Red NT

ADR wiring diagram (for Aussies)

Most of us X riders have had dramas with the crap Protech wiring loom fitted by Honda here in Australia. I have removed mine and am currently back to the USA spec but am going to make up a new loom by dry season so I can put rego back on the bike. I'm going to use heavy duty 7 core trailer wiring and will post the job here as I do it in case anyone else wants to copy it. For starters here is a copy of the 450X ADR wiring diagram450X ADR multi switch wiring diagram.pdfProtech CRF450X ADR wiring 2006.jpg

• Like 1

Most of us X riders have had dramas with the crap Protech wiring loom fitted by Honda here in Australia. I have removed mine and am currently back to the USA spec but am going to make up a new loom by dry season so I can put rego back on the bike. I'm going to use heavy duty 7 core trailer wiring and will post the job here as I do it in case anyone else wants to copy it. For starters here is a copy of the 450X ADR wiring diagramattachicon.gif450X ADR multi switch wiring diagram.pdfattachicon.gifProtech CRF450X ADR wiring 2006.jpg

Feel like doing another? I have a poxy street bike that needs wiring up. 

Okay finally got back to this. First the disclaimer: This job was a pain in the arse and maybe would be better to fit one of those USA Dual Sport wiring kits!

The way that these bikes are set up is that the headlight runs on AC power from the factory wiring loom, and all the other ADR stuff is piggybacked of the factory (mudguard) taillight wiring which comes from the ICM via a changeover relay (under the seat near battery. Honda Australia calls this the Power Relay. BTW my relay was buggered. Still clicked but no continuity. Got a new one from Repco. Narva P/N 68070BL- $17 AUD).

Anyway have all ADR lights horn etc working again. Here's how I did it.

First removed the ADR wiring loom from the bike. You can't miss it as it looks like it was made by a 5 year old. You will have to cut a Black/Red wire at the front stop light switch and cut a thin blue wire that comes off the ignition key. Unwrap all of the tape off it and you will probably see something like in the photo. Un-insulated crimp connectors that have rubbed through the other wiring or to earth and causing dead shorts. That's why the fuse at the start relay keeps blowing.

20170412_161320.thumb.jpg.2f9d6ea6543a8f10332d58b88be47cad.jpg20170412_161249.jpg.a5591d07cb6974ddb7cb109d8c4eb210.jpg20170412_160454.thumb.jpg.0501588aa107c4dd71a6d09bd19bd74d.jpg

So I laid it all out on the bench and replaced or insulated the dodgy wires. While I was at it I removed the old speedo wiring (I'm using a Trail Tech one) and relocated the horn, flasher can (too hot near cylinder head!) and another little circuit board  to up behind the front number plate  (the little circuit board is called the Ignition Board - it's tiny and wrapped in a bit of heat shrink. Sits under the seat near the power relay.) Finished up with just a power wire plus the taillight wires in the main loom with everything else up front. Heat shrink wrapped the whole thing and put bullet connectors on the end. I piggybacked some terminals at the back to make it easier to wire up the indicators etc (See my taillight wiring diagram) and ran a (engine running) power wire from the power relay to an extra relay under the seat to switch my thermo fan so it won't come on when engine is not running.

20170618_145533.thumb.jpg.bbd2a7f0326dfbca46907d4915122722.jpg20170618_145505.thumb.jpg.313ef1e56c807421172d01346c4aa849.jpg20170626_162931.thumb.jpg.6fe4a95af04b5a1ca118d8137374dff9.jpg20170626_162938.thumb.jpg.16a3c3b0d3a230921ff063ff5f9c5ba2.jpg

I mounted the horn using the old steering damper bolt on the top triple clamps, put the flasher can next to the ignition key and tied up the wiring as best I could behind the number plate.

20170627_143311.thumb.jpg.d03702938c46e798e5d954195a5c6c9d.jpg20170627_143339.thumb.jpg.0fc2a005ba7f1eee2c65840b5e4a92ba.jpg

My ADR flasher can, taillight and handlebar combination switch taillight were stuffed so I got new ones from S3 Performance (Flasher can approx $45 AUD, taillight approx $45 AUD & switch approx $75 AUD. Andrew at S3 is really good to deal with!), only thing was the the CRF switches are no longer available, they have a Suzuki RMX one that is almost the same, just has a different kill switch plug that I had to change over from the old one (see pics). The rear LED indicators I got from MX Store (approx $45 AUD)

20170626_145431.jpg.1ab60b86f4d3f554560c10662b770848.jpg20170626_150857.thumb.jpg.9f5cc142fe6bc196ddb464c7635cb2db.jpg20170626_151410.jpg.dd6e003e7028afef5f58431947818b9b.jpg

All working now and good for roadworthy, PM me if you want any wiring diagrams or anything I have 2006 & 2008 on wiring diagrams plus the tail light one that I drew myself. Helps to get wiring diagram printed on a big size so you can see it!

