2017 250sxf - Low End Torque/Power

Hi all.

I keep reading the current reviews on this 2017 bike and all them state how the low end torque/power is not as powerful than the YZ250f.

What are your thoughts on this?

Is the difference noticeable?

If so, what can be done to the sxf to match the low end grunt of the yz250f without compromising any of the mid-top grunt?

Byte

Edited by Byte

Agreed and the ktm does need the more aggressive cam for the throttle to help it open the butterfly more for a given turn of the wrist

Dynos show the ktm to have the strongest bottom apart from the crf that has no top

Demo one if you can. I was pleasantly surprised how good the 250 SXF is engine wise. I ride a '16 450 SXF and was impressed how much bottom the 250 had. One fan of the clutch if a gear too high and picks right up. Maybe add a tooth to rear sprocket. Handling was excellent. Makes me wonder why I ride 450's.

• 2 weeks later...

I always like to drop a tooth up front first. Front sprockets are cheap. If its too much then add 1 or 2 to the rear. Then you have a range of options. I am -1/+3 on my 450;)

G2 is one of the big aftermarket suppliers of cam throttle. Recently I tried a set of emig lock on grips and it cam with 3 cams. The cams are matched to other bikes but it gives you 3 optuons for life $20 for new grips. Motion pro also has a set but you need their throttle tube and cables. The replacement cable price is nuts. Not sure about for the 17 but for others it was like $80.

Mine and a few other friends never came with one in the pack. on a plus note my bike is 13 months old and has a split fuel pump which has been causing the loss of power and KTM UK / redline are replacing it under warranty. 

Will the cams from my 2016 SXF 450 throttle fit?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2015.5 KTM 250 SX-F FE and my son has a 2016 Yamaha YZ 250 F. The yzf has major torque advantage right off the bottom it just rips as soon as you crack the throttle! It has instant throttle response. My KTM is a completely different animal not much bottom at all but from mid up it flat rips all the way to the rev limiter 14,000 rpm and thats where you have to stay to make power, but when your there hang on.

I have a 2015.5 KTM 250 SX-F FE and my son has a 2016 Yamaha YZ 250 F. The yzf has major torque advantage right off the bottom it just rips as soon as you crack the throttle! It has instant throttle response. My KTM is a completely different animal not much bottom at all but from mid up it flat rips all the way to the rev limiter 14,000 rpm and thats where you have to stay to make power, but when your there hang on.

Having rode both a 2016 sxf 250 and 2016 yzf 250. I would say the ktm has more bottom and pretty much more power everywhere. 

I don't know what bikes you've rode but my sons yzf definitely has more bottom and my sxf definitely has more top! all the reviews say the same.The ktm has more hp but it's at the top. I weight 145 lbs and geared my 250 sxf down 1 tooth on the rear sprocket so that I can stay in second and third gear longer. I'm a solid b vet rider I have to stay on the bubble to be fast. On the straights i can pull yzf.