Bottom end failure, crankcase usable?

Hi all! I'm new here but have found lots of useful information here in the past. So here's the deal... I have a project I'm working on, it's a 07 or 08 Honda CRF150R and the owner had the connecting rod bearing on the crank blow out. So when the piston came down it would hit the crank and the connecting rod would hit the bottom of the crank case. As you can guess this left damage on the crank case. Now I have a new crank kit and a new top end kit to rebuild it. However the issue now is the damage to the case. Right in the middle where the two halves of the crank meet there are some chunks missing. So there would be holes when put together that would allow oil to travel from the crank to the transmission, also another hole at the bottom of the crank leading into a passage way. Wondering how critical this is and if it can be used like this. If I could figure out how to post pics I would but not sure how to do that so if someone could enlighten me I would be happy to attach some pics I have taken to demonstrate. Thanks for any info!

20161207_202727.jpg

20161207_202716.jpg

20161207_202318.jpg

20161207_202311.jpg

Edited by TDawg022

Hi all! I'm new here but have found lots of useful information here in the past. So here's the deal... I have a project I'm working on, it's a 07 or 08 Honda CRF150R and the owner had the connecting rod bearing on the crank blow out. So when the piston came down it would hit the crank and the connecting rod would hit the bottom of the crank case. As you can guess this left damage on the crank case. Now I have a new crank kit and a new top end kit to rebuild it. However the issue now is the damage to the case. Right in the middle where the two halves of the crank meet there are some chunks missing. So there would be holes when put together that would allow oil to travel from the crank to the transmission, also another hole at the bottom of the crank leading into a passage way. Wondering how critical this is and if it can be used like this. If I could figure out how to post pics I would but not sure how to do that so if someone could enlighten me I would be happy to attach some pics I have taken to demonstrate. Thanks for any info!

After look at the photo there no way you be able to reuse the two case half's keep in mind the CRF150R is dry sump set-up

Edited by shspvr

Thanks for the info. Would the bike run if I put it back together like this or what would happen? I looked up the dry sump but don't fully understand it. From what I understand there would be more oil getting into the crank than there should be. I understand this is bad and I do feel like these are unusable but the issue I'm having is explaining this to the owner of the bike. He doesn't think there would be anything wrong with using them. He figures it will all be full of oil anyways...

Thanks for the info. Would the bike run if I put it back together like this or what would happen? I looked up the dry sump but don't fully understand it. From what I understand there would be more oil getting into the crank than there should be. I understand this is bad and I do feel like these are unusable but the issue I'm having is explaining this to the owner of the bike. He doesn't think there would be anything wrong with using them. He figures it will all be full of oil anyways...

Dry sump on the CRF150R has to do with crank that doesn't set in a bath oil like say reg CRF150F motor dose which know as a wet sump

​On the CRF150R crank case it has small slot right at very bottom that goes to catch can then in to tank pan it self just below that where oil pump is at, the main diff is there not need for scavenge pump that how the engine is able to turn 14,000 rpm

That why the transmission has it oil. 

If put this together the way it is it will just lock and do even more damage.

Oh that what most happing when do not check the oil level or over fill it or used cheap oil when should using a Full Synthetic and the right weight 10-40w or not change the oil to when that should be done ever 20/30 hours no if or but same with oil filter to

Another possible is over rev the motor but kind say with see the rest of the parts photo crank, cyl and head

I took look at on ebay oh god a lot of them there are damage I wouldn't troch them with 100ft pole nor give what ask price there off there rockers but I see two below 

Bottom End 1

Bottom End 2

Those pieces in the pics are junk.  There are cracked pieces that will break off and get into the oil pump, and you will have another engine failure.  We had a crank failure that cost $600 in OEM parts with the bent valves that you surely have.  I would be looking for another bike or whole engine.

Edited by gsa102

Those things are toast man. I too would suggest a possibly used engine off ebay or a used bottom end. From what I saw, this looks like a common problem with these bikes and parts are pretty interchangeable between 03-09 ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1481743052.949686.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input! It's not my bike, was an opportunity to make a little extra cash as the owner had it sitting for a couple years now and wasn't doing anything with it so I was going to fix it up and get it running then sell it and pay him a portion of the sale. At this point it's looking like I'm going to box it all back up and give it back to the owner. Not worth me spending that kind of money and doing the work. Thanks again guys!

• Like 1