Deposit is in for a 2017 500 RS through BYOB. Excited!

I started my search for a dual sport about a month ago.  

My last dirtbike was a 96 CR500R that I only rode trails with and was all stock.  It was a great bike for off road but sadly, I had no one left to ride with and with no trails close by I sold it in 2009.  I had also sold my streetbike in 2009 and got a Corvette.  Enough of that.  

A month ago I was going to buy a 2017 CRF250L.  I had been going back and forth between that and a WR250R and wondered if the extra $1,500 or so was worth it.  Then I had seen the KTM 350 and 500 EXC and put a deposit on a 17 500 EXC, THEN I came across the Beta 430 and 500 RS and went up to the closest dealer today to swing a leg over the 430 and chat with a salesman, I like the bike.  I'm thinking of canceling my deposit for the EXC and just buying the 430 RS.  

Here are my thoughts, if you care;

I would save $1,000 right off the bat as the MSRP for the 430 is $9,699 where the EXC is $10,699.  For $100 more I could get the 500  but I don't think I'll need the extra power as I know I'm past my prime CR500R riding days and the 430 will be nice both on the road and on the trails.  I'm mostly going to be riding the 4.5-6.5 miles back and forth to work over city streets and on the weekends, depending on where I am, or at night when I can go and ride for an hour or two after the kids go to bed, I know I won't be riding all day long, both weekend days like I did when I was single and had friends and the time to go and ride-I sure miss those days.  

I like that I can save the money and I like that I have been reading that Beta's are every bit as good and every bit as reliable as every other motorcycle out there and that both parts and service won't be an issue.  

The only two things that I consider changing on the bike would be the fuel tank and getting a bigger tank but then as I had mentioned, I might ride 60 miles a week going back and forth to work so stopping for gas won't be a big deal and again, I have no one to ride with so I really wouldn't need to worry about range plus, as a dual sport, I could just ride the the gas station-yes!  

I like that the bike has the Voyager GPS, that is a $300 bonus.  I can go out and find new trails near me-there aren't many but there are some, powerlines and stuff and not have to really worry about getting lost, not that it was ever a problem in the past but it is nice to also have the tach, engine temp and all the other features it has that other bikes just don't have, yet.  

While I'm 5'7" and 165 dry, I had no problem at all having both toes touching the ground, no different than I was on my CR500's.  I was glad that I won't have to get and possibly have any lowering kits installed.  All the controls felt nice and I like that the clutch is hydraulic, the throttle pull was really smooth and light and that the bike still has the kickstarter-that KTM has done away with in 17.  

I had taken the seat off using the pushbutton and the salesman had shown me where they had installed the quick connector for a battery tender as well as rings on the lower triple clamp for the tie-down hooks-another couple of bonus'.  

Bike was brand new sitting there, waiting for me.  Should I cancel the deposit on the KTM-as who knows when they might start shipping their bikes, save me $1,000 to put towards a new Shoei Hornet X2 helmet and the hitch rack I'll be needing for my SUV, and a possible LED headlight upgrade and buy the 2017 Beta 430 RS?  

Edited by Thundra

Yes, but you are going to get biased answers in the Beta section. If you post in the KTM section... Same thing.

If you posted this in the "What bike should I get" you might get more answers from a broader audience. I still say the Beta. $1000 less, no brainer.

Edited by FUHL

If you go Beta, from your description, i would get the 500.

I think about the 500/480, and then I realize that I am getting older and while I know I could still ride the CR500R if I still had it, I'd still be happy with a 430.  I almost bought a CR 250L knowing that every time I visit my brother in law and ride his XR250 and even his KLX 140, I have so much fun going so fast on slow(er) bikes that having a 430 will be more than enough for me as  I'm now closer to 50 than I am to 40, boo-hoo.  Thankfully I'm still in decent shape to ride and I know that having a bike again will keep me in even better shape as riding, even on the road, takes a lot more than just sitting in my truck going back and forth to work.  

The plus' for the Beta for me are:

$1,000 less than the KTM.  While money is not really an issue, saving some money is always nice right off the bat for what is probably a comparable item like the Beta vs KTM.  

