Trixy

So I purchased my '07 WR250 a year ago now..I would consider myself a careful buyer, but the evidence is stacking up against me quite quickly..

The bike looked to be in very good condition, started instantly and ran quite well (less a slight off idle bog)

just about 3 play rides later it was obvious that it needed a clutch and some drastic work on the front binders.

a little more riding and the minor bog became a massive PITA. later the swing arm bearing started making very bad noises. Now the forks are pissing fluids all over the garage..!

my laundry list to date:

clutch.

master cylinder rebuild kit

hours upon hours of strategic bleeding. (brakes are still crap)

new sprockets and chain (to be expected)

carb removal (not easy) and cleaning/tuning (still needs refined just hate to pull it again)

front caliper guide pin (corroded beyond belief)

all new swing arm and rocker bearings.

I hope I can get all of this rectified and get a few races under my belt before a top end is required, or I just might go postal..!

Im going to name this bike "Trixy" because I like riding her but she is costing me out the arse !

Edited by daled

Buying used is ALWAYS a gamble, but honestly, everything on you list is routine maintenance and to be expected...and the fact that it's a 10 year old bike, I'd say you've gotten off pretty easy  ;)

Bikes take work, so don't let it get to you.  Just ride it, enjoy it, and stay on top of the maintenance.

PS...yamaha front brakes suck, but a vacuum bleeder does makes the job easier.  I got so tired of the front brake on my '15 yz250f that I ended up swapping out the caliper and MC for Honda stuff.

but honestly, everything on you list is routine maintenance and to be expected

PS...yamaha front brakes suck, but a vacuum bleeder does makes the job easier.  I got so tired of the front brake on my '15 yz250f that I ended up swapping out the caliper and MC for Honda stuff.

I with you on the routine maintenance point, and yes its ten years old. but I have another bike that's 14 years old and it seems to need much less attention.

As I stated I think that im a carefull buyer, the WR looked good and acted well, I seems it was just nearing the service interval on dang near every part, however I have never seen a front caliper guide pin so TKO

I used a vacuum bleeder over and over, but the front brakes just suck !

all in all, I like the bike, smooth in the rough, quick enough for my lardaz, and "ok" in tight stuff (could be better here)...

I will beat the bike back into shape, I just didn't expect the need for the such a big hammer !

PS > what Honda bits did you spec on the front end change ? what made the most improvement  - caliper or master ?

Edited by daled

All normal stuff for a 10 year old Yamaha.  What is your other bike that is so maintenance free?

I with you on the routine maintenance point, and yes its ten years old. but I have another bike that's 14 years old and it seems to need much less attention.

As I stated I think that im a carefull buyer, the WR looked good and acted well, I seems it was just nearing the service interval on dang near every part, however I have never seen a front caliper guide pin so TKO

I used a vacuum bleeder over and over, but the front brakes just suck !

all in all, I like the bike, smooth in the rough, quick enough for my lardaz, and "ok" in tight stuff (could be better here)...

I will beat the bike back into shape, I just didn't expect the need for the such a big hammer !

PS > what Honda bits did you spec on the front end change ? what made the most improvement  - caliper or master ?

I'd recommend rebuilding (or replacing) the caliper...it is 10 years old after all, and my guess if that they've never been serviced.  

I went with 2011 crf250r caliper and MC (because that's what RMATV had in stock), but from what I read, any year will work on the yz forks.  You just need to transfer over the carrier bracket to the new caliper.  

They both made a noticeable improvement...the caliper provided better stopping power, and A LOT less fade.  And the MC eliminated the spongey feel at the lever that I really hated.

All normal stuff for a 10 year old Yamaha.  What is your other bike that is so maintenance free?

Its an 03 Honda 230F....yea, yea spare me the "that's not a real bike" crap....

It has WAY MORE torque than the WR and with modified front and rear suspension, (IMO) its more capable in the tight single track,

it is no where as quick as the WR so any gains I make in the tight crap I loose in the open...quickly...

I got it used in '09 and I have been racing it every year since. (except this year)

to date I have not performed a top end, adjusted a single valve, installed a clutch, or rebuilt the entire front braking system.

To be fair, I am actually impressed with the Wr, as apparently it has had no love at all for ten years, still looked and ran well enough to fool me on its mechanical condition...and then spontaneously all system imploded at the same instance.....THATS AN ENGINEERING MARVAL !

Its an 03 Honda 230F....yea, yea spare me the "that's not a real bike" crap....

It has WAY MORE torque than the WR and with modified front and rear suspension, (IMO) its more capable in the tight single track,

it is no where as quick as the WR so any gains I make in the tight crap I loose in the open...quickly...

I got it used in '09 and I have been racing it every year since. (except this year)

to date I have not performed a top end, adjusted a single valve, installed a clutch, or rebuilt the entire front braking system.

To be fair, I am actually impressed with the Wr, as apparently it has had no love at all for ten years, still looked and ran well enough to fool me on its mechanical condition...and then spontaneously all system imploded at the same instance.....THATS AN ENGINEERING MARVAL !

