Best Boots?

Getting my first trials bike. Seems most riders wear a variation of the standard MX boot. Any suggestions?

Mark

If trials is all you are going to do then get a proper set of trials boots. They are so much better than mx boots, way more flex, a lot lighter and a lot easier to walk sections in. I have a set of alpinestar no stop boot than are so comfortable.

I recently caught  the trials bug and wanted to get some boots. The guy I got one of my bikes from had a pair of the Alpinestars that I tried out, they fit very well once I got them on. I thought holly cow have I gotten fat, it was a chore just  to get them buckled. I could have bought them at a nice price but didn't want to jump into it too soon. I read as much as I could on the subject but you just cant find local shops that stock trials boots let alone any trials related products. Worst yet  I happen to have Fred Flintstone feet and have never ordered footwear due to sizing problems and was reluctant in doing so. I finally  bit the bullet and got the Gaerne Balance Tech boots very reasonably and they are much more comfortable for me than the Alpinestars were. I'm not such a lard ass after all  as buckling them is easier too. Of course this is all personal preference. I hope this helps Z

• Like 1

I'm in the market myself for some. A friend loves the Gaerne's. Says they're more comfortable than his tennis shoes. But he spent a LOT of money in shipping getting the size right. I've been sending my foot measurements to different stores in Europe (virtually impossible to find here in the States in my size). That's what I'd suggest.

I've heard the Alpinestars No Stops are a little stiffer, but the post by doctorchopper makes me wonder if I shouldn't still try a pair. They seem to be a little more available here in the US, and I've found them in the $250 range. They got a great review in Dirt Rider mag back a few years ago.

The Forma's also have a good rep, and I've seen more than a few pros wearing them. Of course, if they get them for free, I guess I'd wear them too lol.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

For sizing I wear 10.5 EEE Red Wing shoes exclusively and decided to order the Gaerne Balance Pro Tech's in 11's  and they fit perfectly. When I read how comfortable they were I was very skeptical. After getting them  I was going to start a post how nice these boots fit but never got around to doing it and I got a really good deal, under $200 shipped. Not sure if it's ok to promote where I got them though,   Z

I have a pair of like new gaerne oil Balance boots size 8 that were too big. I replaced them with size 7 and love the Gaerne. PM me if you are interested. $100 off internet prices.

Leo

I apologize to anyone I misled by my previous post. I was quoting $100 of the Gaerne oil Balanced Boots as listed on Revzilla or Motosports.com. I paid nearly $350 with shipping from a trials dealer. I am looking for $250 for the boots.

Very sorry for an confusion I caused,

Leo

I'm in the market myself for some. A friend loves the Gaerne's. Says they're more comfortable than his tennis shoes. But he spent a LOT of money in shipping getting the size right. I've been sending my foot measurements to different stores in Europe (virtually impossible to find here in the States in my size).

I hear Atomic Moto is super helpful with getting you the right size, and they do carry Gaerne trials boots, probably some other brands. Video descriptions of them on the website, also.

Edited by clappedoutkx
  • Like 1

I've been reading a LOT on trials boots this week. Here's what I've come up with (YMMV) ...

Gaerne's seem to be, hands down, the most comfy boots right outta the box. But also offering the least protection. Some said they become TOO worn in after they see a good amount of use, becoming flimsy.

Sidi's are possibly the most shamelessly expensive. This probably explains why the were nearly the least reviewed. Owners seemed pleased, but I could say that about most brands I read up on. Fairly good protection, but not superb. Some reported that they fell apart quicker than other brands.

Novogar's seem lesser known, so not many reviews. But owners were very happy. They take a while to break in, but last a while and offer decent protection. I'm currently awaiting a response from a vendor on eBay of these (red, white and suede finish). IMO very cool looking. I did read one review that said the colors faded quickly and didn't wear well. But he was a fierce rider, I believe competing in the SSDT.

The Forma's were almost unanimous in happy owners. Maybe one or two that just questioned the longevity. But a good boot at a good price.

