Own a 2017 Beta?

4 hours ago, benwiggin2 said:

I put the 13 tooth front on my 17 500 and it is immediately better for me.

I've heard the stock gearing is actually very good which is unusual. Expect to have my 17 500 in 2 weeks Appreciate any feedback on type of riding you do and what you liked about the 13T over stock setup, pros and cons etc. Thanks! 

I only have 11 hrs on the bike, all dirt.  I ride So Cal desert.  I think the stock gearing on the 500 is good for almost 100mph.  Anyway on the trails and singletrack I could not find a happy balance with the stock gearing- too tall.  I am coming off my old 2008 husky 510 so I am still getting used to the bike, but the problem for me was that on the trails and ST that we ride, if I was in 2nd gear, I was at the top end of the range, winding out, too much work.  3rd gear was just way too tall, too much freewheel, and down way too far in that range, lugging. Since putting the 13 tooth on the front and riding around the neighborhood I can already tell (fingers crossed) that the ratio will be more useful on the trail.  Mine came with a 13 tooth in the box. Easy swap, no chain links had to be removed. 

8 minutes ago, MarantzManiac said:

I've heard the stock gearing is actually very good which is unusual. Expect to have my 17 500 in 2 weeks Appreciate any feedback on type of riding you do and what you liked about the 13T over stock setup, pros and cons etc. Thanks! 

I am going to take my stock gearing to some tighter trails this weekend on my 500. I was surprised by the range of the stock gears. From stop through 3rd seem very user friendly. I am NOT an expert but want to see how it pulls from a stop on inclines and in slow areas. I did notice on my buddies 14, that was geared down, it seemed smoother and more usable. I am not sure how much of that was the carb vs FI. That being said, 6th seems so tall that I don't think you would give up much to go down a little. I will try to give a opinion after the weekend.   

6 minutes ago, benwiggin2 said:

I only have 11 hrs on the bike, all dirt.  I ride So Cal desert.  I think the stock gearing on the 500 is good for almost 100mph.  Anyway on the trails and singletrack I could not find a happy balance with the stock gearing- too tall.  I am coming off my old 2008 husky 510 so I am still getting used to the bike, but the problem for me was that on the trails and ST that we ride, if I was in 2nd gear, I was at the top end of the range, winding out, too much work.  3rd gear was just way too tall, too much freewheel, and down way too far in that range, lugging. Since putting the 13 tooth on the front and riding around the neighborhood I can already tell (fingers crossed) that the ratio will be more useful on the trail.  Mine came with a 13 tooth in the box. Easy swap, no chain links had to be removed. 

Good info

1st ride yesterday after changing the stock crap front tire and installing 13 tooth cs sprocket and what a day.  The bike is now rideable in the desert for me.  3rd time out and the first time I had real confidence and rhythm all day. 

New issue though...there were intermittent times when I was being shocked electrically, through my gloves at the levers.  Stronger shock at the clutch lever.  Removed seat, headlight cover, side panels etc  and of course, no obvious signs are visible. Stock bike with the exception of plug and play replacement headlight.  Li Ion battery. 294 miles, 16 hrs on bike.

Anyone else experience this?

Guess I've never posted my 17 390 race in here. 

18199467_1516478151703813_51804306708143

On 4/30/2017 at 2:37 PM, benwiggin2 said:

1st ride yesterday after changing the stock crap front tire and installing 13 tooth cs sprocket and what a day.  The bike is now rideable in the desert for me.  3rd time out and the first time I had real confidence and rhythm all day. 

New issue though...there were intermittent times when I was being shocked electrically, through my gloves at the levers.  Stronger shock at the clutch lever.  Removed seat, headlight cover, side panels etc  and of course, no obvious signs are visible. Stock bike with the exception of plug and play replacement headlight.  Li Ion battery. 294 miles, 16 hrs on bike.

Anyone else experience this?

I did some short research on being zapped at the levers.  Some of the responses questioned if you were near power transmission lines, that static electricity could actually transfer down to the bike.  Well, when I experienced the zapping, I was directly underneath large towers.  I never would have believed this to be possible but my fingers are crossed that this is actually the issue. 

