2017 exc-f traction control/map switch

Yes they do to my surprise, and this is the first year they get the sensor. They didn't have it in previous years.  They get a CAT too

Interesting, some if not all, Euro countries ran it from 2012. Cat converter would REALLY suck. 

No it isn't but .65 is too much to advance the TPS anyway, it will be too rich unless you've made other mods. Around .635 to .640 usually is around dead on with stock exhaust. 

Actually the extreme abruptness, especially on the '12s, was too lean on tip off plus a bit too much advance.

Yeah Im assuming that the bike is being modified and opened up at the same time, I didn't find .64 offered enough for any modifications other than maybe stock . Pipe desreened and desmogged, I still had surging at various throttle positions and pure ghost white plugs, even with 50% leaded race fuel, That plug should have colored some with that fuel, the fact it didn't showed how lean it stiill was.

Im actually running a .635 tps right now in addition to full scale fuel adjustments.

There's a bundle of wiring wrapped in black tape....maybe it's hiding in there. I don't care about traction control and I guess I'll just head out on a road trip someday looking for the one perfect map. It's kinda funny when I picked up my bike the finance manager sounded pissed off enough to change his mind on the 6-days 450 when he found out recently it won't have a switch. The 6-days are looking a little expensive without the promised features. I do wish I had orange triple clamps though!!

yea I bought one with out traction control and the turn signal switch is different then advertised also didn't come with the 52 tooth sprocket and not that it matters but the six days logo on the silencer

IMG_1484486726.717981.jpgIMG_1484486742.151727.jpgIMG_1484486756.919813.jpg

Does anyone know what happens when the O2 sensor on a European or Australian EXC-F is unplugged and run?  Like if you were out riding and broke the lead to it.  Of course it will throw a code and flash the light, but how will it run?  When the ECU doesn't see any reading from the sensor, how does the ECU respond and what would the bike run like?

Another similar question:  If you unplugged the sensor and inserted a device that mimicked the value of a "certain" AF ratio at all times, a "dummy" load, how would this affect real world operation and running of the engine under various conditions?

Edited by GripTwister

Does anyone know what happens when the O2 sensor on a European or Australian EXC-F is unplugged and run?  Like if you were out riding and broke the lead to it.  Of course it will throw a code and flash the light, but how will it run?  When the ECU doesn't see any reading from the sensor, how does the ECU respond and what would the bike run like?

Another similar question:  If you unplugged the sensor and inserted a device that mimicked the value of a "certain" AF ratio at all times, a "dummy" load, how would this affect real world operation and running of the engine under various conditions?

Interesting question  as I found when I removed the vapor valve on my 350EXC  I received a 5 long 3 short error code that the OBD reported to the ECU. I imagine an error code is reported and logged but  I doubt it would effect the operation of the bike. In the CARB state we won't pass inspection on cars with an error present but we don't inspect bikes yet. The little engine symbol stays on but the bike runs the same. I think I'll ignore it and if it bothers me after dark when I might notice it I'll do what I've done many times building jeeps and changing diffs getting the ABS light on......Black electrical tape. A dummy load sounds like an interesting option for the hell of it.  

I found that there are O2 "simulators" that are even adjustable for under $80.  They stop the CE light and the "limp" mode that some ECUs engage if it finds a fault or no sensor.  I would assume that the bike would still run relatively well under most conditions with one of these connected, but probably isn't legal and probably wouldn't meet exhaust emissions with such a device plugged in.  However, I'm not certain that some running issues wouldn't creep up.

I got my 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F on December 28th and was disappointed when I started reading how the dual map and traction control features were not available on the US bikes. I couldn't understand how the webpage was promoting it even though it was becoming clear that it wasn't available and probably never will be.

I recently went back and checked the web page again and it seems that KTM finally changed the US web page. A week or two ago, the US and AU pages were identical, so I saved a copy of the US page. I know it's the US page because the links are US links (not AU).

I checked back again because I read that the final drive was 14/50 yet my bike came with a 45 tooth sprocket. This was also changed on the US page. Perhaps it was an error in the first place and they just loaded the wrong file on the US page, or maybe they changed it when they realized they would not pass the EPA, or CARB requirements with the dual ma and larger sprocket.

I had heard anecdotally from 2 different KTM dealers that here were issues getting emissions approval for the 2017 500 EXC-F, so I'm inclined to believe that this was a late change.

There are 2 unused connectors under my seat and a 3rd with some jumper wires in it. I believe one of the two empty connectors is for the KTM diagnostic tool. The other has a seal over it and is only 2 leads.

Anyway, I'm betting/hoping someone will figure this out.

Engine Management Comparison US to AU.png

Three Connectors.jpg

Two wire connector.jpg

I got my 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F on December 28th and was disappointed when I started reading how the dual map and traction control features were not available on the US bikes. I couldn't understand how the webpage was promoting it even though it was becoming clear that it wasn't available and probably never will be.

