Looking for information on Hatfield McCoy's

I'm trying to put a trip together with a handful of my friends for this spring. Most of us have MX bikes but we still enjoy trail riding. I've always heard about the Hatfield McCoy trail system and how awesome it is. How is it there, is it better geared for ATV's and side by sides? I've seen a couple youtube videos and looks like it's just as great for bikes too. Are there specific trails that are better for bikes?

Anyway, any suggestions on what area to look for lodging and any other info that could help me put together this trip would be greatly appreciated! Or if you know something better, by all means let me know!

My personal preference is the Buffalo Mountain / Devil Anse trail systems around Matewan and Williamson WV. The wide trails are generally well maintained and the singletrack stuff is mild to wild.

I've generally found the atv and sxs folks to be courteous...sharing the trails, etc. Ther are plenty of bike to be seen on these trails.

On YouTube, search for videos of Buffalo Mountain 199, 97, 147, 186 to get an idea of what to expect on the singletrack trails.

Edited by brianbinwv
  • Like 1

I went with a group last year we had sport quads and we ride pretty fast it was one of the best trips we have ever had we rode two the systems and stayed in Mann West Virginia the little hotel we stayed at you park your trucks and quads right in front of your door we brought a grill, it was amazing we didn't have to load the bikes up because you can get to the trail heads from the hotel as far as how the trails go you couldn't ask for more yeah they are some wide parts because of the utvs but between the elevation changes switchbacks ,rocky climbs, lenth of trails, you won't be disappointed, bike, quad UTV it doesn't matter that system is amazing just make sure you take a map and Tow straps to get you out of there great time send me a private message if you need more info

I haven't ridden Rockhouse...but I hear from other guys in my group that it's a bit milder. Lots of mileage to be ridden and there's a connector between those trail systems.

My choice of place to stay is the Blue Goose Inn located in Matewan...there is indoor storage. At the other inn's, folks leave their bikes outside chained to trucks or trailers for the night.

I go to Hatfield about 3 times a season, the spring and fall are perfect because of temps, but anytime is good time there. As everyone has stated pretty much every system has difficultly levels from mild to wild. We normally stay at either Ashland Resort or Trail Head Resort or Twin Hollow. All three of these have camper hookups, cabins, tenting and are on a property with cameras and plenty of places to lock up bikes. If you stay in these areas you can teach 3 to 4 systems without trailering, all ride out and stay out locations. If you have not been ridden at Hatfield before you can't go wrong with your choice, not many places on the East Coast Match up.

Dirtbikehead, we can probably answer all your questions.  Rockhouse, Devil Anse, and Buffalo Mountain are connected and the dirt bike riders really like these trails.  The area/trails are set up so you will have access to gas stations.   I know dirt bike riders often worry about running out of gas.  But since you have towns to ride into from the trails, gas should not be an issue. 

There are a number of lodging establishments to choose from.  There are hotels, campgrounds, houses, and cabins.  You should do your homework when choosing lodging.  Some places sound better than they are!  lol  Several places have full kitchens and some have grills.  If you want to do any cooking, you should keep that in mind.   Most places have fire pits.  Other places may not have a kitchen.  Some have picnic tables.  A lot of the lodge owners sell permits.  That makes it a little more convenient for riders.  Some places have very little parking; others have plenty.  There is a lot to think about when choosing your lodging. 

Oh yes, one last thing:  occasionally, you do hear of a theft, but quite honestly, it is usually in the areas south of the Rockhouse, Devil Anse, and Buffalo Trails. 

If you have any more specific questions, we will do our best to help you.

• 3 weeks later...

I've ridden three HM systems, Pocahontas, Rockhouse and Buffalo Mountain. The trails at Pocahontas are easier, Rockhouse middle, and BM are serious. I'm an old slow guy, I prefer Rockhouse. But I'll go back to Buffalo Mountain as soon as I can.

There are three other systems that I have not yet tried.

Also there is a new system in Virginia, called spearhead, which is trying to replicate the magic of HM. All the trails are new, but I expect they will mature into some very fun riding

Stayed in Williamson and rode to matewan and one day we rode matewan to man and boy was that a trip. 3 hrs each way. Just make sure you can carry more fuel than your oem tank just incase. I didn't care for staying in Williamson too much because you have to ride the same trail head every single time to get to other trails. Imo I didn't care for buffalo mountain too much I liked rock house better but devil Anse is nice. But I tried one singletrack trail and didn't like it but I think I like the green and blue trails better just for the faster speeds and occasionally a couple jumps pop up. I recommend rock ouse and one day riding matewan to man vice versa. You'll enjoy it and one more thing is the trails don't get muddy they just puddle. We were there a week and it rained at least once a day the whole time we were there and it was nice to not have to worry about mud so don't let weather change your mind.

