Possibly my first KTM

I am looking to buy a 2 stroke and based on my best efforts of filtering information available on the forums and on line reviews, and magazines I hope to pick up a 2009 250 SX that I found listed.  If it shows as good as its advertised, I will bring it home.

I currently ride a YZ250F and love the bike, I am not a racer and don't ride on tracks, just woods mostly.  I am not hard core by any means but riding is my favourite hobby.  I am middle aged and not new to riding, just got into it latter in life and enjoy every minute I get to ride. I want to try a 2 stroke and see if its a type of riding that I will enjoy, I have had two stroke toys (not a dirt bike though) in the past and I think they are a blast.

I was really looking for a YZ250 but there really are not a lot of them available and I came across this 250 SX that looks like its new, about 70 hours and for sale by the original owner who upgraded to a new 250 SX. This is what got me interested in looking further into a possible gem.

I can't really detriment (from all the opinions) if the YZ or SX is better over all so I will see for myself, I have always admired the KTM's and really and looking forward to closing the deal. 

Its winter here, so I won't be able to test drive, just start it up and give it a good look over. Anything that I should look for or ask about?

Edited by fire22

Just play riding in the woods? You need a 300 xc-w it's the perfect bike for that.

• Like 2

Either the YZ or the SX will be a good bike but coming off a 250f the two strokes hard hitting powerboat can be a handful in the tight woods. Not to mention suspension harshness. Plan on a revalve on either one. Fortunately both are tunable to remove a lot of the bark or bite and can be a lot of fun. Good luck.

Edited by motocrotts
  • Like 1

You'd be happier with a exc or xc. Or be prepared to set up the sx for off road. Fww revalved suspension just to start with.it's winter I'd hold out for a 200/250/300. Unless you plan on converting an sx or yz. I converted an mx bike, it is fun to personalize and set up how ya want. That being said I'd hate to ride it stock in the woods.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, defiantly planned to re-valve, I am 185 lbs and 5-9 (maybe the guy selling is the same size lol).  I enjoy wrenching and look forward to setting it up for the trails.

• Like 1

for woods riding jetting is the key ( this doesn't mean open the ktm manual and jet from the chart )

mx bikes can be made to work well in the woods 

sure fire mods are :

jetting ( ditch the ktm needle all together imo and run a suzuki needle 

head mods to make jetting easier and cleaner ( not necessary at first )

gnarly or equivalent low to mid pipe ( standard exc/xc pipe would work )

flywheel weight 

at 185 lbs the suspension might work for you just fine with lighter fork oil and lower level of fluid and also some compression and rebound wound out 

• Like 1

I am looking to buy a 2 stroke and based on my best efforts of filtering information available on the forums and on line reviews, and magazines I hope to pick up a 2009 250 SX that I found listed.  If it shows as good as its advertised, I will bring it home.

I currently ride a YZ250F and love the bike, I am not a racer and don't ride on tracks, just woods mostly.  I am not hard core by any means but riding is my favourite hobby.  I am middle aged and not new to riding, just got into it latter in life and enjoy every minute I get to ride. I want to try a 2 stroke and see if its a type of riding that I will enjoy, I have had two stroke toys (not a dirt bike though) in the past and I think they are a blast.

I was really looking for a YZ250 but there really are not a lot of them available and I came across this 250 SX that looks like its new, about 70 hours and for sale by the original owner who upgraded to a new 250 SX. This is what got me interested in looking further into a possible gem.

I can't really detriment (from all the opinions) if the YZ or SX is better over all so I will see for myself, I have always admired the KTM's and really and looking forward to closing the deal. 

Its winter here, so I won't be able to test drive, just start it up and give it a good look over. Anything that I should look for or ask about?

Never EVER buy a bike with out at least test riding it. I have seen friends do that and almost all of them have gotten screwed.

What is your reasoning for wanting a track MX bike instead of a full on woods bike? 

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe
  • Like 1

Yeah I agree from what I know if you ride woods mostly you would be much better off buying an xc or exc or xc-w. They are all set up for woods riding. Maybe an XC for you if you like to do the track. Supposed to be a little more racey. Not that you couldn't buy the SX but you would need to invest a bunch of time and money into converting it and may still not get as good a bike as if you had originally bought a more woods bike. 

