Going to buy a 2017 500 EXC

I have my mind set on buying a new 2017 500 EXC, just have to find one as there are none in stock at any of the dealerships anywhere near me.  

Are motorcycle dealerships like auto dealers where if they can locate a model they can arrange for the vehicle to be swapped?  Is it easy enough for a dealer to get a bike, provided there is one available?  

I have my mind set on buying a new 2017 500 EXC, just have to find one as there are none in stock at any of the dealerships anywhere near me.  

Are motorcycle dealerships like auto dealers where if they can locate a model they can arrange for the vehicle to be swapped?  Is it easy enough for a dealer to get a bike, provided there is one available?  

several 2017' models haven't been released yet for sale in the U.S.

Good luck finding one. Even when they become available so many people have been waiting they will be like unicorns. In and out in one day. Plus The EPA nazis have them held up and now Ktm is doing an about face trying to "fix" them. Not even sure I'd want one at this point. Who knows what issues these last minute changes could do. If there's a lock down on the computer to satisfy EPA etc. causing it to run like a dog etc.

Good luck finding one. Even when they become available so many people have been waiting they will be like unicorns. In and out in one day. Plus The EPA nazis have them held up and now Ktm is doing an about face trying to "fix" them. Not even sure I'd want one at this point. Who knows what issues these last minute changes could do. If there's a lock down on the computer to satisfy EPA etc. causing it to run like a dog etc.

Ok, because  I'm bored and tired of the constant uninformed speculation as I wait for my 350 EXC may I ask  how KTM is doing an "about face" on anything....Please Clarify 

Ok, because  I'm bored and tired of the constant uninformed speculation as I wait for my 350 EXC may I ask  how KTM is doing an "about face" on anything....Please Clarify

Soemething to do with the fuel tanks and having to make changes. Not sure of details. Just multiple posts all over the place all say the same thing so it just be more than just an internet rumor. They have to comply with the crazy California standards. Love my 16 500 exc. But honestly I'd be looking a lot harder at the betas if I was buying now. Seriously doubt the 500's will be available to be found once they are finally released.
  • Like 1

Soemething to do with the fuel tanks and having to make changes. Not sure of details. Just multiple posts all over the place all say the same thing so it just be more than just an internet rumor. They have to comply with the crazy California standards. Love my 16 500 exc. But honestly I'd be looking a lot harder at the betas if I was buying now. Seriously doubt the 500's will be available to be found once they are finally released.

Yeah,I've heard all of it already because I'm stupid enough to get caught up in the crap and search for news. I've decided to keep my 2010 530 exc and not replace it because I like the bike so much and  my wife says why not have both a 350 and a 500. Gotta love her for that! It really is a pain to deal with CARB in this state and have them have such a large impact on a hobby that is so innocent in the big picture. I ride in the desert where I seldom see anybody. I'll do whatever it takes to make my bikes run perfect until they pry them from my cold dead hands. That was kinda fun to say....Cheers,Scott  

I really have no idea why they're not available here yet, BUT "multiple posts all over the place saying the same thing" does not make anything true. That's the type of logic that wins elections for politicians; repeat a lie enough times and it becomes truth (to the general population anyway). I have no idea if the statement is true or not, but just seeing it repeated is no way to go about fact checking. ?

That said; if there's anything in the ECU negatively affecting performance, the aftermarket will have a solution for it very very quickly. If it is in fact a gas tank issue, I'm sure they'll resolve it quickly. Don't be afraid of new. A box stock EXC now with only a sprocket change is worlds better than any off-road-only model from 10 or 15 years ago. The EPA will tighten restrictions, but manufactuers will find ways to make it work. The aftermarket will plug any holes the manufacturers leave behind. ?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  

I'm in MA and yesterday had called a KTM dealer that was open in CA and he laughed and said he had no idea when the 17 EXC 500 would be available.  

I called a dealer near me this morning and he had no idea either.  

I'm going to call another dealer nearby tomorrow as most dealerships are closed on Monday's but I do know that a 500 EXC is what I want.  

Maybe a direct call to KTM North America would answer the question:

http://www.ktm.com/us/contact-folder/contact/

Thanks for that number.  I had just tried to call and was on hold for a while when I had realized that a salesman had mentioned that the rep. with whom he can get information from is not in on Monday's.  I will call again tomorrow or later today as it is right around lunchtime right now, even in Ohio.  

• Like 1

It would be good to get it from the horses mouth if you can get them to open it. I'm over it as far as letting it bother me. I'm getting a 350 exc next and will work on it while I ride my 530. Probably a 500 exc next season. It costs a lot to pay for the weather here in California...Gas...Electricity....Food....costs me $500 a month in the summer just to water my yard ...  So my EXC's need exhaust tires etc and now maybe a new ECU. Oh well, I guess that's life. Still feel blessed to be living in the good ole USA!!

Cheers

Here I am, the most ignorant prospective KTM owner on the internet.  All I know is that the 500 EXC is the dual sport that I want/need and that the 2017 was announced in either May or June of 2016 and when it will show up is anyone's guess.

At first I had considered the 350 EXC but for the extra $300 and some 10lbs more, as I had both CR500R's for woods bikes and 1000cc streetbikes, the 500 EXC is the one I know I can wait for.  

Hang in there Thundra because I really do believe it will be worth the wait. I've been waiting for 2 years  to try out the 350exc when I found out about the changes that would finally trickle down to the EXC's.  We're getting close...Life is Good!   

Hang in there Thundra because I really do believe it will be worth the wait. I've been waiting for 2 years  to try out the 350exc when I found out about the changes that would finally trickle down to the EXC's.  We're getting close...Life is Good!   

I'm definitely going to wait.  I sometimes think about a 2016 with just under 1,000 miles, or a 2014, also with under 1,000 miles but the 500 EXC would be my very first brand new bike I will have ever had the pleasure to own so the wait will be worth it.  

You can also look at husky, I switch my order for a husqvarna because in my case it was much cheaper.

Thanks for this suggestion.  I had no idea that the Husky is a close relative to the KTM.

I just called the closest dealer to me and he said that, like the KTM's, the Husky's are being held up due to the motors and compliance with California/CARB-something or another.  The FE 501 is listed at $100 more than the KTM 500, $10,799 vs $10,699 for the KTM.  

For me the husky was 300$ less and the dealer was willing to give 1000$ in accessories which the ktm dealer was not. Also the bike come with map switch and skid plate. It also has higher end wheels and cnc machined triple clamp. Depending if you wanted to buy that or not it might be worth it.

They are almost the same bike, main difference is the type of rear suspension.