7 hours ago, benwiggin2 said:

I did some short research on being zapped at the levers.  Some of the responses questioned if you were near power transmission lines, that static electricity could actually transfer down to the bike.  Well, when I experienced the zapping, I was directly underneath large towers.  I never would have believed this to be possible but my fingers are crossed that this is actually the issue. 

Yes I learned that the hard way. Carbon Fiber bike frame with a small scratch in the top tube standing over the top tube waiting on some other riders at the top of a hill under some high power wires. Without being to graphic I think you know where it shocked me I thought a bee stung me right on the end my..... 

8 minutes ago, SoKal said:

Yes I learned that the hard way. Carbon Fiber bike frame with a small scratch in the top tube standing over the top tube waiting on some other riders at the top of a hill under some high power wires. Without being to graphic I think you know where it shocked me I thought a bee stung me right on the end my..... 

Amazing!  Glad to know I don't have to chase an electrical issue on a brand new bike!

1 hour ago, benwiggin2 said:

shocking discovery and truly en-lightening story... thankfully no kabooms nearby.... these betas are a blast.

Edited by MarantzManiac

yep, betas are better

On 4/21/2017 at 10:02 AM, SoKal said:

Yes I'm looking for small bag to get tools ect out of my Backpack. I think I ride to far back on the seat for that rack in the picture. Curious if anyone has the wolfman endure tank bag on there Beta to discuss the fit does it stay put or not 

I was able to "test fit" a Wolfman Enduro tank bag to my Beta on a recent ride. Another rider had one on his DR650 and was gracious enough to unbuckle it and let me drop it on my Beta to so I could see the general fit. I plan to pick one up for mine in the near future. I have Wolfman's Explorer Lite tank bag on my Husky 650 so I'm familiar with his strap mount system. I think it will mount up to the Beta fine.

Here's a shot of the Enduro tank bag on my bike. I wish I'd taken my backpack off the seat to make a clearer picture.

DSCF0041-1.jpg

Picked up my first Beta Friday- 2017 300rr and have only rode it for about 15 minutes.  Cant wait to get some good seat time to give my opinion.  My opinion so far is the handle bars seemed really low (fixed that already)  and its the most beautiful bike ever made.

Here's my new beauty. They really are nice looking bikes. Only 5 hrs. but mostly good so far. It was running rich, and the tires suck(Shinko's), but I put in the 'Zuke NECJ needle, went out to 2turns on air and put a Michelin S12 on front.

beta2.JPG

Hi all,

I'm new to TT.  I just picked up my new BYOB 2017 Beta 430RR-S a few days ago.  Have not ridden it yet, probably tomorrow.  I am impressed with it compared to the bikes I have had in the past..like 35 years ago.  Yes, been that long since I rode dirt bikes last.  My old days '77 YZ400 and '78 TT500 were so different and I am looking forward to enjoying this new bike.  I did a lot of comparisons/reading of the others and concluded the Beta was the best route, especially with the BYOB program.  I will update when I get some hours logged on it in the hard coal region of Pa. 

4 hours ago, pacoalcracker said:

Hi all,

I'm new to TT.  I just picked up my new BYOB 2017 Beta 430RR-S a few days ago.  Have not ridden it yet, probably tomorrow.  I am impressed with it compared to the bikes I have had in the past..like 35 years ago.  Yes, been that long since I rode dirt bikes last.  My old days '77 YZ400 and '78 TT500 were so different and I am looking forward to enjoying this new bike.  I did a lot of comparisons/reading of the others and concluded the Beta was the best route, especially with the BYOB program.  I will update when I get some hours logged on it in the hard coal region of Pa. 

