KLX300 Busted case options, swap with 250?

Hello all.  Its been a while since I was on TT, sold the bikes when the kids came along.  Now that they are older, I am getting back into it and teaching them as well.

I bought an 04 klx300 that was super clean with the exception of the idler gear wedging and breaking the case (but hey it was only $700).  the 300 cases seem to be in shorter supply on the ebay, and new ones are outrageously priced.  I scoured the back pages and found one thread that discussed the interchangeability between the 250 and 300 case. Sorry if I missed a better one, I spent a couple hours looking so as not to get the immediate "use the search feature" reply.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/892411-klx300-rebuild/?hl=case#entry9286955

I was hoping some folks could chime in on this that may have some experience.  By what I can find on this forum, a 94-95-96 klx250 case should accept the 300 cylinder.  Should the innards swap over too? 

Later models won't clear the cylinder bore but it seems that the guts do fit.  Simple machining should solve this then right?

I would assume that the 2006 and later models would be a no go since they were electric start.  Would it be close enough if I just blocked off the starter hole?

Or should I just wait for ebay to alert me that a 300 case is up?

Thanks in advance!

I believe late models will swap with no issues. You can add a kick starter to a 06 to 2014. Run the electric start or fab a plug. A 06 to 2014 will accept upto a 351cc top end. Hope this helps.

Awesome, Thanks!  So I guess I have to decide between case half's or a complete bottom end.   Hopefully the guts of the 300 will fit the 250 case.  I suppose I could spend some "quality time" with the parts-fiche. 

Gear ratio changed in 09 (lower) along with the shift star, but that's about it. Kawi just took the 300R and put a 250 cylinder on it. They both even have the same balance shaft.

I appreciate the help.  This opens up alot of options for a case.  If I end up buying a 250 case I'll post up the results.

• 1 month later...

I've got a set of cases off a 300 cheap...I'd sell you the cases stripped on both sides with crank and trans for $300.....Pretty sure the cases and tranny are good. Don't know about the crank. Crank turns, it shifts.

Thanks for the offer but I ended up grabbing a right side case off a 2006 klx250 ($150 shipped).  Split the case and boom!  She fits!  Now I just need to get the idler gear and a gasket kit and I'll be ready to ride come springtime.  

While I'm at it, it seems like the kickstart idler wobble has no real fix, but some folks said they put additional shims in to limit how far the wobble can go.  Anyone had any bad experience with this?  I plan to order some extra shims when get the new gear to tighten it up a bit for peace of mind after the build.