My dirtbike accident that just changed my life!

9 hours ago, ryan_cin said:

Wow. I really need to start wearing my mx boots more. The only thing that stops me is how hard it is to shift with them ob

Now just imagine how hard it would be to shift if your foot looked like his.   A pic of his foot might be a good reminder to wear your MX boots.

• Like 5

Now just imagine how hard it would be to shift if your foot looked like his.   A pic of his foot might be a good reminder to wear your MX boots.

I was about to say somthing along them lines when I seen Ryan's message..and it's my foot [emoji85] ..Yea think how fun it was to shift again with my foot like that..inside a bran new sidi boot..I had to learn all over again but within an hour I had it down. I use the side of the heal now to upshift on the dirtbike[emoji106] I didn't realize till this that the big toe is what we shift with, i have a special shoe insert for my left shoe now, it takes the place of my lack of a big toe, if it wasnt for that it would be very difficult to shift at least on the street bike. Yea maybe hang a pic of my foot next to your riding gear Ryan[emoji88], I still have the work boot full of blood I was wearing that day, I could mail it to you to mount on the wall..haha jk [emoji14] .. probaly should wear your boots thou..just saying..might be a little harder to shift or brake with no foot[emoji2] I cherish every step and shift now in life. Don't take it for granite.
  • Like 4

Thanks for all the positive words and good vibes guys! It's appreciated. Talking about my injury helps me a bit..along with some jokes is always good. and hopefully my story helps some others in some sort of way.
I really don't know why I decided to put my story online in the first place now, I've never been a safety gear preacher..but hey it's already on here so I'll keep talking about it.

"That saying that you never think it's gonna happen to you" is so true thou..I still can't believe I did this to my self or that it happened to me.
Life throws tree stumps in your path sometimes, try to be as prepared as you can for them and things seem to happen when you least expect it. Like when I said in my head that day before the ride " I'm only going on a little ride" as I grabbed my helmet from next to my riding boots and left in some low top walmart work boots...smh

• Like 3

My two cents,

The last time I rode a bike with work boots on (long time ago) I had not noticed my boot string had come untied, and wrapped around the foot peg...i went to put my foot down to turn into my shop, the string swung my foot in under the bike, I ran over my own foot, ripping me off the bike (an innocent little old RM125). I walked with a cane for the next two months.

I have had broken toes before even wearing proper MX boots...don't ride without proper gear...even if you're on the driveway.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Oldmossyspokes said:

The last time I rode a bike with work boots on (long time ago) I had not noticed my boot string had come untied, and wrapped around the foot peg...i went to put my foot down to turn into my shop, the string swung my foot in under the bike, I ran over my own foot, ripping me off the bike

Should have worn slip on Wellingtons bro. :bonk::smirk:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Colorado dirt bike kidz said:

Hey, and thanks to the moderator that fixed my post headline! That misspelled word was killing me all year...right in my headline too..smh. Apparently the moderators read everything or atleast noticed my post. I was about to email you about that. Your awsome, good eye! emoji106.png

Guess I have been reading/writing to many internet forums, texts etc that have typos or abbreviations and such as long as I get the jist of it I dont think much about it.

Dont remember seeing a misspelled word in the header.

Guess I have been reading/writing to many internet forums, texts etc that have typos or abbreviations and such as long as I get the jist of it I dont think much about it.
Dont remember seeing a misspelled word in the header.

Yea I hate to admit it but I misspelled "accident" I put "accedent" lol caught a little crap from one @#$ hole that made a big deal about it and was analyzing my whole first paragraph..no biggie but I was glad to see the moderator fixed it now..this whole right up is on Google when I searched dirt bike accidents and missing toes. So I'd rather the whole world see my header spelled right haha.
  • Like 3

Yea I hate to admit it but I misspelled "accident" I put "accedent" lol caught a little crap from one @#$ hole that made a big deal about it and was analyzing my whole first paragraph..no biggie but I was glad to see the moderator fixed it now..this whole right up is on Google when I searched dirt bike accidents and missing toes. So I'd rather the whole world see my header spelled right haha.
That's a good reason for wanting it corrected. I never noticed or if I did it didn't bother me.

YE  KNOW NOT THE TIME NOR THE HOUR .!!!!. IT CAN HAPPEN WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT // .... I DROPPED MY  BIKE ON MY FOOT , AND GOT A BLOOD CLOT THAT  WENT TO MY BRAIN AND CAUSED A MINI STROKE....... A WEEK LATER ...... IF I HAD TAKEN  ASPRIN FOR A FEW WEEKS AFTER THE FALL ....I WOULDNT HAVE HAD IT...,  LESSON IF YOU GET A BAD  BRUISE TAKE ASPRIN FOR AT LEAST A FEW WEEKS AFTER..!!!!!!!!!

Your story reminded me of how a small little bump can have big consequences. I broke my ankle last year, in a flat track race. Was hard on the gas out of the corner, inside foot still out, when my foot hit a bump. You can imagine how big of a bump it was on a freshly groomed 1/4 mile dirt track, not very. But the sticky clay really grabbed it, then my footpeg hit the back of my leg and pow. Kind of like you, I didn't realize what had happened, I even finished another lap. 

Thanks for sharing. I hope your story and (nasty) pictures will remind someone out there to wear their gear.

• Like 3

I'm a foot doc. That is some serious sh%%. 

Don't be so hard on yourself though. It's conceivable that if you had riding boots on the impact force may have been diverted to somewhere else. Shattered ankle, tibia, knee ligaments ... who knows? You can't know.

Some friendly advice re; your recovery ... Your gait will never be the same and over time can cause knee, hip and back problems. See a Podiatrist that has a solid background in orthopedics or sports medicine who can put you into a custom orthotic that will slow what I am very sorry to say is near inevitable sequela from this injury. Much of your recovery and athletic future will depend on your attitude and determination.

Best wishes and hang tough.

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1

I really hope you make a complete and healthy recovery. Foot injuries are tough because feet heal so slowly.  I was on crutches for month after attempting to start a 400 Husky with street shoes. My SIL has pins and screws in a foot from blowing thru a berm, still with pain a decade later.

I strongly suggest wearing the best boots you can buy, and plastic provides the best foot protection and are the only boot that I will wear for trail riding..

As some have mentioned, the point to be emphasized even more than "what boots" is the need to keep your toes up by riding on the balls of your feet. Good boots will definitely help but not getting ones foot caught under the peg will help even more. Glad you're pretty much healed up. 

• Like 1