Welcome!!! There's a few of us 70 's riders and racers here . From my first exposure to Beta I've met other vet riders from earlier days' with Betas  and yea after checking around these bikes make sense. Overall the vet riders have pretty much ridden everything..all different brands and still end up gravitating here. ..What interested me from the beginning was the level of owner satisfaction above all. All bikes are ok so why were so many vet riders and racers buying Beta? especially a few years ago when Beta was so tiny and unknown. You're going to love it. I feel lucky that some vet riders shared their experiences with the bike and were so knowledgeable ..especially in the early years before the large amount of Beta sites and exposure and aftermarket and options that are taken for granted now.. Congrats and have a nice ride!! I look forward to your ride  experiences. :ride:

Ok, I have about 10hrs on my 17 430RRS now.  Love the stock suspension, amazing for OC.  Everyone else that rides it says the same thing.  Power is also great - love the long gears and lineal traction everywhere - even with the stock DOT tires. I switched to 13-50 gearing and while that works great in the trails, it is much too low for the street for sure.  Not that I ride much on the pavement, but I will do more in the later summer when it gets hot.  Not sure if I'll go back to stock 15-48 or try something else.  Has anyone run 15-50 or 14-48 or 14-50?  Would like to find something that is a happy medium and not be switching sprockets all the time.  Also would like to stick with my 50T rear as I bought the nice bi-metal supersprox style one. Guess I'll just get 14T front and try both that and the 15T and see.

Coolant issues?  Anyone had weird coolant leaks yet?  It really weird. Can't seem to get it to leak even well warmed up when sitting on the stand.  I'll put the bike away and come back out the next day and there is often a little puddle of coolant on the floor?  I have noticed anything obvious really while riding the bike, the odd coolant odor once and awhile.  I checked all the fittings I could tighten without taking off the tank, but some are pressed on clamps.   Guess I can ask for new hoses under warranty if necessary.  I'll pull the tank soon and check everything out.  

Check all of your hose clamps.  That's been mentioned here.  I don't think you are alone. 

On 5/23/2017 at 4:01 PM, frdsrck said:

Ok, I have about 10hrs on my 17 430RRS now.  Love the stock suspension, amazing for OC.  Everyone else that rides it says the same thing.  Power is also great - love the long gears and lineal traction everywhere - even with the stock DOT tires. I switched to 13-50 gearing and while that works great in the trails, it is much too low for the street for sure.  Not that I ride much on the pavement, but I will do more in the later summer when it gets hot.  Not sure if I'll go back to stock 15-48 or try something else.  Has anyone run 15-50 or 14-48 or 14-50?  Would like to find something that is a happy medium and not be switching sprockets all the time.  Also would like to stick with my 50T rear as I bought the nice bi-metal supersprox style one. Guess I'll just get 14T front and try both that and the 15T and see.

Coolant issues?  Anyone had weird coolant leaks yet?  It really weird. Can't seem to get it to leak even well warmed up when sitting on the stand.  I'll put the bike away and come back out the next day and there is often a little puddle of coolant on the floor?  I have noticed anything obvious really while riding the bike, the odd coolant odor once and awhile.  I checked all the fittings I could tighten without taking off the tank, but some are pressed on clamps.   Guess I can ask for new hoses under warranty if necessary.  I'll pull the tank soon and check everything out.  

Found stock 15/48 much too high in 1st gear for the trails... switched to 14/48 and seems to be a much better compromise for dirt and road..... still hits ~70mph

Had my local dealer check for leak when replacing the tank as it smelled of antifreeze during warm up...  they said it was leaking around the thermostat and ordered a new housing which is on Beta back order... indicative of a known warranty issue.   

0530171232b_zpsxmuwvxca.jpg

Edited by MarantzManiac
On 5/23/2017 at 3:01 PM, frdsrck said:

I had the coolant issue on my 500. Never could find it and checked all the hose clamps. Ended up adding silicone hoses yesterday hope that solves it. I would rather eliminate the thermostat than have problems on a long trip. Love my 13t front sprocket. 

1 hour ago, newk75 said:

I had the coolant issue on my 500. Never could find it and checked all the hose clamps. Ended up adding silicone hoses yesterday hope that solves it. I would rather eliminate the thermostat than have problems on a long trip. Love my 13t front sprocket. 

20170530_202432.thumb.jpg.05cf7a1e1cd9c55889d7de3e45529d38.jpg

Sad, Red hoses run 10 degrees hotter than the Blue ones...... :foul:

Joking aside, I was surprised how close the hoses come to the oversized IMS tank, inmate contact.....