How many times at a track till u get good?

I usually ride at a dirt track called burnt river. It's got mostly tables, a couple of doubles too. Doubles usually annoy me. Sometimes I rocket completely over them by too much speed and have a near dirt sample. Other times I'll undershoot it and I'll have to throw a seat bounce in midair to make sure I don't flip frontwards. I know full body positions for the track, sitting level and when to stand and how to keep the bike right, that's not the hard part for me. Neither is cornering.

The issue is getting the right speed to land nicely. Tables I usually get 3/4 of the top. There's some jumps that are smaller which I have no issue with. But I feel like a goon when I only get a little over a metre of air when I see younger guys nearly clearing the table. Again it's only like my 5th time at a track.

I've also had bad experiences at called Gopher Dunes. It's a sand track and the hardest one in Ontario. I would pin it in 4th gear all the way around and I overshot this tall hill and I reached a good height so I was feeling good. Next table top I tried had tons of ruts and I guess I didn't choose the right one because when I came down I came down hard. It was like 30° ( Really hot Fahrenheit) and I had to walk my bike off with a snapped front fender.

If your pretty good everywhere else around the track and confident in your riding, but are just having trouble gauging speed for jumps there's some things you can do to help. When going to a new track I'll always do some slow sighting laps so I know what I'll be working with. Do a warm up at your own pace after that until you start getting comfortable with the soil and track layout. After that, take a break and watch everyone else riding. Look for someone that is hitting everything smoothly that's about the same skill level as you and hop on the track and do some laps following them. You can use them to gauge your speed for everything until you no longer need to pace someone for speed. Many guys at the track won't mind helping you out with pace if you just ask. If your not sure on how fast to go and your dealing with doubles or triples you should never just guess. Slow progression is better than no progression, any day of the week.

If your pretty good everywhere else around the track and confident in your riding, but are just having trouble gauging speed for jumps there's some things you can do to help. When going to a new track I'll always do some slow sighting laps so I know what I'll be working with. Do a warm up at your own pace after that until you start getting comfortable with the soil and track layout. After that, take a break and watch everyone else riding. Look for someone that is hitting everything smoothly that's about the same skill level as you and hop on the track and do some laps following them. You can use them to gauge your speed for everything until you no longer need to pace someone for speed. Many guys at the track won't mind helping you out with pace if you just ask. If your not sure on how fast to go and your dealing with doubles or triples you should never just guess. Slow progression is better than no progression, any day of the week.

yeah that's what I mean because I've only been to a couple and the most recent one I've been to is my favourite because it's not sand lol and is easier for me. I've only been to it once and for like 3 1/2 hrs there. I wasn't doing badly because I got comfortable quickly.

I don't care how much balls or talent you have (yea, they help) but some things just take time. MX is a very difficult and complex endeavor. Work, work, work. Press a little. Back off a little. Be patient.

One or two close calls a session is enough for me. As long as I'm better than last time out I know I'm getting somewhere.

• Like 2

I don't care how much balls or talent you have (yea, they help) but some things just take time. MX is a very difficult and complex endeavor. Work, work, work. Press a little. Back off a little. Be patient.

One or two close calls a session is enough for me. As long as I'm better than last time out I know I'm getting somewhere.

This is exactly how I progress as well. when I leave the track there's usaully something that bothers me that I'm doing wrong or not doing as well as I should. I always plan to work on that section or technique next time I'm out (I ride once a week if the tracks open). Next weekened that's my main focus, and if I do better than the week before I'm always happy, progression is fun and rewarding.....but it's not given, it's earned.

This is exactly how I progress as well. when I leave the track there's usaully something that bothers me that I'm doing wrong or not doing as well as I should. I always plan to work on that section or technique next time I'm out (I ride once a week if the tracks open). Next weekened that's my main focus, and if I do better than the week before I'm always happy, progression is fun and rewarding.....but it's not given, it's earned.

yeah I got the same feeling. Like when you leave you feel let down by how u did. I get that. Then I look at the gopro and see that hey, you cleared that jump, you'll get the other one next time. I've gone over some GoPro footage because of what this thread was all about and I'm starting to know worry about this all that much.