You can't compare the maintenance of an air cooled four stroke to a high performance water cooled four stroke.  That 230 will run forever with hardly any maintenance.  If you aren't prepared for about quadruple the maintenance on that Yamaha compared to the Honda then you might want to consider selling.  That's not a knock on Yamaha as it applies to any high performance 250F.

You can't compare the maintenance of an air cooled four stroke to a high performance water cooled four stroke.  That 230 will run forever with hardly any maintenance.  If you aren't prepared for about quadruple the maintenance on that Yamaha compared to the Honda then you might want to consider selling.  That's not a knock on Yamaha as it applies to any high performance 250F.

I know that the WR is a much more technical machine than the CRF, and I expect that service will be higher, im ok with that, the all at once factor is the thing that chaps me currently, and yes ill get past that one as well.

here is the interesting thing, you state that the I can't compare the "high performance 250" to my air cooler...But I think I can.

If my name was Villopoto, or Folkner then im sure your argument would hold water, but im not.. and to date I have documented proof that my 230 puts down faster lap times than my 250 can produce, so what machine is actually the higher performer ?

Fat old man classes dale dec.......

http://www.moto-tally.com/HBGP/mc/Results.aspx/2016/1/C28/LT Yami

http://www.moto-tally.com/HBGP/mc/Results.aspx/2015/1/C11/LT Honda

again, I like the Yami, and this is my first year on the bike, so I expect things will improve, but performance is relative, and so far its LESS than the 230 in both aspects...

I know that the WR is a much more technical machine than the CRF, and I expect that service will be higher, im ok with that, the all at once factor is the thing that chaps me currently, and yes ill get past that one as well.

here is the interesting thing, you state that the I can't compare the "high performance 250" to my air cooler...But I think I can.

If my name was Villopoto, or Folkner then im sure your argument would hold water, but im not.. and to date I have documented proof that my 230 puts down faster lap times than my 250 can produce, so what machine is actually the higher performer ?

again, I like the Yami, and this is my first year on the bike, so I expect things will improve, but performance is relative, and so far its LESS than the 230 in both aspects...

If you're faster on the bike that is less expensive to maintain and more reliable why would you even own or ride the other one?  Makes no sense to me.  And yes, of course one bike will be better on some terrain.  If you always ride the terrain that suits a certain bike then that bike is best for you, isn't it?  It's as if you are arguing for arguments sake or I'm not following you.  Anyway, have fun riding.  That's what it's all about.

If you're faster on the bike that is less expensive to maintain and more reliable why would you even own or ride the other one?  Makes no sense to me.  And yes, of course one bike will be better on some terrain.  If you always ride the terrain that suits a certain bike then that bike is best for you, isn't it?  It's as if you are arguing for arguments sake or I'm not following you.  Anyway, have fun riding.  That's what it's all about.

well I don't mean to be just augmentative, but I purchase the WR for the more open venues in my local scramble series. and I think it will be just fine once I correct the apparent 10 years of maintenance free service...

This is my first "high performace" 4 stroke ever... im an old 2t guy at heart but I just don't like the premix bother these days....

I plan on keeping the 230 for the goat puke courses, as its a proven horse (for me)...

thanks freeman535 on the front brake, brake-down, once I get the forks sorted, I'll e-bay in some new bits...probably start with the MC as the "sponge" is my main issue...

You think your old trusty bike is a higher performer bike then your wr because the wr has major suspension issues(plus a front fork that is known to require some tuning), carburettor issues and you have 0 seat time.

Seized swingarm bearings make a huge difference to bike handleing. I wouldnt be passing judgement untill all is rectified.

You can't compare laps times from a year race to next year race, i'm sure you got better proof than that...

And sorry, i can't understand a 230 can be faster than a Wr, something wrong with the Wr or your riding with this bike.

Do you got the good springs and sag numbers for your weight ?

What about suspension oil , are they ten years old or fresh fluid ?

Take time/money to spoil your Wr and i'm sure you'll enjoy it even more!

You can't compare laps times from a year race to next year race, i'm sure you got better proof than that...

And sorry, i can't understand a 230 can be faster than a Wr, something wrong with the Wr or your riding with this bike.

Do you got the good springs and sag numbers for your weight ?

What about suspension oil , are they ten years old or fresh fluid ?

Take time/money to spoil your Wr and i'm sure you'll enjoy it even more!

As i said the wr is much faster....but the 230 puts up a better lap time !

Yes its my first year on the wr and yes my riding skills are just on par with any other 55 year old mat man..

Im not dissing the yamaha...just shocked that i didnt see the level of maint. Comming my way...some of that is ok....5 valve high stress engine and all....but some i think is not....poor brakes...

You bought a turd plain and simple. You are talking about repair work not maintenance. Any neglected 10 year old dirt bike will need repairs, including CRF230's.

Edited by Vintage Not Pimpage