Just bought my first dirtbike!

Hi all, I just bought a 99 yz250. This is my first dirtbike, I race atv harescrambles and mx, but I wanted to get a cheap 2stroke dirtbike so I don't put as much wear and tear on my quad at the mx track.  The bike was rebuilt as a project by one of my old highschool powerlifting coaches, he is tedius with mechanical things, and I bought it from him with 7 hours on the hour meter. 

My plans for the bike are to put Vforce 3 reeds in it, and a pro circuit silencer.  In the spring, I'm going to re-valve the suspension for my weight.  

The bike is really clean, and has new top end, bottom end, front wheel, brakes, chain, sprockets. Is there anything I should keep an eye on with this model?  

Thanks for any input!

• Like 3

Good luck with your YZ!

A few things that you might do to make it MORE fun......

Add a GYTR 8.5 oz Flywheel, Chad Reed raced with one and I can verify that the small weight will smooth out that wicked hit at 50%+ throttle.

The other option to help is a 120 sized Rear Tire will provide more traction and less wheel spin.

• Like 1

I'm no help with the pipe and silencer but the stock pipe is great as is, you may want to keep the stock for a back-up. I notice your bike has the 02-14 tank and shrouds, just thought I would let you know if you ever order graphics, very nice bike btw. Oh, regular maint. and you'll be good to go.

Edited by Alan48
  • Like 1

Another option is to add the reed block spacer (and longer screws) from the 2002 & up YZs.

1 - Plate, Reed Valve - P/N 5NX-13624-00-00
5 - Bolts - P/N 91317-06025-00

# 7 in the parts list below;

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500449dcf8700209bc79062f/intake

This adds a pinch more torque so that the motor eases into the 'hit' a bit more smoothly.

It's easy to add or remove the plate, so you can use it to experiment with the powerband.

Congrats on your new bike! Keep a clean air filter in it and it will probably outlast your friend's 450.  ?

• Like 2

Hi all, I just bought a 99 yz250. This is my first dirtbike, I race atv harescrambles and mx, but I wanted to get a cheap 2stroke dirtbike so I don't put as much wear and tear on my quad at the mx track. The bike was rebuilt as a project by one of my old highschool powerlifting coaches, he is tedius with mechanical things, and I bought it from him with 7 hours on the hour meter.

My plans for the bike are to put Vforce 3 reeds in it, and a pro circuit silencer. In the spring, I'm going to re-valve the suspension for my weight.

The bike is really clean, and has new top end, bottom end, front wheel, brakes, chain, sprockets. Is there anything I should keep an eye on with this model?

Thanks for any input!

I have the same bike. I had a 2012 450R FI long travel set up for dunes with big 3 but I sold it because I'm used to bikes and qwad was slow. Once you get a taste of that bike you'll probably park your qwad.[emoji106] Edited by BetaCuck

Hi all, I just bought a 99 yz250. This is my first dirtbike, I race atv harescrambles and mx, but I wanted to get a cheap 2stroke dirtbike so I don't put as much wear and tear on my quad at the mx track. The bike was rebuilt as a project by one of my old highschool powerlifting coaches, he is tedius with mechanical things, and I bought it from him with 7 hours on the hour meter.

My plans for the bike are to put Vforce 3 reeds in it, and a pro circuit silencer. In the spring, I'm going to re-valve the suspension for my weight.

Thanks for any input!

Don't do vforce 3 reeds.. they are a waste of money and will fail you in the end! Had an 05 yz125 and the v force cage warped and the reeds would not sit flat, causing the bike to never run properly..

Keep the OEM cage and put some boyesen super sticks or super pro reeds (or whatever they are called.)

• Like 1

I have the same bike. I had a 2012 450R FI long travel set up for dunes with big 3 but I sold it because I'm used to bikes and qwad was slow. Once you get a taste of that bike you'll probably park your qwad.[emoji106]

Everyone is telling me this now.... 12k into the 450, I will force myself to ride it haha. 

Does anybody run a steering stabilizer on their dirtbike? I put one on the quad - it was a night and day improvement.

• Like 1

Everyone is telling me this now.... 12k into the 450, I will force myself to ride it haha.

Does anybody run a steering stabilizer on their dirtbike? I put one on the quad - it was a night and day improvement.

