Rebuilding an RF4 Crank?

Hi all,

Does anyone know the go-to source for rebuilding RF4 cranks? I'm thinking about starting to plan a full top-bottom rebuild of my 450 RF4. I can easily find top ends, but I've read that needle bearing bottom ends have a legitimately limited service life, and thus should be replaced/rebuilt.

Obviously I can find a nice conrod rebuild kit, but I haven't found any services able to rebuild cranks for me. Does anyone know what it'll end up costing total? KTM doesn't rebuild cranks themselves, do they?

Thanks

Www.crankworks.com

I've never personally used them so I don't have an opinion, maybe some others here have.

I had min done at Point View Cycle in PA.  www.bleedktmorange.com   They did great work.  The rod kit wasn't cheap.  $450 if i remember, but the labor was just over $100.  Keep in mind with the main bearings/shims that you need to do some work to check the end play.  I actually bought the tool(have to heat the cases up to press the bearings in and heat the tool up to press the races on the crank) but ended up just sending the cases and crank back to Point View and let them do it.  Was worth the price to make sure it was good.  Plus sticking an engine in the oven i cook food in probably wasn't the smartest idea :)

FYI pointview also honed my cylinder and fixed my head.  I had some cam journal issues and they were the only place i could find that would weld/fix the journals cause i couldn't even find a used head.  I highly suggest working with them!

If you want to do it yourself(for the end play stuff) ill sell you the tool.  I never used it.

FYI i just did a full rebuild on a 2011 RF4 so let me know if you have any questions.

20150509_221412.jpg

I had min done at Point View Cycle in PA.  www.bleedktmorange.com   They did great work.  The rod kit wasn't cheap.  $450 if i remember, but the labor was just over $100.  Keep in mind with the main bearings/shims that you need to do some work to check the end play.  I actually bought the tool(have to heat the cases up to press the bearings in and heat the tool up to press the races on the crank) but ended up just sending the cases and crank back to Point View and let them do it.  Was worth the price to make sure it was good.  Plus sticking an engine in the oven i cook food in probably wasn't the smartest idea :)

FYI pointview also honed my cylinder and fixed my head.  I had some cam journal issues and they were the only place i could find that would weld/fix the journals cause i couldn't even find a used head.  I highly suggest working with them!

If you want to do it yourself(for the end play stuff) ill sell you the tool.  I never used it.

FYI i just did a full rebuild on a 2011 RF4 so let me know if you have any questions.

attachicon.gif20150509_221412.jpg

Awesome. I'm slightly interested in your tool, but I know how expensive KTM tools can be... I wish there was something like a tool rental for those tools that get used once. On another note, I called Point View Cycle and they said approximately $200 in labor alone, as they send the cranks to KTM themselves.

Cooksey did a great job on my KTM 2-stroke. Zero run-out, on time, fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmTvQl4VOsU

Cooksey looks awesome, I actually found them earlier, but he doesn't do 450/505 cranks!

Did you talk to jason? Are sending the bottom end or just the crank? The rod kit was expensive but their prices are best around. Ive probably invested $500 in tools for the rf4. I have 2 of them but decided to sell one. There is a clutch basket tool. A gear jamming tool. Crank removal tool, flywheel puller and the crank bearing tool. In parts and what paid them to fix the head and do the crank id guess I am $1500-$2000 easy. I'm afraid to add it up.

Pm me about the tools.

Did you talk to jason? Are sending the bottom end or just the crank? The rod kit was expensive but their prices are best around. Ive probably invested $500 in tools for the rf4. I have 2 of them but decided to sell one. There is a clutch basket tool. A gear jamming tool. Crank removal tool, flywheel puller and the crank bearing tool. In parts and what paid them to fix the head and do the crank id guess I am $1500-$2000 easy. I'm afraid to add it up.

Pm me about the tools.

Awesome. Yeah, I'm loving the RF4 for what it is, a crazy good engine. I'm just trying not to put holes in my cases or anything like that... planning on trying to keep this bike for as long as it'll let me!