• Like 1

I lived in Manitoba for a short time and think the SX would make a fine bush bike out there. It's not like there are many hills.:)

You really should be looking for a 250xcw. Someone who isn't hardcore about riding and new to a two stroke from a 250f, you're going to have your hands full. Plus the xcw is better for what you are doing any way. As for 250sx vs yz 250, theoretically if they are both 09's I'd take the yz any day of the week

• Like 1

I'd go with the YZ unless the KTM is a 2011 SX/XC+ or 2012 XCW+. What is the price in this 09 250SX?

whats wrong with the pre 2011  ?

im assuming suspension ?

I appreciate the information, prior to posting, I was aware that the XC would be better suited than the SX.  It seems to me that the general opinion is that the XC would be VERY munch better than the SX, why is the SX so poorly suited for the woods?

The SX I am describing is listed for $3K usd

I'd go with the YZ unless the KTM is a 2011 SX/XC+ or 2012 XCW+. What is the price in this 09 250SX?

I would have to agree. I never liked the chassi/suspension on the pre 2011 bikes.if you are looking for something a little older I would go with the yz. Even with the new bikes I still prefer the motor on the yz to any of the new KTM 250s.

If you want a Ktm go with the xcw the motor is great for normal trail riding.

• Like 2

I appreciate the information, prior to posting, I was aware that the XC would be better suited than the SX. It seems to me that the general opinion is that the XC would be VERY munch better than the SX, why is the SX so poorly suited for the woods?

The SX I am describing is listed for $3K usd

3K is way too much for that bike. There's no way you cant find a 2006+ YZ in good shape for that price or very close. You can probably find a 11/12+ KTM for around 3500.
  • Like 1

The SX doesn't have stuff that I think IMHO you need on a woods bike. MX wants lots of high end power, technical woods stuff needs low end torque. But at least here in PA, you have to have a bunch of stuff to protect the bike: bash plate, wrap-arround brush guards, and an expansion chamber guard. Most folks go farther, with radiator guards, front disk guard and rear disk fin.  

While the XCW/EXC have linkage free rear suspension, if you have linkage, you need a guard for that as well.Its easy to spend $1000 on protective gear for the bike. I agree with others, $3K feels high for a SX that old.

• Like 1

Just to add a few things. Mx bikes are purposly built to fly around a track. For trail and especially tight technical stuff, they are difficult to ride at low speeds... They will want to stall and will require alot of clutch use to keep them going. Modifications can help reduce this but will cost $$. They have small gas tanks which obviously limit how far you can explore trails. They have a 19" rear wheel. 18" is the norm for offroad riding, more tire gives better traction and obsorbs bumps better. Guys modify mx bikes all the time to suit woods riding, but i think if your main purpise is trail riding and your looking to buy a bike, there are plenty of offroad suited options. As guys mentioned the SX is track purpose, the XC is setup for offroad use with capability of track use as well, XCW is offroad specific. But lots of guys who ride offroad only still prefer the XC over the XCW. Check out on facebook KTM/Husky/Berg Swap Meet USA.

Edited by epicadventur
  • Like 3

Thanks, saw that one.  I would go at least a year newer (2006 and up) to have the new SSS front forks. 

I will likely hold off on this SX and see what else comes up. 

For the guys that think $3K US is way too high, around here the KTM and Husky's sell at a premium both privately and at the dealers.  A 2017 YZ250X is selling for between $7500 and $7900 Canadian plus 13% tax, a 2017 Husky TE 250 sells for $9999 Canadian plus 13% tax ( I assume the KTM version is close to the same price as the Husky).  Used tends to carry the similar gap of 20% higher cost for KTM and Husky around this region.  Additionally, dealers tell me that 2 stroke bikes are less than 10% of new sales and browsing used across Canada, less than 10% advertised bikes are decent newer 2 strokes.

What appealed to me about the SX I described, its a one owner bike, pictures make it look brand new, even the plastic, so I figured it might be a gem in terms of a used bike.

I think I learnt a good deal of information from this post based on input form owners - Thanks for the help.