I'd describe it as the same improvement on a dirt bike, night and day. Really calms the chassis in loose, rutted up stuff at speed, makes life way better in sand, and helps the bike handle sudden hits with way less deflection...basically allows the rider to work less.

And welcome to dirt bikes! Good choice with the YZ250. A good buddy of mine recently converted over from 4 wheelers (with my constant jabbing and shit-talk) - he was fast on a KTM 525XC. He sold it and got a plated CRF450X and is loving it and getting faster, but still misses the quad sometimes. I don't get it - those things are death traps. There was also really nowhere to ride it around here, way more options with a plated dirt bike.

• Like 1

I'd describe it as the same improvement on a dirt bike, night and day. Really calms the chassis in loose, rutted up stuff at speed, makes life way better in sand, and helps the bike handle sudden hits with way less deflection...basically allows the rider to work less.

And welcome to dirt bikes! Good choice with the YZ250. A good buddy of mine recently converted over from 4 wheelers (with my constant jabbing and shit-talk) - he was fast on a KTM 525XC. He sold it and got a plated CRF450X and is loving it and getting faster, but still misses the quad sometimes. I don't get it - those things are death traps. There was also really nowhere to ride it around here, way more options with a plated dirt bike.

What brand do you recommend for stabilizer?  And all you dirtbikers talk crap to quad riders, I partially got one to shut my friends up lol. That and District 6 has twice as many dirtbike harescrambles as quad harescrambles :-/

My plans for the bike are to put Vforce 3 reeds in it, and a pro circuit silencer.  !

Honestly the last two things I would do. The stock reeds and silencer are very good, same with the stock pipe. Being a 99 you may want to CHECK the reeds and replace if gapped or chipped but the stock fiber reeds do very well.

Do the head mod and get the jetting right and you'll be more than impressed. Then you can reflect on the money you just saved.

• Like 4

^^ +1

Miniscule gains per dollar from reed block and silencer, although I've read nothing but great things about DEP pipes. I can't say much there because I've only ever run the stock pipe. Been eyeballing that DEP lately, though, $208 on eBay isn't bad. But first, research jetting and head squish here and do that stuff first - you'll be very glad you did. $80 to mod the head, $30 for a Suzuki needle and a couple of extra jets and set/check your timing for free, and then assuming the rest of the motor is solid, the bike will rip and start great if it doesn't already.

For the stabilizer, I'm a huge fan of Scotts. I know GPR and Fastway make great products also, but I've been super impressed with my Scotts and the guys there are awesome to deal with.

^^ +1

Miniscule gains per dollar from reed block and silencer, although I've read nothing but great things about DEP pipes. I can't say much there because I've only ever run the stock pipe. Been eyeballing that DEP lately, though, $208 on eBay isn't bad. But first, research jetting and head squish here and do that stuff first - you'll be very glad you did. $80 to mod the head, $30 for a Suzuki needle and a couple of extra jets and set/check your timing for free, and then assuming the rest of the motor is solid, the bike will rip and start great if it doesn't already.

For the stabilizer, I'm a huge fan of Scotts. I know GPR and Fastway make great products also, but I've been super impressed with my Scotts and the guys there are awesome to deal with.

Where is the best place to get a stabilizer? On my yfz forum, there are vendors with great specials for forum members. Anything like that here?  All the feedback I've gotten is to just let well enough alone with the motor, so a stabilizer may be the first thing I do.

I bought my stuff straight from Scotts. Eric at Scotts is a member here and he might work a member discount of some sort, not sure. A bunch of vendors do TT discounts, though, I do know that. That is one part I'd say you're definitely not wrong to do first. Definitely want to get the suspension and sag set up right, that would really be #1, as you already know. But the Scotts is #1.5 for me.

Yeah, for the head, jetting and timing - it's one of those things where, when things work fine and the bike makes plenty of power, it doesn't seem all that necessary. Then when/if you end up doing those things, you realize you've been missing out and it's how the bike should have run in the first place! And for relatively few dollars, compared to pipe, silencer, vforce 3, bling, etc. But the stabilizer is a good move in my opinion...although I'm also more off-road/woods/desert (before I moved to FL, anyway) oriented than moto.