Why the RMZ?!

I was contemplating on why I chose the RMZ over all the other rides available. Sorry for the cheesy question, but am very curious as to why others chose the RMZ?

I will be honest, a fairly local dealer was blowing out the zooks in preparation for the 2015's. It was a deal I could not pass up. I actually planned on selling the bike for a profit or break even plan in a year of riding it. I got the nay Sayers telling me immediately that the zooks were no where near the quality/reliability as the others. I had been riding european and Yamaha bikes up to this point. My heart was set on getting a two stroke 300 due to the area I live in Idaho. There are some amazing trails here in south east Idaho. However, the zook has proven to be a good bike and proved the nay sayers wrong. I still long for a 300, and hold off riding as much with the hopes to keep the hours down on my bike for resale purposes. However, every time I ride I am impressed and it puts a smile on my face.

So, why did you select the RMZ over any other bike?

Because it turns on a dime and for me the mellow power is excellent. I haven't ever had a issue with the fit or finish. I rode hondas for years rode a yellow bike for 5 laps and sold all of my hondas the next week and bought a yellow bike

• Like 5

The bike is very user friendly. Cornering AND handling are effortless, which is where races are won. The power curve is not tiring like some of the other 450's and it is more than fast enough for any level of rider if you are willing to twist the throttle further.

I have never actually owned anything except Yamaha's but I have ridden them all. Never thought I would switch until I rode the RMZ. now I am in love with the bike!

The bike does everything well, and even though it does nothing "GREAT", it does nothing "bad" either. 

• Like 2

I can make anything fast, handling is what makes or breaks a bike imo. 

coming off a 2 stroke (yz250) its hard to accept riding anything that doesn't want to change directions like a house fly. 

Exactly why these two are my bikes of choice. RMZ is the perfect open class bike, Yz is the perfect 250. They work well together. I can take the same lines on either bikes. The only thing the RMZ does slightly better is get the power to the ground. The Yz is a rocket but it takes a a little finesse to get it hooking up. Lap times are similar but I have to be more conscientious of what I am doing with the clutch and throttle in places that I don't even think about touching the clutch on the 450. 

• Like 1

Exactly why these two are my bikes of choice. RMZ is the perfect open class bike, Yz is the perfect 250. They work well together. I can take the same lines on either bikes. The only thing the RMZ does slightly better is get the power to the ground. The Yz is a rocket but it takes a a little finesse to get it hooking up. Lap times are similar but I have to be more conscientious of what I am doing with the clutch and throttle in places that I don't even think about touching the clutch on the 450. 

best 2 bike combo out there!  my 06 yz250 is my forever bike i love it , my problem with it is traction on slippery dry days, and huge fast tracks with big jumps I've come up short a few times on some huge stuff, its not stock either but im 210 lbs  

679BA162-AF8C-4E1D-B812-0DF8655BCAF4_zps

A6A76DA5-C803-4756-A9E9-0B23FB808E4A_zps

picked up a running 2013 rmz450 that needs a bit of tlc for dirt cheap (well by canadian standards) and its getting the full monty this winter. i rode all the new 450s in the last month,   tried 11,12,13 15 rmz450,  best chassis out there by far 

• Like 1

For sure the turning!!!   For years I read in the magazines about how well RMZ's turned and thought yeah sure but once I rode one I was like holly crap they were not kidding and not exaggerating one bit! 

I have also been impressed with the reliability, fit and finish and the easy to ride yet still powerful motor.  I can't wait t see how the JGR team does on them this year in SX/MX!

• Like 1

Great handling, great power and can't beat the price.  I bought my 15 about a year ago as a leftover.  I love how well the bike corners!  The air fork is pretty confusing but other than that the bike is great!  I have heard the same thing over and over about how "sketchy" the bike is on rough straightaway's, but I honestly haven't had any issues I couldn't fix with the HS compression and clickers on the suspension.  As far as it being "slow", I have gotten great starts on mine using the launch control mode against all the other bikes represented in my class.  Just hope that the next gen comes with spring forks ?

Great handling, great power and can't beat the price.  I bought my 15 about a year ago as a leftover.  I love how well the bike corners!  The air fork is pretty confusing but other than that the bike is great!  I have heard the same thing over and over about how "sketchy" the bike is on rough straightaway's, but I honestly haven't had any issues I couldn't fix with the HS compression and clickers on the suspension.  As far as it being "slow", I have gotten great starts on mine using the launch control mode against all the other bikes represented in my class.  Just hope that the next gen comes with spring forks ?

I have never had any issues with HS stability either... but I snugged up the steering stem nut slightly before I even rode the bike. Having said that, I have never ridden an RMZ that responded poorly in the fast stuff and our tracks get ROUGH!!! As far as the slow comment, I agree 100%... unless you have top 10-20 pro national speed it is more than fast enough. The only reason people say it's slow is because it doesn't try to rip your arms off of your body, but it delivers a nice smooth (yet strong) power curve all the way through the RPM range. I don't have launch control but I have grabbed plenty of hole shots on the RMZ. 

Still riding my 12' because I refuse to get rid of the spring forks. If the bike is not updated next year I am fairly certain I will be picking up a Yz450 as the primary race bike. Wouldn't get rid of the RMZ but its getting close to time to upgrade to something "tighter". 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

2002 rm144, 2005 rm250, 2009 rmz450 and I still have a 2004 rm144 and 2015 rmz450.

Over the years, I've picked up lots of parts and all the hop ups from the 09 fit the new 450, so it saved lots of cash.

I am totally bored with Suzuki and their inability to make a new, lighter bike so I am done with them

Any input as to how reliable, durable and the build quality of these bikes. So far I've been told from a friend that after a year they fall apart like the kawis. I also had another friend who raced 250 B class on an 13 RMZ 250 and loved it. So im hearing a lot of mixed reviews. I've read a couple posts about hardware stripping out due to the soft aluminum suzuki uses. I've also been told that these bikes are always hard to find parts for with age because these bikes just aren't as popular as Honda and Yami. Recently found some killer deals on some RMZ's and im coming off a CRF250r and loved that thing. I would like to hear any opinions about this brand good or bad.

My 12' has been flawless. Absolutely zero issues with build quality. Never had a failure of any sort, and it has never once let me down or stranded. Even with the built motor. Fit and finish is pretty darn good. Proper maintenance will keep it going strong just like it will with any bike. 4 pistons and a few clutches later and she runs good as new. The only weak spot is the clutch IMO. I tried 2 stock clutches and fried them both in a few hours each. Upgraded to the Hinson/ Magura hydrolic set up and have been getting plenty of life out of the clutch since. 

I have 200+ hours on my 12'. combination of MX race and practice at race pace. 

• Like 1