Voyager GPS/speedo/tach display

Has the dual map switch already installed-it is an extra $189 on the KTM

The bike is on the floor, ready for me to buy and save some money and I'm sure I'd be happy with it as I have been reading for hours of all those with 2015 and 2016 430 and 480 RS' that are enjoying their bikes.  

I may have to have my deposit refunded and buy the 430 tomorrow.  

Comparing the 2 bikes, my short take-away for you;

@ 5'7" I'd much rather be on the lowest seat height for comfort in tight singletrack. I'm 5'9" and I use the SeatConcepts low seat as running proper sag for my weight and 31" inseam I did not like the KTM seat height for me, and I looked very closely at  KTM 2 years ago

The Beta has suspension today IMHO is easier to tune for your type of riding, the Sachs OC stuff is excellent.

Fuel tank, you can buy either a 3.1 or 4 gallon tank from your Beta dealer

The 430 is Cheaper and you don't have to wear a KTM sweatshirt  :naughty:

Good luck!

I've decided to do the BYOB and order a 500 RS.  Thanks for the reply MarkBevans.  

I know I will like the suspension because there was never a suspension I didn't like.  I don't and have never ridden motocross or raced in any sort of event.  I've just been a woods/trails rider riding around in circles through the forests like every other rider out there.  The Beta will be my first brand new bike, all the others were used and other than fork oil changes I never did anything with suspension but tune it to work as best as it would work.  The suspension will be awesome on this new bike and I have a feeling I'll be taking the time to take the rear shock off to have it serviced every now and then as I will owe it to myself at this point.  Mainly because I now have the money to do it whereas in the past I was both too lazy and had less money than I do now.  

The 430 I had sat on had the preload maxed so that the sag was at the very minimum and I had no trouble with the seat height at all.  With the preload dialed down for me it would only get the seat height down where it would be even better for me.

I had added about $800 worth of extras through the BYOB so I will call the great salesperson I had spoken with today and let him know what I'm going to do.  

I'm the type that has NO loyalty to anything so no KTM sweatshirt for me, ha!  No Beta gear for me either.  I'm even ordering the all white plastic for $99 as I'm not a fan of the red plastics with the decals.  I might just leave the bike plain white or find a custom wrapper to make me some small 500 RS decals to put on.  Small American Flags, something discreet like that.  

I'm excited and look forward to being a part of every Beta forum out there.  

Once I put my order in I will share the little things I had added.  

Edited by Thundra

I would offer some advice, but you've got this!

I would offer some advice, but you've got this!

I would love your advice Johnny Depp.  You are, after all, considered once again to be the most overpaid actor in Hollywood for, what I had heard, the second year in a row.  Hey, you don't write and produce the movies, you just do your job, right?  

You, that have a 500, at this point in time, have the most important advice for me on the planet.  Sincerely.  

I built my 2017 500 RS and submitted the $500 down payment just now.  

Beta shows that the bike will be at my local dealership in 30 days.  

I added the following to the BYOB and decided to go with the 500 over the 430.  

White plastics with no decals.  I had done a quick search and didn't see much for aftermarket graphics for the bike but all I'd want are a few very small Beta decalsl and maybe a 500RS decal to put somewhere otherwise I'll be ok with a plain white Beta as the stock graphics and red plastics were definitely not for me.  

Billet flex cluch and brake levers-made by Beta

A 10mm shorter billet shift lever

Passenger footpeg kit

Extra stock twin-air air filter

Preload adjuster

That was about it.  Now to wait 30 days.  

You, that have a 500, at this point in time, have the most important advice for me on the planet.  Sincerely.  

Here's my personal background and mindset on the Beta choice for my intended goals.

Recently (last coupla weeks) picked up a bone stock 500RR-S.

I went with the 500(480) since I subscribe to the "no replacement for displacement" mindset; however, the 430 and 500 are close in performance, but in different power delivery manners as far as I have read. I have zero experience with Beta beyond the blind purchase I made based on forum data and other text. It was a semi-crapshoot, and I am very happy I made the choice. My intended use is a dirt bike for trails, etc., a DS bike, a lightweight ADV bike, a wanderlust bike; effectively, a veritable yaya bike that will cover much of the riding styles I am interested in.

