L Subframe Support Options

There are two subframe support options as far as I can tell.

Sw-Motech http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-sub-frame-support-arms-for-honda-xr650l-93-16-silver

Manracks http://www.manracks.com/_p/prd1/4515170921/product/xr650l-hog-legs

Since I do not weld, and would not be able to fashion something, which one of these would you recommend, if either?  

I'll probably be putting a Giant Loop on the back and be doing south west USA trail riding (nothing hard core).

I appreciate any and all responses, far and wide!

I installed the manracks on my XR. they made it a bit tricky to get the seat on & off but install was easy & they clearly add some support. I only did some light duty riding with them but had no problems.

the Sw-Motech supports look much stronger but don't fit with certain aftermarket exhausts. there's a thread somewhere that covers most that work or do not...

Edited by rkdwp

Are the 650L really that weak?

I'm just curious as I am about to install a rear rack myself and plan to frequently carry between 10 to 30 pounds on it.

You won't have a problem with 10 unless you take some triples with it on there.  30 may cause you some grief if you hit a few good potholes.  It is also dependent on how the rack attaches and where the bulk of the weight is.  If you can place the keep as much of the weight toward the rear of the seat and make it secure (not able to bounce) you won't have an issue.    

Edited by hollerhead
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that the Dirtracks would provide the same support as the bars I made but with the added benefit of a crash bar and exhaust protection drewbug, I'm liking it a lot. You could even add the ManRacks Hog Legs on the inside if you wanted to do a little overkill. It's piece of mind for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed the SW Motech sub frame braces on my 2017... they are pretty simple but you might have to get longer hardware..(8mm x 80mm I believe)  I installed a rear rack on my bike and the rack and the sub frame stiffeners use the same holes as the blinker mounts.  When you do that you need even longer bolts and also spacers to hold the blinker brackets off the tail rack.  Remember to use Blue Loctite on the nuts.

If you add an aftermarket pipe to the bike later or if it has one now, you can move the mounting hole on the bottom of the exhaust side brace by drilling a new access hole and trimming off the excess bracket on the bottom.  Or you can get a little fancy by bending the exhaust side brace arm in a couple places and use the same mounting holes... I'd stay away from heating the bracket / arm with a torch, as that will take some of the strength out of the part.

Edited by Todd Gardner