Hi- So I want to get into dirt bikes and I need some help picking out one so I'm around 5'8 and weigh 125lbs I'm not sure what else to put so you need more answers I got them :)

Crf 150, klx 140, xr100.

Something that is user friendly, be able to flat foot both feet on the ground, something with a clutch - may as well learn now.

Most entry level bikes are gently used, in my experience, so look for the newest / cleanest bike you can afford. There are a lot of options out there.

Someone is, without a doubt, going to say a 250/300 2 stroke. Please dont.

Someone is, without a doubt, going to say a 250/300 2 stroke. Please dont.

This is absolutely great advice.

You need at least a CR 500 liger or possibly a Maico 700. They are hard to find though. The next best thing would be your favorite color of air cooled 4 stroke under 250cc's.

• Like 1

Crf230 in my opinion just enough to have fun but not enough to get you trouble!

I will be flawed for saying that tho lol but look here what ever you get you will learn how to ride.....rather the hard way or the easy way lol

Air cooled=less mantainance

Water cooled = slightly more

I grew up on 2 strokes swaped to 4's an went back to 2's just me tho.

• Like 1

Crf230 in my opinion just enough to have fun but not enough to get you trouble!

I will be flawed for saying that tho lol but look here what ever you get you will learn how to ride.....rather the hard way or the easy way lol

Air cooled=less mantainance

Water cooled = slightly more

I grew up on 2 strokes swaped to 4's an went back to 2's just me tho.

What do you mean by get in trouble?

Yes hurt then regardless it makes you gun shy!

Not to say when you get exp you won't crash an burn but just to me learning HOW to crash also helps learning how to ride!

Look here you don't need the latest an greatest dirt bike or the biggest get somethin you can pick up off the ground an don't break the bank because if your just starting out well your going to but plastics an handlebars

Be SURE to invest in #1 a good helmet! An I suggest an good pair of mx boots I also wear a chest protector also ,I like my spine, lol

But a helmet is a must!! Your going to crash some worse than others lol

I would also say start out with a stock bike you can do aftermarket later as you become more comfortable with it

A good air cooled 200 to 250 will provide you lots of fun startin out an when you do out grow it an go bigger an faster you can keep it around to putt around on

Where in tn are you from?

• Like 1

Plus 1 on gear. I have seen multiple broken ankles because people thought work boots were good enough. Helmet , goggles, gloves and boots are bare minimum. Neck brace, knee braces, roost guard is even better.

There is 1 simple truth in dirt biking. There is no IF I crash. It's WHEN I crash.

Edited by ohiodrz400sm
  • Like 1

Yes hurt then regardless it makes you gun shy!

Not to say when you get exp you won't crash an burn but just to me learning HOW to crash also helps learning how to ride!

Look here you don't need the latest an greatest dirt bike or the biggest get somethin you can pick up off the ground an don't break the bank because if your just starting out well your going to but plastics an handlebars

Be SURE to invest in #1 a good helmet! An I suggest an good pair of mx boots I also wear a chest protector also ,I like my spine, lol

But a helmet is a must!! Your going to crash some worse than others lol

I would also say start out with a stock bike you can do aftermarket later as you become more comfortable with it

A good air cooled 200 to 250 will provide you lots of fun startin out an when you do out grow it an go bigger an faster you can keep it around to putt around onWhere in tn are you from?

I'm in Knoxville

Good ridding over there! An you have rocks! So as me an Ohio said helmet boots goggles chest protector with good spine protection enough bout that you get the hint lol

Tell us what kinda bike you have in mind? We know you have been lookin haha what have you looked at?

Edited by bubba thomas

Good ridding over there! An you have rocks! So as me an Ohio said helmet boots goggles chest protector with good spine protection enough bout that you get the hint lol

Tell us what kinda bike you have in mind? We know you have been lookin haha what have you looked at? Good ridding over there! An you have rocks! So as me an Ohio said helmet boots goggles chest protector with good spine protection enough bout that you get the hint lol

Tell us what kinda bike you have in mind? We know you have been lookin haha what have you looked at?

im not sure I've seen a crf250r for $5800 new at my Honda dealer not sure if that's good or not but yeah

I have a 14 YZ250F I haven't even laid down let. I think I'm gonna kick it off the stand when I get home just for good luck.

Hahahhahaha that's funny!! Seems like just about every ride I have to get that one crash out of the way before I can get goin good!!!!

I run a 02cr 250 thought it was a great idea to have a ex mx bike to run woods!! LolImageUploadedByThumper Talk1481163786.456348.jpg

Hahahhahaha that's funny!! Seems like just about every ride I have to get that one crash out of the way before I can get goin good!!!!

I run a 02cr 250 thought it was a great idea to have a ex mx bike to run woods!! Lolattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1481163786.456348.jpg

My nickname is Crash. I have just been on a lucky streak I guess.

me?

Yes you. And don't say me again.

My nickname is Crash. I have just been on a lucky streak I guess.

Yes you. And don't say me again.

Sorry:( and I think it's a xr80r 1996 or 97 Edited by Aceinyoface

im not sure I've seen a crf250r for $5800 new at my Honda dealer not sure if that's good or not but yeah

Ok what kind of ridding do you plan on?

Honda R is there "race" bike x is there "trail" bike I dislike both lol! But that's just me just because my 2 stroke,to me, is less mantainance an suits my riddin,xc.

I would say don't buy a brand new bike you can USUALY pick one up for half that on same kind! An it don't hurt as bad crashin a 2000 -2500 bike verses a 5 to 10g bike!

What do you think ohio?