The Last Frontier - We're Nearing Total World Domination....

Damn, soon you guys at the motocross tracks are going to have the same view us off roader's have had for years, a SEA of ORANGE. And Wes, before you get your panties in a wad and type me out a novel to read let us know what the percentage of KTM's was in the OTHG 10 or so years ago vs. now....

http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-page/rumors-gossip-unfounded-truths-orange-dawn-is-upon-us

SHOCKING NUMBERS FROM THE MINI O’S

Most industry insiders have known how well KTM is doing in the Vet and older motocross rider market. Over the last decade they have gone from a tiny blip on the bike sales radar screen to a major player. For example, in the weekly REM motocross brand breakdown, KTM has grown from 3% of the riders to 35% in a few years. Given that REM is heavily weighted towards Vets and older riders, the naysayers claim that KTM just is a Vet bike for riders with deep pockets. But…

At the 2016 Mini O’s in Florida, where riders over the age of 30 only make up 5% of the total turnout, the brand breakdown was shocking. In the Mini O’s motocross classes there were only 109 Hondas entered in the event, Husqvarna accounted for 124 riders on the sign-up sheets, Suzuki had 137 riders, Kawasaki had 358 entrants and Yamaha had a healthy 588 riders. But wait, there’s more! KTM had 802 riders. You read that right. Of the 2118 bikes from the Big Six at a major amateur race, KTM’s accounted for 40% of all the bikes there. They dominated in the 65cc, 85cc and Supermini classes, but ran a healthy second in most of the other 43 classes at Gatorback.

• Like 5

Two simple answers for you Squidward. Vets like the button, that's all. There are many of them that struggle to deal with a kick starter and others that just don't want to, that's all. It's not because the bike is superior to the others, it's not. In the minis they do have a competitive advantage because most of the other bikes from the big 4 haven't really made any changes. Kawi did, and other than that only Honda has done anything different, and that was years ago. But in the 50's and 65's Cobra is more than capable of embarrassing the orange horde. Plus at that level they offer great support.

I told you before that our gates are full of orange and not one of them has beat my fat ass to the first turn this year. The Yamaha is just that good at putting power to the ground. Even the fastest guy in our class, on a Husky, constantly comments on how damn fast that Yamaha is.

It's really kind of sad to see how desperate you've become to try to make your brand out to be dominant. It's bordering on mental illness. I guess losing to that quad pushed you over the edge into a form of lunacy.

Edited by wes513v
  • Like 10

Two simple answers for you Squidward. Vets like the button, that's all. There are many of them that struggle to deal with a kick starter and others that just don't want to, that's all. It's not because the bike is superior to the others, it's not. In the minis they do have a competitive advantage because most of the other bikes from the big 4 haven't really made any changes. Kawi did, and other than that only Honda has done anything different, and that was years ago. But in the 50's and 65's Cobra is more than capable of embarrassing the orange horde. Plus at that level they offer great support.

I told you before that our gates are full of orange and not one of them has beat my fat ass to the first turn this year. The Yamaha is just that good at putting power to the ground. Even the fastest guy in our class, on a Husky, constantly comments on how damn fast that Yamaha is.

It's really kind of sad to see how desperate you've become to try to make your brand out to be dominant. It's bordering on mental illness. I guess losing to that quad pushed you over the edge into a form of lunacy.

Thanks for chapter 1 Wes, think I'll save these for a book...
  • Like 6

Well it won't be long till everybody is losing to quads and that's what bums me out. Dirtbike brand wars these days is like having a gunfight over turf in Detroit IMHO. :banghead:

• Like 6

Wes is odd do you not define dominance as having more ktms ( husky is ktm) on the entry than all the others put together ? That is dominated in any sence of the word , then you say it's only vets and minis , guess what that only leaves the middle bracket and I can tell you this the sxf is the lightest and fastest , you think they are traits the middle bracket don't like ?? It's happening Wes, your reality seems to struggle with basic facts .....Yamaha has a good following but most people agree they do have turning issues, the ktms turn effortlessly, no special setting up like the yzf, just set the sag and carve , oh and the new crf that meant to wow everyone ? It's using 2008 crf chassis numbers , a decent bike from the tests , steers decent , turns decent, good stability, power decent , weight......not decent , weight with starter terrible, it's no ktm beater for sure , and it won't sell much as they don't even have them for team riders for sx , if electric doesn't win first ktm will be market leader by 2019

So if one day every single dirt bike is orange that is a good thing? Why so excited about that prospect? I don't think it's healthy in the sport if we end up with no choice in mfg for our bikes.