59532642da9fc_ProtechCRF450XADRwiring2006.jpg.eddb805466fb31bc2cf9adbd23f3bd01.jpg59532647824d1_ProtechCRF450XADRwiring2008CLEAR.jpg.8ef07d18dc0ce1e77b879eb69383746e.jpg5953202b6c9eb_CRF450XTailightpic.png.b173e616b762e8534e678b44186ad744.png

20170412_160454.jpg

• Like 1

Also got a factory speedo here if anyone wants it. PM me and I'll post it to you. Otherwise it will sit in my shed until the End of Time.20170701_095811.jpg

Going through the same issue with wiring. Bough a 2010 450X when I went  to collect it after a 4 hr drive bloke told me the speedo had stopped working.  Was happy with the condition so I bought it. Went through the process of trying to get the speedo working,has power,indicator and high beam but nothing on the screen. when I pulled the headlight,tank and seat off the wiring was a mess. Have pulled it out and fixed the harness but found a broken wire coming out of the main harness for about 50mm then goes back into the harness but cant identify anything that it has been connected to. Seems odd that one wire would come out of the harness and rejoin.Any ideas. Plug is for the speedo

595a1aa51657e_450Xwiring.jpg.22ee343dba0795f000abc92e91c71c45.jpg

Going through the same issue with wiring. Bough a 2010 450X when I went  to collect it after a 4 hr drive bloke told me the speedo had stopped working.  Was happy with the condition so I bought it. Went through the process of trying to get the speedo working,has power,indicator and high beam but nothing on the screen. when I pulled the headlight,tank and seat off the wiring was a mess. Have pulled it out and fixed the harness but found a broken wire coming out of the main harness for about 50mm then goes back into the harness but cant identify anything that it has been connected to. Seems odd that one wire would come out of the harness and rejoin.Any ideas. Plug is for the speedo
595a1aa51657e_450Xwiring.jpg.22ee343dba0795f000abc92e91c71c45.jpg

I'm away from my laptop this week so can't have a proper look at the wiring diagrams but at the back of the loom the brown wire powers the tail light (engine running powered up). Could be that it just got snagged on something and broke. You could just join it back up and try it otherwise I'll email you the diagram next week

Also got a factory speedo here if anyone wants it. PM me and I'll post it to you. Otherwise it will sit in my shed until the End of Time.20170701_095811.jpg.3e27c40344930fa4bc79c31f39ce6056.jpg

& just had a taker for this speedo so it's gone.....

In one of the photos you have posted of the harness you have laid out the indicators etc, there is a small circuit board that has black shrink wrap on it, Ignition board?. This from what i can work out sends power to the speedo display. Blue wire power into the board but nothing out. When I run a jumper wire and probe the black wire my speedo screen functions. Is this a voltage reducer, does it need to be there or can I run a low amp fuse and remove it. Once I get the speedo sorted I can get the bike back a RWC  on the road

To be honest Trackhazzard I am not sure if this is a voltage reducer or what it is for. I'm waiting on a new radiator then will fire the bike up and check the voltage readings at that ignition board plug and post them here.

Sent from my SM-G900I using ThumperTalk mobile app

Okay here's what i got:

Green = earth

Blue = Key on 12v/engine running 13v

Black = engine running 13v

Red = key on 5.8v/engine running 2.7v.

The black wire is powered from the power relay which is under the seat. Does your taillight /horn/indicators work as they are powered off the same circuit. If these things don't work relat could be stuffed.
Can you get a 12/13v voltage reading at the black wire with engine running? If not could be broken wire. Check for continuity with terminal 87 on power relay.

Could be that your ignition board is okay just not getting powered up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

Been away with work. getting power into the board but nothing coming back out. Ordered a new board which i will fit on Friday. Thanks for the info

Dave

Hi Red NT,

Looks like a lot of hard work and effort has gone into this.

I also have a 2006 bike, I keep blowing fuses and the wiring is a mess. The speedo has also just stopped working so I am going to go thru and have a good look at all wiring as there must be an earth or something that continues to blow the fuse.

Are you able to send me a copy of the wiring diagram?

Thanks,
Rod

Hi Red NT,
Looks like a lot of hard work and effort has gone into this.
I also have a 2006 bike, I keep blowing fuses and the wiring is a mess. The speedo has also just stopped working so I am going to go thru and have a good look at all wiring as there must be an earth or something that continues to blow the fuse.

Are you able to send me a copy of the wiring diagram?
Thanks,
Rod
You will have a bare wire earthing out in the loom for sure. PM me your email address and I will send diagram. Mine all good now I just put all the lights back on for dry season rego and no problems.

Thanks Red NT. You gave me the heads up a while ago and I disconnected the blinkers and tail light like you said, I still couldn't find it and persevered with riding.

As mentioned, it is still doing it so the wiring diagram will be a massive help. I will then be able to trace is all the way thru. I will PM you my email address

Thanks,

Rod

Hi mate . 

Any chance youd have a image of where to find the speedo wiring connector for speedo sensor at all?  I have a 07 450x that everything bar the speedo works

Im trying to get it sorted but having no luck ..  i cant find where the sensor should go or even a plug for it at all! 

Hi mate . 
Any chance youd have a image of where to find the speedo wiring connector for speedo sensor at all?  I have a 07 450x that everything bar the speedo works
 Im trying to get it sorted but having no luck ..  i cant find where the sensor should go or even a plug for it at all! 
The stock speedo runs off the back wheel and the wiring runs up the right hand side. The plug is a flat 3 pin type same as the headlight plug and plugs to the main loom up under the tank somewhere. I can send you a wiring diagram if you PM me your email address but recommend ditching the stock speedo and fitiing a Trail Tech one. They run off front wheel so more accurate mileage

Hi red nt,I know it is a old post,but I am buying a 450x this year and wouldn’t mind a copy of the diagram if possible,thanks

PM your email address mate

Hi red nt,I know it is a old post,but I am buying a 450x this year and wouldn’t mind a copy of the diagram if possible,thanks