can't kickstart bike only bump start?

I recently bought a 125cc pit bike for $150 off of craigslist as a relatively easy first winter project. The bikes kickstarter doesn't seem to work? I can bump start it in second and it runs great once i get it started. The kickstarter has some resistance in neutral without engaging the clutch, but once the clutch is pulled in all the way there is barely any resistance. The clutch is quite hard to pull in, but i thought that could just be the build quality? Also if Its in first and you kick it with the clutch in it lurches forward and no noise/backfire happens. I'm honestly stumped? Thanks for any help you have.

i don't know if it's normal, but  my younger sister's pitbike will only start in neutral with no clutch. the clutch seems to disable the kickstart. this could be the case with yours

• Like 1

I recently bought a 125cc pit bike for $150 off of craigslist as a relatively easy first winter project. The bikes kickstarter doesn't seem to work? I can bump start it in second and it runs great once i get it started. The kickstarter has some resistance in neutral without engaging the clutch, but once the clutch is pulled in all the way there is barely any resistance. The clutch is quite hard to pull in, but i thought that could just be the build quality? Also if Its in first and you kick it with the clutch in it lurches forward and no noise/backfire happens. I'm honestly stumped? Thanks for any help you have.

$150?!?! Yea, I would open it up and check everything out. At that price I would rebuild it all.

Something in the kickstart assembly may have busted loose? Wouldn't hurt to get a rebuild going.

• Like 1

Yes you can't start them with clutch in its just gotta be in neutral no clutch

It sometimes turns over, but it hasn't ever even got close to starting when kicking it in neutral with no clutch. It almost started when I rolled it down a hill and kicked it. 

$150?!?! Yea, I would open it up and check everything out. At that price I would rebuild it all.

Something in the kickstart assembly may have busted loose? Wouldn't hurt to get a rebuild going.

I looked over the assembly and it seems to be all intact. And it runs great once I get it going. Would a picture of the bike help? And when I do rebuild it are the $20 top end kits on ebay worth buying? Or are they junk? Thanks!

I looked over the assembly and it seems to be all intact. And it runs great once I get it going. Would a picture of the bike help? And when I do rebuild it are the $20 top end kits on ebay worth buying? Or are they junk? Thanks!

Yea, a pic might help. Also what brand and gear is this bike?

20$ for top end? I highly doubt it is any good! Probably made from lead lol.

I would spend a little more money and get a vertex or ProX. I would do Wiseco if you go big bore only! Check the crank and everything! Make sure there is NO play in the crank!

Heck! I would buy a crank and bearings with how little you got the bike for just to have piece of mind. A bottom end rebuild will also let you go through everything and make sure it is all good and will not cause any problems in the future.

• Like 1

Most pit bikes have no resale value.  Only the top brand bikes are worth anything used.  Don't dump a bunch of money in it.  And yes, parts are dirt cheap for most of them.  Hell a new carb is around $50.

• Like 1

Yea, a pic might help. Also what brand and gear is this bike?

20$ for top end? I highly doubt it is any good! Probably made from lead lol.

I would spend a little more money and get a vertex or ProX. I would do Wiseco if you go big bore only! Check the crank and everything! Make sure there is NO play in the crank!

Heck! I would buy a crank and bearings with how little you got the bike for just to have piece of mind. A bottom end rebuild will also let you go through everything and make sure it is all good and will not cause any problems in the future.

IMG_1483151327.913732.jpg any close ups you need?

Oh lol I was trying to get the gas leak issue fixed today and I found sort of found what was causing it to leak when the gas cap is off it doesn't leak out of the drain bolt but when it's on it does

when the gas cap is off it doesn't leak out of the drain bolt but when it's on it does...

Remove the short piece of vent hose on the gas cap and run a longer piece of hose from the gas cap to the hole just behind the the handlebar mounts, where the top triple nut is. The gas tank is pressurizing with the cap on when riding, and pushing the gas through the carb and out the bowl overflow. if there is a gas tank breather nozzle on the end of that short piece of hose, it is clogged.

• Like 3

Remove the short piece of vent hose on the gas cap and run a longer piece of hose from the gas cap to the hole just behind the the handlebar mounts, where the top triple nut is. The gas tank is pressurizing with the cap on when riding, and pushing the gas through the carb and out the bowl overflow. if there is a gas tank breather nozzle on the end of that short piece of hose, it is clogged.

IMG_1483221635.024285.jpg like this?

Yep, that'll work, it will allow the air in the tank to equalize and not build up pressure inside

• Like 1

I'm thinking the kick starting issue is a simple fix by adjusting the clutch.  If it won't adjust to the point that the bike doesn't lurch forward while in gear with the clutched pulled in and revving it up then you probably need to replace clutch components.

• Like 1