I have a CRF450X, and a CR500 for exclusive trail riding, but my intent was to replace the X with the Beta 500.

Dealmakers for the Beta, for me:

6 SPD tranny, nice for tarmac sections. 80MPH is not an uncommon cadence for traffic in my area.

FI

Map switch

DOT ready

"DB with blinkers"

Very favorable feedback from owners

Relatively low weight (~249LBS)

F-ing sexy bike

Dealmakers for the 500cc lump, for me:

6'3"/230+LBS

Not planning on racing it in ultra-competitive events, so the big block wan't a deficit

Should be a hoot in scramblecross events

Good for tarmac and general DS and/or light ADV use

Wanderlust worthy

Current/planned additions/changes:

Unabiker radiator guards

Flexx Bars (no wrist issues, but don't care for any, either)

Cycra ProBends

4.0L fuel tank, IMS. It's a cartoonishly large tank...I dubbed it the "Valdeez".

Seat Concepts wide/tall seat. (I found it not that comfortable, so may try and roll my own if I can locate a seat pan.)

Tidy up the rear end DOT abomination on the rear fender

Phuzzy-love it!  I'm now very much like you were having only set eyes on a Beta for the first time yesterday and only going on reviews online granted they have all been excellent.  

Also like you, I am going into the purchase blind as with every other bike  I had purchased, I had the chance to ride them before buying, they were all used bikes but at least I got to get a feel for them first, not with the Beta, all I did was swing a leg over a 430RS but I have a good feeling that if the motors are nicer than an XR250R's then I'll be happy.  

Thanks for sharing, it will keep me going these next 30 or so days.  

I sold my 2016 ktm 350excf for my Beta 500RS and couldn't be happier. Poor customer service through ktm helped make my decision along with the year warranty Beta offers versus 6 month for ktm. Also enjoying the trailtech gps a lot.

I sold my 2016 ktm 350excf for my Beta 500RS and couldn't be happier. Poor customer service through ktm helped make my decision along with the year warranty Beta offers versus 6 month for ktm. Also enjoying the trailtech gps a lot.

Nice!  The 478cc motor has to be a big step up in power as compared to the 350 I can imagine.  I had considered the 350 EXC as well, heck, I considered them all, but know that having the power and not needing it is better than needing and not having it.  

The salesperson I had spoken with yesterday also happened to be the son of the owner of the dealership and he was really good about speaking with me about the brand and the bike.  He had preferred the 430 for it being "snappier" and many of those who have ridding both bikes feel the same way, but I like to lug the motor at times so the extra cubes will be nice.  

I didn't even know about the 1 year warranty vs the 6 months that KTM provides, that is a nice bonus.  

The Voyager TrailTech also helped sway my decision.  I like that the display has both a tach and engine/water temp AND the GPS.  In all my years I had never bothered with GPS on either the dirtbikes or the snowmobiles but being able to track and lay down a trail to possibly use for getting un-lost will be really nice.  

Edited by Thundra

I built my 2017 500 RS and submitted the $500 down payment just now.  

Beta shows that the bike will be at my local dealership in 30 days.  

I added the following to the BYOB and decided to go with the 500 over the 430.  

White plastics with no decals.  I had done a quick search and didn't see much for aftermarket graphics for the bike but all I'd want are a few very small Beta decalsl and maybe a 500RS decal to put somewhere otherwise I'll be ok with a plain white Beta as the stock graphics and red plastics were definitely not for me.  

Billet flex cluch and brake levers-made by Beta

A 10mm shorter billet shift lever

Passenger footpeg kit

Extra stock twin-air air filter

Preload adjuster

That was about it.  Now to wait 30 days.  

Good choice and congrats on the 500RS.

I put white Polisport plastic on my 350 and thought it was ugly as hell without graphics, but I tend to not like plain bikes especially black. 

Pics with and without graphics. 

1023162057_zpsych53mui.jpg

1204162016a_zpskei72hx2.jpg

I am loving that Timbersled set-up.  I may have to get one of those kits.  

I think I may have to look for some sort of minimalist graphics kit for the white plastics too.  

