Ideas for your discarded Mikuni TMX (OEM Honda)

Hmmm, looks like something after some backyard beer inspired mods. If those missing pieces got thru the reeds some real damage would occur.

6 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Hmmm, looks like something after some backyard beer inspired mods. If those missing pieces got thru the reeds some real damage would occur.

We've had that bike for over 10 years now, that slide died of natural causes.  I expected damage as well, not sure what sized chunks it disintegrated in to as they passed through.  I guess Murphy doesn't always come knocking.

Of course a few years later on this same bike a piece of string from a hay bale got caught up in the front sprocket, worked its way in through the seal, wiped the CS bearing out and busted the cases beyond reasonable repair so he's always around the corner.

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen on my CR125 2004 the Mikuni carb slide cracked off both corners and got sucked into the engine. The bike was about 100 hours old at the time. I replaced the slide and within 7 hours it had a hairline crack in it again so I switched to the Keihin PWK Airstriker setup with JD Jets. It seems like the Mikuni slide would hit on the end of the slide rather than hit the little stopper tab and eventually crack.

• Like 1

this topic seems to be overly dramaticized (is that a word?)

I had the honda with that carb, I did not discard it...just jetted it.  I had to replace the needle jet, I could have whined that "it wasn't fair" Honda should have sorted it but instead I spent maybe $20 and all was well.

Now I have a '17 KTM, I have managed to get it to run quite well with the supplied jets and adjusting the float.  This isn't just me, many others have ridden the bike and commented how it runs great.  The "ready to race" thing is marketing, that's fine but I don't have a sense of entitlement that these bikes should come jetted out of the crate.  Every new bike I have purchased has needed tweaking, some more than others.  I think or it as paying for the technology and manufacturing of a great bike, not having someone tweak the jets or suspension clickers or anything else to suit my situation (I can do that part).

There are a few items on the bike that are disappointing, sure.  but this is the case on any bike I have purchased.

If the performance of it was just "average" I would probably feel differently but this thing rocks.  Just the counterbalancer alone is significant, everything else 2 stroke I ride has noticeable vibration in comparison.  Feels super light, electric start, air forks work great, amazing engine, brakes, the whole package.

Some of the guys commenting on things have never even ridden a 17 KTM.

2 minutes ago, motometal said:

I had the honda with that carb, I did not discard it...just jetted it.  I had to replace the needle jet, I could have whined that "it wasn't fair" Honda should have sorted it but instead I spent maybe $20 and all was well.

Now I have a '17 KTM, I have managed to get it to run quite well with the supplied jets and adjusting the float.  This isn't just me, many others have ridden the bike and commented how it runs great.  The "ready to race" thing is marketing, that's fine but I don't have a sense of entitlement that these bikes should come jetted out of the crate.  Every new bike I have purchased has needed tweaking, some more than others.  I think or it as paying for the technology and manufacturing of a great bike, not having someone tweak the jets or suspension clickers or anything else to suit my situation (I can do that part).

There are a few items on the bike that are disappointing, sure.  but this is the case on any bike I have purchased.

If the performance of it was just "average" I would probably feel differently but this thing rocks.  Just the counterbalancer alone is significant, everything else 2 stroke I ride has noticeable vibration in comparison.  Feels super light, electric start, air forks work great, amazing engine, brakes, the whole package.

Sounds like you're enjoying that Koolaid. Ignore the political message of this cartoon, just think of it as someone who has tried a KTM.

junky-sam.jpg

• Like 1

I'm certainly not in the camp saying KTM is the best and all others suck.  I'm really not a brand oriented/fanboy type person.  I judge each brand on it's own merits.  No stickers on the back window of my truck.  I've had about every common brand there is, and each have had their positives and negatives.  The 250 and 300 KTM two stokes are great bikes, plain and simple, performance and feature wise.

Since they are all junk, send them to me.

The TMX Mikuni works good when jetted.  I'm probably a handful of riders that went back to it from a Keihin PWK on a 3rd gen AF CR250r.

I've ridden the new KTM's & wasn't impressed.  The only thing I felt was better were the brakes.   I would't feel at a disadvantage if I lined up against them in a race with my old trusty 03 CR250r. 

The CR is a great bike but it's 14 years old.  Fits like a glove.  Feels natural.  But technology has moved on, in many ways.  The 300 has boat loads more low end than the CR, and revs almost as high (the CR was never known as much of a revver compared to some others.  Anyway, for MX the low end is nice but not as big of a deal.  For woods, it's night and day different!  There are a few simple tweaks that make these KTMs really come alive, maybe the one you rode wasn't set up right.  But I'm really surprised you didn't notice the low end?  When I ride a 250mx bike agressively in the woods, I'm either doing a lot of waiting for the power to kick in, or clutching alot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, motometal said:

The CR is a great bike but it's 14 years old.  Fits like a glove.  Feels natural.  But technology has moved on, in many ways.  

You would think the 17 KTM or Husky 2T's would be superior since they have had about 15 yrs. of technology ahead of the CR's.  In my experience I didn't feel that was the case & seem to be over hyped.  I've owned the other 4 major brands (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki & Yamaha) & if the new 17 orange / white KTM models were $8,500 better than my 03 CR2 believe me I'd have one in the stable.    

On 8/3/2017 at 7:01 AM, motometal said:

This is directed at me. That's fine. 

I have ridden the 2017 KTM 250 XCW and a 2017 Beta 250RR. The KTM is ok. The Beta is fantastic. The KTM did not handle as well as the Beta or my old 2002 CR250. 

Again, I made the comment about how "awful" the Mikuni TMX is given it was selected by KTM. What I was trying to say was that this item works fine once adjusted and that because KTM chose it one would think the TMX critics might re-evaluate their opposition to it. 

• Like 1

I own both a 17' KTM 300xc and an 07' cr250 along with an 07' Rm 250. I race either xc or the cr almost every weekend offroad.  I have the KTM, IMO, dialed as far as the suspension and the Mikuni jetting goes. The Cr is also dialed in, as expected. I like both bikes, but my race results are consistently better on the cr. By no means is anyone, below the pro level at a disadvantage, IMO on the cr platform. It's every bit as good as the current gen KTM's as far as tuned suspension and chassis geometry go. I still the prefer the  handling of the cr over  the KTM. The cr just has better front end traction along with being more stable. I do like the KTM engines smooth lowend grunt and e-start, but it's not translating into better results for me.

Edited by rtv
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Some mention "newer technology, what are you talking about? I don't see it.

You can also look at it as 15 yrs. of advancement in engineering over the 02 CR250r for example WP AER 48 air forks, latest R&D research in frame geometry for better handling & cornering, powervalve adjustment to alter the powerband to suit the riders skill level - experience or tailor it to a certain track / terrain etc...   

Edited by H4L

Technology is making the 300 a pound or two lighter than the cr, while having a larger fuel tank, counter balancer, kickstand, electric start, a 6th gear, and an 18" rear.

It shows that it's taken KTM / Husky 15 yrs. to catch up to the latest advancement that Honda left off with on the last version of the CR250 which was in 2002.  The CR did have some refinements from 03-05, but nothing major as Honda stayed with the same base format of the model.  

Edited by H4L

I'll give a :thumbsup: to the PV adjustment feature, nothing else mentioned is an advancement in my eyes. I keep riding my friends new bikes and other than my crappy "guru" susp performance I see nothing better. I am buying a new 4stk just to try one but there is no 2stk I have any interest in.

Edited by YHGEORGE