Early mid-life crisis?

Hi guys/gals,

I am 36 years old and have recently gotten into dirt riding. So far I have been doing mostly single track woods riding with a splash of motocross mixed in. 

My genesis with dirt riding started way back at 13 years old. I bought a much too powerful CR80 off a buddy who raced and was moving up to 125 class. I rode that dirty smoker for years and loved every second of it. 

Then the inevitable happened... I got into high school, got a car, got a job, went to college, got a better job, got a wife, got a couple kids and a mortgage.... Through all this I always rode single track mountain bikes. But, I never thought I would get on a dirt bike again.

Until one fateful day, the day I saw the perfect little crf70f on craigslist and just had to buy it for my nine year old. The old feeling came back with a vengeance. Wasn't long before I was trying to teach him how to wheelie across the back yard :) All to some pretty hilarious results. 

So as you all have probably guessed, he kept bugging me to get my own bike to ride with him. Which was not an easy sell to the wife. But in the end the thought of father son bonding won her over!! I think she severely underestimated how addictive dirt bikes can be. Now I ride three days a week. I take my son out once a week, I ride by myself on some really nasty single track and do some adventure riding once a week. Then meet up with a buddy of mine who used to race, yes the cr80 buddy. 

I found a sweet deal on a 2006 ktm 525exc. I know that most will think it was a mistake to buy such an awesome machine to "learn" on. But, the fact of the matter is, I have been having a blast. It has way too much power, but its very predictable power. And lets face it, who doesn't like getting the poo scared out of them once in a while! I also found that a whole lot of my single track mountain biking experience has easily transferred to dirt bikes. 

I was really glad to find this forum a couple months ago. As it has answered a ton of my questions. 

So this evening I figured I had lurked long enough and it was time to introduce myself. 

Hi, my name is Bob and I am addicted to dirt bikes. 

• Like 9

Lol very same situation my bro except I bought my daughter a xr 50 2002 and guess what now I own a 04 crf450 03 yzf250 and 89 cr250, I'd like to introduce myself as well bob,Hello My name is Chris and I'm addicted to dirtbike as well cheers lol

• Like 6

Hi guys/gals,

I am 36 years old and have recently gotten into dirt riding. So far I have been doing mostly single track woods riding with a splash of motocross mixed in. 

My genesis with dirt riding started way back at 13 years old. I bought a much too powerful CR80 off a buddy who raced and was moving up to 125 class. I rode that dirty smoker for years and loved every second of it. 

Then the inevitable happened... I got into high school, got a car, got a job, went to college, got a better job, got a wife, got a couple kids and a mortgage.... Through all this I always rode single track mountain bikes. But, I never thought I would get on a dirt bike again.

Until one fateful day, the day I saw the perfect little crf70f on craigslist and just had to buy it for my nine year old. The old feeling came back with a vengeance. Wasn't long before I was trying to teach him how to wheelie across the back yard :) All to some pretty hilarious results. 

So as you all have probably guessed, he kept bugging me to get my own bike to ride with him. Which was not an easy sell to the wife. But in the end the thought of father son bonding won her over!! I think she severely underestimated how addictive dirt bikes can be. Now I ride three days a week. I take my son out once a week, I ride by myself on some really nasty single track and do some adventure riding once a week. Then meet up with a buddy of mine who used to race, yes the cr80 buddy. 

I found a sweet deal on a 2006 ktm 525exc. I know that most will think it was a mistake to buy such an awesome machine to "learn" on. But, the fact of the matter is, I have been having a blast. It has way too much power, but its very predictable power. And lets face it, who doesn't like getting the poo scared out of them once in a while! I also found that a whole lot of my single track mountain biking experience has easily transferred to dirt bikes. 

I was really glad to find this forum a couple months ago. As it has answered a ton of my questions. 

So this evening I figured I had lurked long enough and it was time to introduce myself. 

Hi, my name is Bob and I am addicted to dirt bikes. 

Hi Bob...

Lol very same situation my bro except I bought my daughter a xr 50 2002 and guess what now I own a 04 crf450 03 yzf250 and 89 cr250, I'd like to introduce myself as well bob,Hello My name is Chris and I'm addicted to dirtbike as well cheers lol

Hi Chris...

• Like 1

Hi Bob...

Hi Chris...

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Haha, ditto. Started last Christmas with an electric Razor dirt bike for my then 9 year old, then a craigslist 10 year old KTM 200 XC-W for me a few months later, then a Honda CRF110F for my boy, and we are off to the races. 43 years old here. Hadn't ridden dirt bikes since I was a teenager, but just like you rode tons of single track MTB in the interim. Here's to never getting old boys.

