Exhaust Issue 2015 WR250F

I recently purchased a 2015 wr250F for my wife this past April. She was at the point where she was ready to step up her game and add aftermarket exhaust, so I purchased her a Yoshimura RS-4 slip on for Christmas. I am experiencing issues with the bike not running properly now that the exhaust has been installed. I have installed the same exhaust on my 2015 yz450F, without issue, as the bike automatically adjusted for the new exhaust. My assumption was that her wr250f would be the same. I have also installed exhaust on my friends 2016 wr250R which is a plated bike.. on this bike I knew that smog/emissions components had to be adjusted for/removed etc. All this being said... Does anyone know if I am missing a step for my wife's bike? I made sure that everything was fitted and torqued properly. The bike is running like it will not "relearn" the new exhaust. Any help would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a 2015 wr250F for my wife this past April. She was at the point where she was ready to step up her game and add aftermarket exhaust, so I purchased her a Yoshimura RS-4 slip on for Christmas. I am experiencing issues with the bike not running properly now that the exhaust has been installed. I have installed the same exhaust on my 2015 yz450F, without issue, as the bike automatically adjusted for the new exhaust. My assumption was that her wr250f would be the same. I have also installed exhaust on my friends 2016 wr250R which is a plated bike.. on this bike I knew that smog/emissions components had to be adjusted for/removed etc. All this being said... Does anyone know if I am missing a step for my wife's bike? I made sure that everything was fitted and torqued properly. The bike is running like it will not "relearn" the new exhaust. Any help would be appreciated.

You need a gytr tuner, I have similar issues and I literally just received the tuner yesterday. You are more than welcome to use mine if you don't want to drop $230+ on a tool you'll probably never need twice1483219598943.jpg
  • Like 1

Describe not running properly.

Describe not running properly.

It is bogging and not running with full power. It backfires like it is too lean all of the sudden. Was fine prior to adding the aftermarket exhaust. I saw a response that said I need a tuner. I was unaware of this, as my yz450f did not require tuning to learn the modification

Does your wife's 2015 WR250F have the Competition Kit installed, or is it otherwise stock?

It is otherwise stock outside of the exhaust

None of the FI Yamahas can self adjust the fueling to compensate for exhaust or other changes

Your YZ450F just coped better with the exhaust change as it is not as lean on the fueling in std trim. The WR however is lean and the exhaust change made it leaner still to the point it now doesnt run properly.

Get the tuner and the unlocked ecu so you can load in a mwp to suit an open pipe. You will then find it will run as it was intended/designed

• Like 1

None of the FI Yamahas can self adjust the fueling to compensate for exhaust or other changes

Your YZ450F just coped better with the exhaust change as it is not as lean on the fueling in std trim. The WR however is lean and the exhaust change made it leaner still to the point it now doesnt run properly.

Get the tuner and the unlocked ecu so you can load in a mwp to suit an open pipe. You will then find it will run as it was intended/designed

Thank you for the advice. I will get it taken care of

You need to purchase the Yamaha GYTR Competition Kit.

This kit comes with an ECU that allows the bike to run properly and can be remapped with the GYTR Power Tuner if so desired.

The stock ECU can't be remapped on USA WR250Fs with the Power Tuner.

Edited by YZEtc

You need to purchase the Yamaha GYTR Competition Kit.

This kit comes with an ECU that allows the bike to run properly and can be remapped with the GYTR Power Tuner is so desired.

The stock ECU can't be remapped on USA WR250Fs with the Power Tuner.

10-4, you are 100% correct, still can't find the plug though..........

It's the same plug you circled in the pic in your other thread.

It has a cap over the top of it.

The cap has a locking tab at the bottom.

Pull the tab toward you with your fingernail while pulling the cap upward.

Edited by YZEtc

Connect tuner, turn tuner on, then turn bike on by a quick press of the starter button
The WR's need to done this way for the tuner to be able to talk to the ECU (it is different to the YZ's which the instructions are written for, as the WR's didn't exist back then)

I believe the instructions have since been amended

Edited by GuyGraham
  • Like 1

Ok, I'll try it again. I assumed that wasn't the correct one because the tuner is telling me failure to communicate....

As GuyGrahm pointed out, the bike has to be "woke up" by pressing the starter button for a split second, just enough to turn the electrical system on.

This is because there is no ON/OFF switch as on earlier WR250Fs.

That also means that if you do not start the engine after "waking up" the electrical system, the bike will automatically turn the electrics off again after about 30 seconds, and you can tell when that happens because the speedometer goes out, the taillight goes out, and you can hear a click noise from a relay as it happens.

So, if the electrics turn off too early, wake it up again with another quick push of the starter button (but don't actually start the engine while doing so).

Sounds confusing, but not really.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 1