2003 Suzuki Katana 750 Not starting?

I recently purchased a 2003 katana 750 that sat for over 3 years.

First thing i did was remove the tank and replaced the gas, aswell as clean the carbs. I made sure all passages on carbs were cleaned.

Before putting it all back together I checked for spark and the compression, both were good. Compression surpassed 160 psi with the first two turns on every cyclinder. I put it all back together and it chuckled and felt like it wanted to start, but then i noticed a massive gas leak comming from one of the carbs. I took it all apart and replaced the cracked floater. I put all together and still no start not even a chuckle... By all means im stunned. Any ideas?  :ride:

Fuel, spark, compression, at the right times. Which one isn't it getting? Since you've determined that it's got spark and compression, that leaves fuel and possibly timing. Pull the plugs and see if they are wet or dry. Dry and you're likely not getting fuel (float height adjustment correct?). Wet and you're either flooding, or your spark timing is way off (check for a sheared woodruff key in the flywheel. And when you checked the spark, was it a strong white crack, of just a yellowish spark? Sometimes a weak spark will still arc outside the motor, but not have enough in it to light the mixture under compression.

Just a few guesses there, hopefully the problem makes itself known sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

I removed the plugs, and two where clearly drowned in gas, the rest were dry. So I replaced the two and managed to get the bike running. Downpart is that the only way it will start is with the choke all the way on, and will turn off as soon as I pull the throttle. It also leaks a small amount of gas out the choke puller on side of the carbs. Im guessing carbs need adjusting? I did take the carbs apart completely, so im sure I probably messed up along the way? What should I look for?

The only way it will start being with the choke on sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. And is the carb that's leaking gas around the choke rod also one that corresponds with one of the cylinders with the wet plug? If so, the float height may still be a bit off, or the float needle is leaking. I also still wonder about the strength of the spark on those two wet cylinders.  

Update: I managed to grt the bike to start and idle without the choke by adjusting the throttle butterflies, but now the bike shuts off as soon as I give it gas. Also the leaking out the choke suddenly stoped. I rechecked the spark color and it was white but not sure how strong it is. Thanks for any help.