Wulfsport's seemed to be the rarest, aside from the Novogar's. The few people who had them love them, but one guy mentioned that the only drawback for him was the stigma of the brand. Not sure what he meant, maybe a walmart name???

Another seemingly unanimous feeling was that the best protection in a trials boot were the Alpinestars. A lot of people use the No Stops. But, unlike most other brands that have sewed-on soles, the Alpinestars did not. Can't see where that's much of a problem, since the uppers in trials boots wear much quicker than the soles. And although offering the most protection, they also offered a lot of comfort - both right out of the box and even more with time and use.

IMO looks - the No Stops look great and the Novogar's maybe the best (just my opinion). There are new Alpinestars (Tech 1 maybe?) that are white with a couple different colors. Awesome looking. And the James Dabill edition of the Forma's also to me are among the best looking. For me, the least attractive are the Wulfsports, but I'd still wear them without reservations.

That's all I've got so far. This is based on about a week of reading every night on these boots. I'm sure a lot more has been written, thus quite possibly a different consensus, depending on the reviews.

Oh yeah, and aside from very few great vendors from UK and Italy, getting responses from these people on sizing is like pulling teeth. Seems like no one wants to sell these. I've even called Lewisport in CA, and have trouble getting them to answer. In defense of them, though, they are changing locations this weekend, so I'll chalk it up to that. I have an extremely small foot, and have been asking the vendors just to measure the insole for me. I realize that may be going a little above and beyond for them, but you'd think a place selling shoes online would assume that's part of the game. Buying shoes and boots online is a miserable (and likely expensive) experience. None of the sizes seem to match the others between makers, and the widths vary greatly. I'd just be happy to get one close to my size, for a price that doesn't require surrendering a kidney.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Like 1

After having Gaerne Balance Oiled for quite a few years, I switched to Alpinestars Tech T when they were released.  Big improvement for me, is the sole shank in the Tech T.  The Gaerne doesn't have this and soles are just too soft when working the edge of the pegs, for my old sore feet.  Overall they are better protection than the super soft Gaerne boots.  I got a super deal from Freestyle Extreme in the UK, but had to go with the Flo Yellow/Red colorway to get my size.  I would have preferred the Oiled Brown.

Pure rookie trials rider here, but I wear either tall work boots for lawn playing or my sidi x3 mx boots for logs and rocks. The sidis have an external brace and articulate very well while giving protection. I'm still breaking them in and they are much better than traditional mx boots

Edited by bikesandcars

I've had a pair of alpine stars no stop, very comfortable but sole came off within a year, it was glued on, don't know if the latest ones have stiched soles. I've currently got a pair of oiled stylmartin boots, very comfortable, well made boot, replaceable sole, they've done really well over the year.

Pure rookie trials rider here, but I wear either tall work boots for lawn playing or my sidi x3 mx boots for logs and rocks. The sidis have an external brace and articulate very well while giving protection. I'm still breaking them in and they are much better than traditional mx boots

That's what I'm doing too. Just got a pair of leather work boots with a sole like the trials boots - no heel. Seem sturdy, and much more affordable at $60. I would've bought a pair of trials boots from several of the vendors on eBay. But none of them seems very interested in taking my money. Getting them to answer messages is just about impossible. Is it just that British smuggery? ;)

I've had a pair of alpine stars no stop, very comfortable but sole came off within a year, it was glued on, don't know if the latest ones have stiched soles. I've currently got a pair of oiled stylmartin boots, very comfortable, well made boot, replaceable sole, they've done really well over the year.

That's what disgusts me about the pricing on these boots. Seems it more reflects supply and demand than quality of construction. I've already determined in my mind that no stitching=no buy. The No Stops are out for me.
  • Like 1

I have wolfsports,they are very comfortable last time I was into trials I had Garne,tbh no real difference just way cheaper.

I have Formas and I'm really happy with them.

Ive been looking for formas I am also from missouri Where did you buy them?