2017 TX 300 for Moto and Trail riding

Hey guys,

Making a decision on a new bike and whether I will be purchasing something like the TX300 or to stick with my tried and true motocross only models. I've traditionally always owned and raced motocross bikes but at 31 years old I'm considering doing a bit more trail riding, yet I want to head out to the Motocross track every Sunday as per usual. 

Do you guys think I will be disappointing in the TX300 suspension for Moto? The track around here basically has mid-szed jumps, no whoops or any supercross style stuff, mainly all table tops and the occasional Triple. 

My other option is to go for either the 2017 KTM 450 SXF or 17 CRF450. 

Thoughts? 

And how has this bike been holding up for some of you?

Thinking of buying the same bike. I have a 16 Kx450 and it manages in both but nothing is funner than a two stroke. I've had many and just sold my YZ 250 with alot of goodies. Same age as you and wanting E start, etc.

Guys not sure I'll be much help I'm not a moto guy but I'll see what I can do.  I'm 52 Super Senior A level and got about 3 hours on my 17 TX300 coming off a 16 350XCF, still have it actually. I really like the TX300 it's so light weight and now with the same chassis the 16 4 strokes got the bike handles like it's on rails.  So far the AER forks have worked well, I'll even go a step further and say better than the full Ohlins forks on my 350.  Really impressed with the TX300.  I'm a hare scramble rider and the bike is a blast to trail ride with, only thing I plan on doing to the suspension for now is putting a heavier rate rear spring on for my weight.

Power wise I don't think either of you will be disappointed in the 300, I've not even tried the aggressive mode on the map switch yet which comes stock. I know there are some saying they have issue with the reeds and all but mine is ride able with stock jetting. Can it be better sure and I'll figure it out but at least it's ride able stock. I guess the biggest negative is the jetting that most complain about.

My buddy in another state has a TX300 with headlight and taillight and tag and he moto's it every weekend and then rides it out to pick up food.  He loves it has set his best lap times on it and he usually owns 3 to 5 current model year bikes to compare and test.  He is so happy with the TX300 he has no desire to buy anything else at the moment.  His 20 year old son does the 90 foot triple at the one track with ease and he loves the bike as well.  So it's very capable for MX and has e-start.  When my friends hits the trails he just lowers the air pressure in the forks a few pounds and hits the woods.

Again not sure if this helped but I would be shocked if you weren't happy with it.  It's the first bike I've owned in a while that makes me want to go ride every chance i get.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Hey guys,

Making a decision on a new bike and whether I will be purchasing something like the TX300 or to stick with my tried and true motocross only models. I've traditionally always owned and raced motocross bikes but at 31 years old I'm considering doing a bit more trail riding, yet I want to head out to the Motocross track every Sunday as per usual.

Do you guys think I will be disappointing in the TX300 suspension for Moto? The track around here basically has mid-szed jumps, no whoops or any supercross style stuff, mainly all table tops and the occasional Triple.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't buy anything but the TX300. I love mine. It does it all.

I wouldn't buy anything but the TX300. I love mine. It does it all.

I love my tx300 to. I have been only using it out on the trails and it has been awesome. First 2 stroke I've had were I can actually seeing selling my 4stroke.

Hey guys,

Thoughts? 

I usually own 2-strokes (300) and 4-strokes (typically 450F) at the same time.  I enjoy riding woods on the 300's and moto on the 450F.  The TX300 has impressed me both on the trails and on the MX track.  Far more versatile and capable than I expected.  The new chassis and engine combination along with little vibration are a unique combination of lightweight/agility/handling/power.  The engine is very linear and deceptively strong, especially without the drama of vibration.  The chassis is very lightweight yet feels very planted, especially for a 2-stroke.  The stock suspension has a broad operation range with changes in fork pressure and clickers.  For moto I run 4 psi higher fork pressure and clickers 2~3 stiffer than stock (this is close to "Sport" setting in the manual).  For woods I run the fork pressure closer to stock and clickers near stock or comfort.  I am a 50+ vet intermediate speed at 190 lbs.  My son is 20 years old and fast B rider.  He says the TX300 is a little soft for his speed on the moto track but rideable (he still liked my 16.5 KTM 450 Factory Edition better for moto).  I think you will be hard pressed to find a more versatile off road bike.  These new 250/300 KTM/Husky 2-strokes are special. Bum a test ride on one and see what you think.  Fun to see my son air out my TX300!

BBIMG_7687_zpsxqo5exii.jpg

• Like 1