I had a KTM for a year, after falling victim to the hype since I'm surrounded by them. Now I'm back to Yamaha and it's nice to be different than "everybody" else.

• Like 14

You can bash KTM all you want to but here's a reality check for you Jap brand loyalist. Before KTM became a major player in the game, the big four motorcycle companies had become lazy in updating their bikes. They dwindled down their line to pretty much a selection to almost no options in what you had a choice of buying and they tried like hell to totally kill the 2 stroke motorcycle which luckily didn't happen.

.........and then in steps the little Austrian company that was ready to move up to compete with the big boys and changed the whole game within the last few years. You have to look no further at what Yamaha and Honda are doing now to try and compete with the orange brand to notice this. Hate em or love em' you have to give KTM big props for jerking a knot in the big fours attitude of "you'll buy what we give you" mentality and actually cater more to what the consumer wants.

• Like 24

You can bash KTM all you want to but here's a reality check for you Jap brand loyalist. Before KTM became a major player in the game, the big four motorcycle companies had become lazy in updating their bikes. They dwindled down their line to pretty much a selection to almost no options in what you had a choice of buying and they tried like hell to totally kill the 2 stroke motorcycle which luckily didn't happen.

.........and then in steps the little Austrian company that was ready to move up to compete with the big boys and changed the whole game within the last few years. You have to look no further at what Yamaha and Honda are doing now to try and compete with the orange brand to notice this. Hate em or love em' you have to give KTM big props for jerking a knot in the big fours attitude of "you'll buy what we give you" mentality and actually cater more to what the consumer wants.

Right on the money. KTM probably as more " dirt bike models" then the other 4 combined. Sad how many don't understand how free markets work, you vote with your feet thats why KTM is growing . In my shop right now, between my four bikes and my kids 3, yz Yamaha 450,kawasaki 450, Suzuki rn250, husaberg 390,KTM 300,gas trials and Montesa trails, guess which one is my favorite?? Many we need the government to pass a new regulation to make things "fair"... good grief. Edited by partsguy57
  • Like 1

Yeah the button was the big selling point with me for both KTMs.  Had Yamaha made a 350F or 300T with e-start I would have it.  

Notice Squid neglects to mention that Yamaha was by a huge margin the top Japanese brand and not far behind KTM.

• Like 5

None of that answers the question of why celebrate a monopoly. Seems better for all and more to celebrate if the other mfgs were to start focusing more on the off-road market again. It would be a sad day if the only place you could buy an off-road motorcycle was the KTM (or Yamaha, or Honda, or ....) dealer. Nothing against KTM at all but it's generally accepted principle that monopolies are not great things...but keep on cheering.

Edited by TN Dirt Rider
  • Like 2

Wes is odd do you not define dominance as having more ktms ( husky is ktm) on the entry than all the others put together ? That is dominated in any sence of the word , then you say it's only vets and minis , guess what that only leaves the middle bracket and I can tell you this the sxf is the lightest and fastest , you think they are traits the middle bracket don't like ?? It's happening Wes, your reality seems to struggle with basic facts .....Yamaha has a good following but most people agree they do have turning issues, the ktms turn effortlessly, no special setting up like the yzf, just set the sag and carve , oh and the new crf that meant to wow everyone ? It's using 2008 crf chassis numbers , a decent bike from the tests , steers decent , turns decent, good stability, power decent , weight......not decent , weight with starter terrible, it's no ktm beater for sure , and it won't sell much as they don't even have them for team riders for sx , if electric doesn't win first ktm will be market leader by 2019

When I was shopping for a new bike it came down to the KTM/ Husky and the Yamaha. I rode both and the Yamaha was the clearly better bike. As you said, I voted with my wallet. The KTM was nice, but couldn't hold a candle to the Yamaha for power and tunability, or suspension, or the price. The KTM is a good bike, the button didn't matter to me, but it's hardly as magical as many claim. He'll look at Squidly. The new KTM'S are so amazing he rides one made when Bush was president. Now that is voting with your wallet.

And I didn't say it was only vets and minis, those are the two groups Squid targeted to crow about. Funny he neglected to point out in the 250 class Yamaha is outselling the KTM. Why? Because it's a better bike, it is cheaper, and the button doesn't matter to the younger riders who populate that class. Since KTM "dominates" the minis, why would those same riders move to Yamaha at the next level? Hmmmm...

Edited by wes513v
  • Like 3

Now that KTM seems to finally have the front suspension figured out, the japs will have no chance.

KTM's 450 weighs the same as the lightest jap 250f. Plus it has electric start!

I mean, why would I buy anything else?

Yeah, reliability and longevity are overrated. The button far outweighs that as a selling point.
  • Like 5