Radiator tab/ Horn exc 2015

Looks like the weight of the horn will eventually break the radiator tab that its mounted to.  Didn't break the hole tab, just the outside edge, which means the little hexagonal insert, loses its support to stay put.

I've just removed my horn for now, till I figure out where to put it. Got the yearly inspection today, so I have a year to figure it out.

I thought maybe hitting small branches caused it, but later ive concluded the horn weight caused fatiguing, and the main source of failure.

As to fixing the radiator tab, first thought was well shit, another chassis part on the ktm not holding up. Having a tig welder and the know how would have been nice. But I used a series of washers that fit over the hexagonal insert, with extreme high temp jb weld. I guess I'll find out how it holds tomorrow, but the weight of the horn is no longer there, and so far looks to be holding and all back together, but haven't been through any abuse yet.

Edited by Spud786

I've fallen over and found my horn wrapped around almost to the back of the radiator on my 501.

On my 350EXC, I had relocated it to a bolt down on the back of the cylinder if I recall right. Just picked any bolt.

I've just ordered new shrouds for the 501 as it ripped the hole apart where the horn attaches.

Edited by KennyMc

Kenny, did you just rip the plastic or the metal radiator tab too?

tomexc, I'll post some pictures, when I pull the tank next time, which probably wont be long , and nearing another 100 hour valve check.

I've had to bend the tab back twice now. But it's still in tact. But for how much more abuse, don't know...
  • Like 1

I have the Bullet Proof Designs radiator guards on my 500. I've thought about actually moving the horn mount to the top of that mount. The aluminum is nice and thick up there.

Sounds like something that one needs to keep an eye on.

Spud,

How many miles do you have on your 500 by now???

Don't the BPD rad guards protect the radiator tab? I was disappointed the '17 version lost this functionality. These are for '16 and earlier.

IMG_1479049139.668268.jpg

Edited by KennyMc

Don't the BPD rad guards protect the radiator tab? I was disappointed the '17 version lost this functionality. These are for '16 and earlier.

IMG_1479049139.668268.jpg

Yeah, I guess so. I forgot about that. But, as I recall, you have to bend that tab out of the way to install the guards.

Unrelated, one thing that I really like about the BPD guards is that they have the oversized rubber brands that hold the air scoops on. I thought that those would be cheesy at first, but they definitely protect the connection points on the plastics...

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!! So, while it sucks that it broke, that's still a LOT of miles on an aluminum part on a dirt bike!!! ?

Just too much stress with horn bouncing weight around on that tab

1120174120.jpgbasically to the left of that hexoganal insert , it all broke off

I definitely don't seem to have the wire length to mount over on the chain side without splicing, I think I'll eventually attempt behind the Headlight shroud when ever I work up the energy, being its a 4 day riding weekend, just doing maintenance to ride at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So the JB weld worked for a few weeks, so looking for a better repair. Ive been trying to Braze aluminum with little success, aluminum brazing rods from home depot not worth a crap, I have test aluminum strips and the aluminum melts before the rod. Even if you fry the rod, it melts like crap.

So Ive been studying and you cant get the real stuff local, Im going to try this stuff from Techno weld, and reasonably priced, designed to braze any aluminum alloy and magnesium.(special rods)

any welders out there. with any thoughts?

Edited by Spud786

I received my technoweld and this stuff is outstanding, it actually worked!    for all aluminum alloys and magnesium.

This will correct my issue on rad tab and also fix any aluminum sub frame issues that you might have. You cant get this stuff local, but for $25 its a buy.

Here is my test aluminum pieces, and I stepped right through the process no problem  , instant success with Brazing/weld.  Nothing I tried previously would  work. They are strongly brazed/welded together, this is 1/16 inch thick, very delicate stuff.

IMG_0803.jpg