How to prevent whisky throttle

I used to ride a yz125 and I was pretty good, all track riding but it seemed like once a month i would whiskey throttle.. I now have a yz250 and a whiskey throttle would have a more worse consequence.. any tips on avoiding them?

Stay on the front of the bike. Whiskey throttle happens when you let yourself get yanked backward on the bike. Stay forward, keep your elbows bent, and grip the bike with your legs, should never have whiskey throttle.  👍

• Like 8

^^^ this...stay at the front of the bike.

Also when standing in the "attack position": stay forward and low.

What I also do is keep the pointer finger of the throttle hand resting on the brake lever.

This acts as a pivot and sort of locks down the throttle by keeping the wrist steady.

Edited by allrightythen
  • Like 2

Keep your weight on your legs (which helps you stay forward)

Cover the clutch...

Yep.  what he said.  Remember the clutch is the go/no go switch.  Throttle is only for the speed at which you wish to go.  Best to remind yourself of this over and over again until you make this an instinctual connection in your brain so when something goes wrong, very first action and thought is  pull in clutch.

• Like 1

New dirt bike rider here. I thought I had great throttle control from years of sport bike road and track riding. Once I went on dirt, whisky throttle became an instant problem. I've found that covering my clutch and slipping it a bit when the whisky throttle come on solved my problem.

I always have my finger on the clutch no matter what. It helps with more then just whiskey throttle. The reaction time is way faster.

It's good to cover the clutch, but it's not the solution to whiskey throttle. Technique, mostly body position, staying low, crouched and forward to anticipate acceleration is what stops it, and leaves you in a position to regrip should need be.

I'm really wondering how often some of these guys replace their clutches. Sounds like a a lot of slipping going on. Anyway as stated above by some others, grip with your legs(grip tape down the frame aids in this) and keep your elbows up. Death grip and whiskey throttle go hand in hand(no pun intended)

I'm really wondering how often some of these guys replace their clutches. Sounds like a a lot of slipping going on. Anyway as stated above by some others, grip with your legs(grip tape down the frame aids in this) and keep your elbows up. Death grip and whiskey throttle go hand in hand(no pun intended)

Idk about the other people but I just keep my pointer finger on the clutch lever at all times. I do t ride the clutch or use it a lot. For me it just to increase the reaction time if I have to pull it.

Idk about the other people but I just keep my pointer finger on the clutch lever at all times. I do t ride the clutch or use it a lot. For me it just to increase the reaction time if I have to pull it.

I'm the same. Finger (almost) always on the clutch, even with running a Rekluse.
  • Like 1