I love Hatfield McCoy and have gone 1-2 times a year for years now. I highly recommend staying in Matewan at the Blue Goose for their hospitality, location and indoor storage. Gilbert is great to stay at Twin Hollow for the view and hospitality. The nicest place we've stayed (by far) is Canebrake Cabins with nice, fully equipped units, including everything from shampoo to steak seasoning. Man is a nice town if you want a bunch of options for restaurants and Keith's bar is a great place for food and drinks. I like the Depot Lodge in Man. Look up more about the trails, food, and lodging options at the Hatfield McCoy website: www.trailsheaven.com.

About the trails: judging from my favorite towns you'll know I like Buffalo Mtn and Rockhouse and they're connected by the Devil Anse trail. It's a long connector so we usually trailer the bikes to the opposite system one day. Know that the singletrack trails are no joke. Do not go down any hills you can't get back up or you may spend hours wrestling bikes. I go for these extreme trails but you'll have a blast on the easier ones and find plenty of challenges on the Blue and black two track trails. Don't hesitate to ask if you have specific questions, I love it!

• Like 3

Do not stay at the Boars Nest. There is a "road crossing" at the driveway and the constant coal trains blow their horns all day and night. The Mexican restaurant in Matewan was the only restaurant open, but the food was great.

We went in 2015 and plan to go again this year.

Do not stay at the Boars Nest. There is a "road crossing" at the driveway and the constant coal trains blow their horns all day and night. The Mexican restaurant in Matewan was the only restaurant open, but the food was great.

I don't remember the name of the place we stayed in Matewan, it might have been Matewan House B&B. All of Matewan is small, there are only a handful of inns in the Downtown area. There were two places to buy dinner in town open when I was there. The one place we liked was dry, so the guys brought in their own coolers of beer.

There is a mainline coal train, double track that is 30 feet from the place we stayed. Bob is right, they blew their horns day and night, and rumbled down the track at high speed, shaking the buildings and waking everyone up. Good thing we all were completely exhausted from riding that we mostly just fell back asleep

I don't remember the name of the place we stayed in Matewan, it might have been Matewan House B&B. All of Matewan is small, there are only a handful of inns in the Downtown area. There were two places to buy dinner in town open when I was there. The one place we liked was dry, so the guys brought in their own coolers of beer.

There is a mainline coal train, double track that is 30 feet from the place we stayed. Bob is right, they blew their horns day and night, and rumbled down the track at high speed, shaking the buildings and waking everyone up. Good thing we all were completely exhausted from riding that we mostly just fell back asleep

Wingos is the restaurant below the Hatfield Inn, that you bring your own booze. It's good food, open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Supposedly the Blue Goose Inn is opening or has opened a bar. Bill (owner) has been working on it for years.

In past trips I've saved a lot of money by grilling my own food. That doesn't count for the vacation budget because I'd have to cook my own food if I were at home too. There is a grocery store a mile south of man, in Kentucky. There is also a pizza place and a few more food options there.

Wingos is the restaurant below the Hatfield Inn, that you bring your own booze. It's good food, open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.....

In past trips I've saved a lot of money by grilling my own food. 

That sounds right. The Historic Matewan House has a nice grill setup that guests can use.

Kentucky is right across the bridge, I drove into KY a couple of times by mistake coming back from riding Buffalo Mountain.

I'd love to get back there late Spring this year (after April showers have dried up a bit)

Man you guys gave me some great info, thanks! Sounds like it's all good. I really enjoy fast smooth trails where I can rip. Climbing up some some hills would also be a plus.

Good to hear about the weather and it not getting too muddy there, never know in May what the weather will be like. Also, my worry about my small 1.8 gal tank should be OK beings I can hit a gas station in between trail heads. Guess the cops are cool with non licensed bikes on the street?

I like Buffalo Mtn and Rockhouse because I like technical singletrack. If you want faster trails, the linked systems of Pocahontas, Indian Ridge, and Pinnacle Creek might suit your fancy. Ashland Resort is nice and comes recommended by lots of people.

You are perfectly legal to ride from the trails into town to the gas stations and restaurants. If you're on a 2-stroke, I like to carry the little 2.6oz oil bottles (refilled with my favorite oil) that mix up exactly one gallon.