I mean I'm 16, strong, I do stupid ballsy things I don't have much money right now and I got some time

So yeah aha

I'm assuming you have a smart phone? Load an app like Mapmyride or Strava. You can track your improvement. Work over and over on the basics of cornering and braking. The more you ride a certain track, the more confident you will become and soon that confidence Will transfer to other tracks.

I'm assuming you have a smart phone? Load an app like Mapmyride or Strava. You can track your improvement. Work over and over on the basics of cornering and braking. The more you ride a certain track, the more confident you will become and soon that confidence Will transfer to other tracks.

great! I'll take a look at those apps quick. My New Years res is to get out to more tracks. Last year I might've done 11 tracks? There was a lot of heat last yr [emoji51]
  • Like 1

Pretty much everything that has been said. I'm 29, been riding since I was 4, but only got into MX about 6 months ago. I remember my first trip at the track I never even thought I'd clear a 30 foot table top or even hit 5th gear on a long straight, but I progressed way quicker and much more than I'd have ever thought I would. I've been trying to go 1-2 times a week, every other week, whatever I can make work.

I'm with gatorfan on keeping up or catching up in corners, there's some guys who clear just about every jump but don't have the corner speed or confidence when there's lots of traffic around them and they're forced to hold their line. It's motivating to catch/beat comparable riders through corners or to try and keep up/hold off a fast guy for a corner or two in a tight section of the track.

There's just too, too many things that are constantly going through your mind (at least mine) as a novice track rider. BREATH, knees tight and pin it, don't look at that rut, drag the rear brake through the corner and set yourself up to triple that step on-off. Breath. Breath. Knees tight! Shift! Elbows up! Weight that outside peg! I'm constantly telling myself to remember all these little things.

Just push yourself as much as you can without feeling too uncomfortable. And just gauge yourself against comparable riders and keep pushing to be faster than them. Most days I'm all smiles when I leave the track, even if it's just baby steps every trip.

• Like 1

Chase the fast guys and watch what they're doing.  They're fast because they're doing things right.

Focus on technique and being smooth, rather than just "being fast".  Think one or two steps ahead.

Also helps to find a mentor/coach, someone who can see the little things you're doing and communicate to you how to fix those little things. 

There's good riders, there's good teachers, but good riders who can teach well are few and far between.  Those are the people you want to find.  They'll push you to take that next step, without pushing you so far out of your comfort zone you lose confidence.

i-7Mvw6Cc-L.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty much everything that has been said. I'm 29, been riding since I was 4, but only got into MX about 6 months ago. I remember my first trip at the track I never even thought I'd clear a 30 foot table top or even hit 5th gear on a long straight, but I progressed way quicker and much more than I'd have ever thought I would. I've been trying to go 1-2 times a week, every other week, whatever I can make work.

I'm with gatorfan on keeping up or catching up in corners, there's some guys who clear just about every jump but don't have the corner speed or confidence when there's lots of traffic around them and they're forced to hold their line. It's motivating to catch/beat comparable riders through corners or to try and keep up/hold off a fast guy for a corner or two in a tight section of the track.

There's just too, too many things that are constantly going through your mind (at least mine) as a novice track rider. BREATH, knees tight and pin it, don't look at that rut, drag the rear brake through the corner and set yourself up to triple that step on-off. Breath. Breath. Knees tight! Shift! Elbows up! Weight that outside peg! I'm constantly telling myself to remember all these little things.

Just push yourself as much as you can without feeling too uncomfortable. And just gauge yourself against comparable riders and keep pushing to be faster than them. Most days I'm all smiles when I leave the track, even if it's just baby steps every trip.

yeah a lot of things going through my mind too. Speed is a big one and so is position on the bike itself. I'm also cautious to try and not dump the bike it's my garage queen lolIMG_1482927708.310220.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On December 28, 2016 at 0:56 AM, Dolamite said:

I completely get this ... but ... try taking a few laps towards the end of the day with your mind completely cleared of everything but your line. Point and shoot.  Eventually this is where all great athletic moves end up , with your subconscious in the drivers seat.