Nice!  The 478cc motor has to be a big step up in power as compared to the 350 I can imagine.  I had considered the 350 EXC as well, heck, I considered them all, but know that having the power and not needing it is better than needing and not having it.  

The salesperson I had spoken with yesterday also happened to be the son of the owner of the dealership and he was really good about speaking with me about the brand and the bike.  He had preferred the 430 for it being "snappier" and many of those who have ridding both bikes feel the same way, but I like to lug the motor at times so the extra cubes will be nice.  

I didn't even know about the 1 year warranty vs the 6 months that KTM provides, that is a nice bonus.  

The Voyager TrailTech also helped sway my decision.  I like that the display has both a tach and engine/water temp AND the GPS.  In all my years I had never bothered with GPS on either the dirtbikes or the snowmobiles but being able to track and lay down a trail to possibly use for getting un-lost will be really nice.  

Congrats! Wise choice in models for your intended needs. 

The Beta warranty is great, never used mine, which I guess is a good thing. 

Beta overall reliability is on par or better than anyone else, the dealers I've met are dedicated to the brand. Better than some orange dealers I've encountered. 

The GPS and all its functions are a pleasure, easy to upload to, and of course making maps.

I'm going to buy a VersaHauler tonight as discountramps has a 10% off holiday sale, might as well save 10% when I can as I know I'll need the rack to get the bike around anytime I take the family somewhere, especially on the weekends in the summer when we go away and either on windy days when the boat cannot go out, or at night once the kids are in bed, I can get out and ride the sandy roads that ring all the cranberry bogs as well as the powerlines that are nearby.  

You are right Mark, the best warranty, like any insurance, is the one one does not have to use. 

I think about the 500/480, and then I realize that I am getting older and while I know I could still ride the CR500R if I still had it, I'd still be happy with a 430.  I almost bought a CR 250L knowing that every time I visit my brother in law and ride his XR250 and even his KLX 140, I have so much fun going so fast on slow(er) bikes that having a 430 will be more than enough for me as  I'm now closer to 50 than I am to 40, boo-hoo.  Thankfully I'm still in decent shape to ride and I know that having a bike again will keep me in even better shape as riding, even on the road, takes a lot more than just sitting in my truck going back and forth to work.  

I've decided to do the BYOB and order a 500 RS.  Thanks for the reply MarkBevans.  

I think you made the right choice with the 500.

The 430 is more of a "race"/peakier power band while the 500 is the mellow tractor type with strong controllable linear type power. I love the power delivery on my 500. It's as easy to ride as my DRZ400 but feels like it's on serious steroids. There's no burst of power anywhere. Want to go slow and plonk through a section, will do smooth and steady, want a little more, open the throttle just what you want, that's what you get. Want to make things move past you very fast, open the throttle more......

It's perfect as far as I'm concerned and I have zero regrets going with the 500.

If you really want a smaller bike the 390 is the sweet one. 

I think you made the right choice with the 500.

The 430 is more of a "race"/peakier power band while the 500 is the mellow tractor type with strong controllable linear type power. I love the power delivery on my 500. It's as easy to ride as my DRZ400 but feels like it's on serious steroids. There's no burst of power anywhere. Want to go slow and plonk through a section, will do smooth and steady, want a little more, open the throttle just what you want, that's what you get. Want to make things move past you very fast, open the throttle more......

It's perfect as far as I'm concerned and I have zero regrets going with the 500.

If you really want a smaller bike the 390 is the sweet one. 

I love your description of the 500 vs the 430.  

I can't help but to think that the 450cc 4S motors were/are the equivalent of a 250cc 2S motor, at least when they first came out they were, maybe the current 450's are a bit more powerful nowadays but I want that little extra so the 500 should do it for me and I knew that if I did get the 430 I'd always be wondering about the 500/478.  

A friend of mine at the time said that a CR500R could not be ridden in the woods/trails and I had no trouble, ever, riding my pretty much bone-stock CR anywhere and everywhere I wanted to.  

Have you gotten a chance to use the wet/dry switch on your 17 500 RR-S yet danketchpel?  

Frank Plig had emailed me back yesterday and I'm glad that the gears are in motion.