I recently went back and checked the web page again and it seems that KTM finally changed the US web page. A week or two ago, the US and AU pages were identical, so I saved a copy of the US page. I know it's the US page because the links are US links (not AU).

I checked back again because I read that the final drive was 14/50 yet my bike came with a 45 tooth sprocket. This was also changed on the US page. Perhaps it was an error in the first place and they just loaded the wrong file on the US page, or maybe they changed it when they realized they would not pass the EPA, or CARB requirements with the dual ma and larger sprocket.

I had heard anecdotally from 2 different KTM dealers that here were issues getting emissions approval for the 2017 500 EXC-F, so I'm inclined to believe that this was a late change.

There are 2 unused connectors under my seat and a 3rd with some jumper wires in it. I believe one of the two empty connectors is for the KTM diagnostic tool. The other has a seal over it and is only 2 leads.

Anyway, I'm betting/hoping someone will figure this out.

if you go on ktm web page you can change us model , international model or any country you desire on top right page . then go on the performance catalog you can see the switch . it a 3 wire switch and the wire is not long so plug in must be behind head light . 

like i said before , my canadien dealer email ktm with switch part # that i fond in international catalog and ktm respond to my dealer that mid February switch will be available here . is it BS or not ? but i am sure  my dealer did not BS me . he is one only person owing is shop , very strait forward guy . he even invited us to go ride single track with him .  

nice post by the way for first post rjm 60 .  welcome  :thumbsup:

Edited by cisco 1

How many bike do ktm make with map switch that meet the epa? Ktm 690, adventure, adventure r, super adventure, super duke, super duke gt. Why can't they figure it out with the exc range...

Interesting, some if not all, Euro countries ran it from 2012. Cat converter would REALLY suck. 

As it turns out Austrailia didn't get the cat and 02, some of their dealers also had the Eu bike listed in the fische, I Heard from a Australia rider , their bikes are still catless and 02 less .

if you go on ktm web page you can change us model , international model or any country you desire on top right page . then go on the performance catalog you can see the switch . it a 3 wire switch and the wire is not long so plug in must be behind head light . 

like i said before , my canadien dealer email ktm with switch part # that i fond in international catalog and ktm respond to my dealer that mid February switch will be available here . is it BS or not ? but i am sure  my dealer did not BS me . he is one only person owing is shop , very strait forward guy . he even invited us to go ride single track with him .  

nice post by the way for first post rjm 60 .  welcome  :thumbsup:

I have these 3 wires behind my headlight mask. As you can see 2 of them are heatshrunk with glue to seal them or make them unusable bet that have connectors on them. Could these be the map switch wires? I have the 17 450 six days.

Here is the picture

IMG_5187.JPG

Here is the picture

color seam like that . it not very clear on power parts offroad catalog from international ktm . 

I'm also disappointed about the turn signal switch. Not the same as advertised. European bikes got the switch. WTF I paid extra for the six days to get the some of the goodies. But nope and no discounts

I'm also disappointed about the turn signal switch. Not the same as advertised. European bikes got the switch. WTF I paid extra for the six days to get the some of the goodies. But nope and no discounts

i think the signal light switch picture was from the exc-f with no signal  . the round switch is the high / low for head light . i notice that by looking at a new 300 6 day at my dealer .  i was impress also by the new switch but disappointed wen i did see it was not flasher switch .

but for the 6 day option , yes that TC  switch was parts of the package and ktm and husky did false advertisement about it . i feel your pain , frustrating .  

I hope my dealer will install the map switch traction control. It's specified in the contract that the bike will be delivered with map switch/traction control.

like i said before , my canadien dealer email ktm with switch part # that i fond in international catalog and ktm respond to my dealer that mid February switch will be available here . is it BS or not ? but i am sure my dealer did not BS me . he is one only person owing is shop , very strait forward guy . he even invited us to go ride single track with him .

nice post by the way for first post rjm 60 . welcome :thumbsup:

my dealer also told me two months for the switch so I found one on eBay Australia for cheaper do to exchange rate.two days later my parts guy said his rep informed him that the switch would not work with the exc models.only works on xcf models.since ktm does not offer the 500 xcf in U.S. you don't have option of switching to xfc ecu.definitely feel cheated by ktm and am sure my dealer here in Petaluma knew before hand.don't have much hope for aftermarket solutions since communist California makes it hard to ship anything that's not C.A.R.B compliant.these are definitely first world problems and from the few hours I have ridden the bike it does rip, is more flickable and although it is under sprung for my weight the suspension felt great.

Here is the picture

I have these 3 wires behind my headlight mask. As you can see 2 of them are heatshrunk with glue to seal them or make them unusable bet that have connectors on them. Could these be the map switch wires? I have the 17 450 six days.

Those are blinker (turn signal) wires.  That's how KTM spliced in the turn signal indicator light on the dash.  Not sure what the single wire connection is.