Keihin metering block from HP Bikes

I've been running this new billet metering block in my bike for a couple months now and just wanted to give a review.

The bike is a 06 YZ295 don't know what porting it has because I bought it with the big bore but being as its always been riding in the woods im assuming it has the woods porting. It had a pump gas head on it that had around .075 squish. I cut the head down to .055 if I remember correctly. And now run 50/50 race gas/pump.  Timing is at .005 which I think im going to try going to .009 and see hoe it runs. Also has a gnarly pipe, PC shorty silencer and V-force cage.  

The bike has always ran good after I jetted it correctly. I run 32-1 supertech and it never spooges or never fouled a plug.  But it has never been a very revy feeling engine.

After putting the billet metering block in and jets that Derek suggested the bike immediately had better throttle response on the stand and rev'd way faster. First ride the bike pulls off the bottom with more tq and really gets on the pipe quicker and with more authority. It has a ton more over as well as compared to before. I will be getting rid of the shorty silencer because I don't like it and getting a long one. I also have a DEP pipe to try just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I race it in harescrambles that you race an hour rest an hour then race another hour. I have a stock capacity tank and can finish the motos with fuel to spare so it didn't really affect fuel mileage that I can tell. I race 30+ B and normally finish 1st or 2nd so im on the gas pretty hard. They are dead engine starts and in the last 4 races I've gone into the woods in 2nd twice and 1st twice the bike starts very good as well and has no problem powering away from all the ktms. The bike runs awesome now. Definitely an huge improvement over stock. And I know Derek has dyno tested it proving the gains.

He's supposed to be sending me an improved version to try out as well.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Is Derek a distributor for these now? I hadn't even heard about these until yesterday somehow. I just ordered mine today directly from Keith (KP racing)..

I'm interested in hearing where you landed on jetting? I too will be running a 300 big bore. Mine is the Athena, but it should be close. However, I have the suzuki needle installed, so if you're still running the stock needle I'm sure our jetting will be very different.

I think Derek is selling them with his modified carbs as a package.

My jetting now is like 50 pilot 190 main. And its not the stock needle I don't remember what it is but I remember its not stock. The stic I have requires larger jets. I had like a 45 pilot 170 main in my bike before the stic and taper bore. But Derek has a new version of the STIC that's supposed to jet more close to stock.

To tell you the truth wallib I don't ride any hard endures but the bike makes more power everywhere. And its dyno proven throughout the entire rpm range.

I ride anywhere from sea level to probably no more than 1000 feet.

Slide is a 7 and it has a gnarly pipe and PC long silencer now. I have a DEP that I need to try.

• Like 1

I went to the site and couldn't find out anything pertaining to cost.?? The HP claims look a little bit snake oil to me.

Another proven alternative is to send the carb to Ron Black. 

I think there have been enough independent reviews on here to "prove" it's not snake oil. While RBDesigns might do great work, I've never read the reviews claiming improvements anywhere close to the metering block. I couldn't care less what their website looks like. They could use Daffy Duck for all I care.

• Like 2

I had RB mod my carb before I got the KPR block and it wasn't close to the power increase I got when I installed the block. He does fantastic work though.

Did you install this block on your RB modified carb? 

I just got mine back from RB, haven't ridden it yet but we hope to dyno test it against my Lectron which made 2 hp over my well tuned stock Keihin.

• Like 1

Did you install this block on your RB modified carb? 

I just got mine back from RB, haven't ridden it yet but we hope to dyno test it against my Lectron which made 2 hp over my well tuned stock Keihin.

Interesting - I haven't been able to make any additional hp on the lectron to date.

I like the lectron's ease of adjustment - and it's a really well crafted part, at a very reasonable price.