-Jason

• Like 3

Lol awsome cheers guys keep ridn I'm currently workn on building a snowbike conversion for the snow I will post pics when it's done take care guys

• Like 1

Haha, ditto. Started last Christmas with an electric Razor dirt bike for my then 9 year old, then a craigslist 10 year old KTM 200 XC-W for me a few months later, then a Honda CRF110F for my boy, and we are off to the races. 43 years old here. Hadn't ridden dirt bikes since I was a teenager, but just like you rode tons of single track MTB in the interim. Here's to never getting old boys.

-Jason

How did you find the mountain bike to dirt bike transition. My experience was very straight forward. While I have years of learning to do on the KTM, i find a lot of things like body position and weighting the front vs rear in certain situations have felt very natural. 

Lol awsome cheers guys keep ridn I'm currently workn on building a snowbike conversion for the snow I will post pics when it's done take care guys

Please do!! Those look like a blast!

Been thinking studded tires lately... Winter is coming.

Welcome Bob and Chris. Enjoy the kids while you can. My boy is grown and in Alaska in the Air force. He was my favorite riding buddy. Maybe one day we'll ride again.

• Like 2

How did you find the mountain bike to dirt bike transition. My experience was very straight forward. While I have years of learning to do on the KTM, i find a lot of things like body position and weighting the front vs rear in certain situations have felt very natural.

Absolutely - I think a huge part of mountain biking translates directly. Body position, weighting and deweighting, shifting the weight around as needed without really thinking about it, all of that I think becomes muscle memory on a mountain bike because you control all of it including power. Now I will say that wheelies on a dirt bike are more of a learning curve because you can't just yank the front wheel off the ground like a mountain bike, but it just goes to show how we have to continually learn and push ourselves. Honestly I think that's what keeps us young, the desire to learn and master new skills.

-Jason

Absolutely - I think a huge part of mountain biking translates directly. Body position, weighting and deweighting, shifting the weight around as needed without really thinking about it, all of that I think becomes muscle memory on a mountain bike because you control all of it including power. Now I will say that wheelies on a dirt bike are more of a learning curve because you can't just yank the front wheel off the ground like a mountain bike, but it just goes to show how we have to continually learn and push ourselves. Honestly I think that's what keeps us young, the desire to learn and master new skills.

-Jason

Could'nt agree more. I work in a field that constantly requires training, innovation and learning new equipment / technology. I cant think of a better way to earn a living. Its the same with the types of recreation we choose. 

We have been fortunate enough to not need a second income. So my wife has been able to stay out of work for ten years raising our kids. Through this whole period she threw herself at learning/mastering one skill set after another. Now she is just getting back into the work scene and she couldn't be happier. She loves new challenges. 

Edited by Bobatsea

I love to hear of people coming back to the sport.  I am now 65 and have continuously owned a motorcycle for just over 50 years.   (It was a very moving experience last spring when I had a ceremony commemorating the day,  well,  i was moved.)   

• Like 3

I love to hear of people coming back to the sport.  I am now 65 and have continuously owned a motorcycle for just over 50 years.   (It was a very moving experience last spring when I had a ceremony commemorating the day,  well,  i was moved.)   

Where about in AK? I rode out of Palmer and Kodiak, but that was 30 and more years ago. Still make it up once in a while. Kin in Anchorage, Wasilla, and Aniak.

Welcome aboard Bob.  I wouldn't call a couple of bikes a mid-life crisis.  Otherwise, I'm in a heap of trouble.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Bob.  I wouldn't call a couple of bikes a mid-life crisis.  Otherwise, I'm in a heap of trouble.

Ha, yep not really a crisis. More of an awakening. 

Hi Bob, great story! I can identify. 

I'm 38, 7 year old son has an xr 50, he and my 5 and 3 year old BMX as well. I rode in junior high and like you, sold everything and went to college, got married, started a business, had a couple kids.... now we all ride (wife included). Went riding yesterday with a friend and his son (16) and they all just started a year ago. 

Love seeing people start riding, early or late in life! It's amazing how many of us find our way back to it though... if it's in your blood, it's in your blood. Life circumstances may change, but that desire is always in there somewhere. 

Edited by Kenpo1

I experienced my 2nd mid life crisis at the age of 50 when I got back into dirt biking and finally got my street bike license and my first street bike. I now have 3 motor bikes and only thing holding me back from more is $$$ and a place to keep them all.

Welcome to TT :)