advanced riding skills. The major limiting factor being the suspension. Not only is it uncomfortable, it is easily overwhelmed and can result it a fall. It should be pointed out, the op has another post inquiring about MX tracks in his area. If MX is truly what he wants to do, he's on the wrong bike. That's my opinion. If it was my kid and I felt they were ready to ride on a MX track, I would send them out with all the appropriate gear, including motorcycle.
  • Like 1

I agree, slow bikes make riders faster overall. But once a rider has mastered basic riding techniques, a play bike will hinder the development of advanced riding skills. The major limiting factor being the suspension. Not only is it uncomfortable, it is easily overwhelmed and can result it a fall. It should be pointed out, the op has another post inquiring about MX tracks in his area. If MX is truly what he wants to do, he's on the wrong bike. That's my opinion. If it was my kid and I felt they were ready to ride on a MX track, I would send them out with all the appropriate gear, including motorcycle.

I'm in full agreement. MX is serious. If he were my kid, I'd make sure he was fully commited to it before letting him hit the track. I'd establish something like a 100/100 rule. When he can do 100 pushups and wheelie 100 yards on his 150f he can get a motocross bike and start riding tracks. I believe he'd have much more fun at the track when he has confidence in his basic riding skills. At that point, I'd do exactly what ohiodrz400sm suggests. Riding skill/technique are the best safety precaution, and of course the best safety equipment is mandatory.

Going to a mx track before the rider can "ride" can be a setup for frustration. This can lead to "videogame"itis.

Edited by motrock93b
  • Like 2

A friend of my son has a decent small MX track at his house.

I went there with my 230 and had a bit of fun, including my first time jumping a table top.

His dad and another buddy had their 450 bikes.  Different world. 

I told them I had brought a knife to  a gun fight.

My son had a good time chasing his best friend on a KX85 with his CRF150.  First time for him, too!

No worries.  We weren't racing, just having fun.

• Like 2

You can spend enough money to buy a 450 and it will never be what the 150R is.

100% true. But also 100% vice versa.

One of my riding buddies is on a 150R. If we go anywhere technical, the R gets stalled probably 30 times during the day. Dunno if you've ever had to start a racey 4 stroke after a flame-out just as accelerator pump sprays in a bunch of fuel. It's almost hilarious to watch.

I have a 150F that my fairly newb girlfriend rides on trails. It gets stalled once per day, every other day. Always starts first kick unless it has fallen over. Then it takes 2 kicks.

I paid $1500 for my F. Came with USD forks from an 80 or 85R. Haven't seen an R for less than $2000 in my area. How much does it cost to make a 150R have putt putt torque?

However, as far as the point you're making.. I traded a trail bike for a more MX oriented bike because I wanted to start doing more MX oriented riding. Although I can ride my XR on the MX track, it takes a lot more work.

• Like 2

100% true. But also 100% vice versa.

One of my riding buddies is on a 150R. If we go anywhere technical, the R gets stalled probably 30 times during the day. Dunno if you've ever had to start a racey 4 stroke after a flame-out just as accelerator pump sprays in a bunch of fuel. It's almost hilarious to watch.

I have a 150F that my fairly newb girlfriend rides on trails. It gets stalled once per day, every other day. Always starts first kick unless it has fallen over. Then it takes 2 kicks.

I paid $1500 for my F. Came with USD forks from an 80 or 85R. Haven't seen an R for less than $2000 in my area. How much does it cost to make a 150R have putt putt torque?

However, as far as the point you're making.. I traded a trail bike for a more MX oriented bike because I wanted to start doing more MX oriented riding. Although I can ride my XR on the MX track, it takes a lot more work.

A 45 pilot jet is only a few dollars and immensely improves starting and low end performance. Slightly lower gear helps as well.

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses. I am getting a new bike next summer (probably a 450x), so that is why I want to do cheap modifications. Is the FMF powercore 4 worth the 250 dollars? I chose to buy this bike because it was very cheap and fun to ride on moderate woods trails (and easy to maintain as well). I ride with my friends on woods trails, so this bike was a better choice than a mx bike with high maintenance. I want to get a MX bike eventually.

Edited by WillHonda

150F to 450x.  Yikes!

I wouldn't bother with a $250 pipe.  I'd get a high compression piston instead.

Wiseco kit - $140

http://www.motoxoutlet.com/wisecohondacrf230piston.aspx

Wossner Kit - $160

http://www.xrsonly.com/wossner-piston-kit-honda-crf230f-2003-2010-230cc-66-46mm-high-compression

Edited by tedcool

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses. I am getting a new bike next summer (probably a 450x), so that is why I want to do cheap modifications. Is the FMF powercore 4 worth the 250 dollars? I chose to buy this bike because it was very cheap and fun to ride on moderate woods trails (and easy to maintain as well). I ride with my friends on woods trails, so this bike was a better choice than a mx bike with high maintenance. I want to get a MX bike eventually.

You don't need a complete exhaust, just an oversized header pipe. (XRs only of FMF)

There is no HP to be found by changing the muffler. (Unless the complete system comes with an oversized header) .... but the muffler does not increase HP.

A 45 pilot jet is only a few dollars and immensely improves starting and low end performance. Slightly lower gear helps as well.

Don't need one. My 150F makes great torque and is quite difficult to stall.