Information on Pitster Pro LXR250

I know there is another thread not far down the page on this bike but it doesnt give off much information. Stumbled across this bike and I was curious about.... alot.

It looks like its directly compared to a WR250R. From the suspension, EFI, 6 speeds, power output, liquid cooling etc. What I want to know is how will it be maintenance wise? Will valves need to get X amount of hours like a track bike or will they be similar to 20k + miles the WR needs? Even if the valves are good for a while, how well does the engine lube with not being up and down in the revs? You know extended periods at the same speed? 

I am looking for a little putt putt bike and I was going to buy a used XT225. Been through alot of bikes but I dont need much anymore just a little go getter to get me to work year round. Even though I can get a used Jap bike for the same price I dont want one with a carb And for the 2500 to 3k I want it wont buy me a new enough fuel injected bike anyways.

This looks like a great bike for 3k right now on sale on their website, I get 6 speeds, liquid cooling and EFI. I just want to know how reliable it might be for on road use and what the maintenance schedules might be. Anyone have any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought one during the black friday super sale.  Took quite a bit to get it assembled, adjusted, etc.  I now have "two" 2 hour hard rides on it.  (Desert trails and some little mountain hill climbs with rough choppy rocks).  Let me know if you have any questions.

In the past I have owned a TTR250, an XT 225, and a (beat up) KTM exc 200.  The Pitser feels like a nice blend of these different bikes, which is what I was going for...

• 3 months later...

Just to add some information to this thread:

I decided to give one of these bikes a shot. It's still early on, but so far I'm impressed with the thing.  Like the guys above, I wanted a little more than the air-cooled bikes could offer, but less than the race bikes and this seems to be a good middle ground.

It looks to be based on the 2011-2012 KTM chassis, but it has a Zongshen motor that is also used in the CSC RX3 adventure bike. The EFI on the Pitster is different. The RX3 is Delphi and the Pitster is KAYO.

I ordered an Acerbis desert tank for the KTM and it fits perfectly.:

bwWdfGX.jpg

pCHxmcX.jpg

That's interesting that the KTM tank bolted on like it belonged there. 

Its often been said that the Japanese built their motor industry by copying the best in a given segment, then finding and fixing its flaws. For example early Toyota land cruisers bore a strong resemblance to land rovers, with a bit of jeep and a knock off chevy engine thrown in. Early Nissan I6 engines were dead ringers for Mercedes, just scaled down a bit, and some of thier 4 cyls with push rods were LBC copies, except that didn't leak.

If the Chinese bike builders a using that play book now, good stuff will come of it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HappyAndy said:

That's interesting that the KTM tank bolted on like it belonged there. 

Its often been said that the Japanese built their motor industry by copying the best in a given segment, then finding and fixing its flaws. For example early Toyota land cruisers bore a strong resemblance to land rovers, with a bit of jeep and a knock off chevy engine thrown in. Early Nissan I6 engines were dead ringers for Mercedes, just scaled down a bit, and some of thier 4 cyls with push rods were LBC copies, except that didn't leak.

If the Chinese bike builders a using that play book now, good stuff will come of it. 

Agreed. This bike seems to be taking that tactic.

China has a much larger affluent class now and they are demanding higher quality products and they have the cash to pay for them. Much diffeerent then 15-20 years ago.

Here is the dead give away that this is a clone TM, or "CTM" as I call it:

2011 frame on ebay:

Yd1X56p.jpg

LXR manual:

gEvVviS.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

That is an awesome thread, thanks for sharing.  I have about 1000 miles on the bike now, need a new rear tire.  Been doing a lot of Hard (for me) Enduro trails on it, and it's doing well.  My only real complaint about the bike is the over all gear spread is a bit tight.  I find myself having to choose between the 13,14, or 15t front sprocket depending on the riding I have coming up.  Also, I modified the exhaust to add a spark arrestor and it seems to make the bike run better, reduced popping, etc.PitWheely4.png.42a26c86b906c9af6ee7930158d18ad6.pngIMG_5029.jpg.fa2a7e7817de2d40639a814d1eb4d043.jpgIMG_5007.jpg.1ed511e00fe42e9e596c8649a712ea03.jpg

Edited by swamichris
  • Like 2

Nice pictures Chris!

I like the 15t for running around town, highway.

The 13/51 setup it comes with is ok, but like you I want a taller 6th gear at the end.

Just put a 12t on and will be testiing it on some single track this weekend.

kuPXRWf.jpg

I ride with Roostre, and this bike has been pretty impressive.  Roostre is extrodinarilly hard on everything.  Nothing has broken on this bike besides the chain guide, which can happen to any bike when you bash them into the rocks repeatedly.  We rode from 5000ft to 10000 ft yesterday and the FI system had no trouble keeping up.  I have seen this bike get crashed so many times, over and over, and over. 

• Like 1

Some things about this bike that I really like. It has a cooling fan and a radiator catch tank. This is often overlooked, but important for trail riding. We have all seen KTM's steaming and puking coolent, this pitster never has.  It ships with all the street legal equipment. Your state may vary, but in Utah its ready to go. The 47mm forks work well, no leaks or signs of questionable quality. In truth it would be hard to guess that they Chineese. The 50mm rear shock is the same story, and KTM springs fit just fine.

When you realize that this bike costs a thousand dollars less than a crf230f its value starts to really shine.

3 hours ago, chadzu said:

I ride with Roostre, and this bike has been pretty impressive.  Roostre is extrodinarilly hard on everything.    I have seen this bike get crashed so many times, over and over, and over. 

Crashed? I call those side slide braking techniques. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chadzu said:

How would you describe that beautiful ghost ride into the trees? I really liked how you figured out how to stick that tree between your tank and radiator so it would stay upright!

Kickstand is optional with parking techniques like that. 

• Like 1

Yes. I bought them years ago from Highway Dirt Bikes... They are a little pricey, but definitely the best you can buy. https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=TI-200

Last week I ordered and installed a set of their brass Anti-Vibe handlebar inserts; they use the same threads as the handguard attachement. These things ROCK!! It completely quelled the handlebar vibration for me. (I'm old)   Prior to this I was worried about being able to ride a string of days back to back... Now I have ridden a few very tough back to back days with zero finger tingling issues. I would get "white finger" pretty quickly before.

I should also mention that I bought the KTM PHDS and they bolted up perfectly, but I really didn't notice much improvement.