new to 4 strokes

So I just picked up a 2016 YZ450. I have always owned 2 strokes. Any tips on things to give attention to or any necessary mods  are appreciated . The fella I purchased it from hooked me up with extra air and oil filters . A gallon of Bel Ray 10W-40 Synthetic Ester Blend . And some MX-4 fuel.  

The first tip is that you don't need the expensive fuel.  91 octane pump gas is fine as long as it's 10% or less ethanol. 

Yes, you can get more power with race gas, but you'll probably have to map for it differently in order to realize most of the gain, and I don't think you're going to notice any shortage of power in the first place. 

• Like 1

That gas isn't cheap either ! I bought it from a retired  racer that did all the set up . Hopefully it does fine when I switch to pump gas. I do not need "more" power at my age and skill level that's for sure !! 

The GYTR tuner is very useful and doesn't break the bank. Change the oil and filter every 5 hours, keep the air filter clean and ride the hell out of it. It's a Yamaha so it's pretty much bulletproof.

• Like 1

yes the tuner is deffinitely helpful. I have the previous gen, the 10-13 model. I put a flywheel weight on it, and I know many do the same with newer models as well, and I absolutely love it. it also depends on the type of riding you do, luckily the kyb suspension is very good stock, but having it sprung and valves for your weight and riding style is always a plus...

• Like 2

Biff do you care to Elaborate ?

KXFreak, the previous owner had the suspension set up for a slighter heavier weighted rider . But they are local and I will be getting them to make adjustments for my weight and riding style . Thanks for your input !!

KXFreak, the previous owner had the suspension set up for a slighter heavier weighted rider . But they are local and I will be getting them to make adjustments for my weight and riding style . Thanks for your input !!

He's just saying you should have bought a 2 stroke instead of a 4 stroke, it's a personal preference battle you'll see on this forum everyday. None the less, I have a 450 4 stroke and am in the market for a 250 2 stroke currently as well. Not saying one is better than the other, there both great bikes and will Both bring you great joy to ride.....there just "different". I personally grew up riding 65's, 85's, and 125's because at that time the 4 stroke technology wasn't there and it fueled my passion for the 2 stroke as well, but don't get me wrong I love both and both are great bikes none the less

• Like 1

I've only ever owned CRF250X's and only ridden a 2s once, 2016 Husqvarna TE300,in November. On the drive home I stopped at the Husqvarna dealer to buy one but they were sold out, I'm first on the list for the next one coming this month (Jan '17).

I like the 4s and am more familiar with that technology (car mechanic) but that 2s was so much fun to ride and I constantly hear how much cheaper and easier they are to maintain.

Edited by jasongind
  • Like 2

Congratulations on the new bike. Its an awesome machine. I recommend buying the gytr tuner and playing around with different maps. It makes a big difference as you can make the bike more explosive or easier to ride depending on your liking. For motocross i definitely recommend a longer link in the rear and playing with the fork hight. Makes the bike turn better on flat corners. Front tire choice also makes a huge difference. Other than that change the oil often and keep the air filter clean

• Like 2

He's just saying you should have bought a 2 stroke instead of a 4 stroke, it's a personal preference battle you'll see on this forum everyday. None the less, I have a 450 4 stroke and am in the market for a 250 2 stroke currently as well. Not saying one is better than the other, there both great bikes and will Both bring you great joy to ride.....there just "different". I personally grew up riding 65's, 85's, and 125's because at that time the 4 stroke technology wasn't there and it fueled my passion for the 2 stroke as well, but don't get me wrong I love both and both are great bikes none the less 

If I wanted to stay with a 2 stroke I would not have parted with my low hour 2005 . Who knows , I may go back to a 2 smoke. But I am ready to learn and live with a 4stroke. I appreciate the battle as a whole , and would side with 2 smokes all day . But i am gonna enjoy myself and experiment some !! 

I picked up the tuner and can not wait to figure it out and mellow this beast down some ! Thanks for the input everyone !! (-:

Those blow up videos can be found for any type of bike and any type of brand. Seems kinda rare for a bike to put a rod through the bottom end in the first place.... however my brother was a victim of it at 90hrs on his crf450 2012. It was a freak mishap.... weak connecting rod that's all... no blueing, no bearing problems.. rod just snapped. Coulda happened in any bike or brand. Don't let anyone's horror stories scare you. You got yourself an excellent bike and I hope you enjoy it! I love my 450 and have the same bike as my brother but I don't think I'll have the same problem as him. You'll enjoy your bike I'm sure. Just take care of it and have fun and don't worry about problems if your doing proper maintenance.

If I wanted to stay with a 2 stroke I would not have parted with my low hour 2005 . Who knows , I may go back to a 2 smoke. But I am ready to learn and live with a 4stroke. I appreciate the battle as a whole , and would side with 2 smokes all day . But i am gonna enjoy myself and experiment some !!

I picked up the tuner and can not wait to figure it out and mellow this beast down some ! Thanks for the input everyone !! (-:

I hope you didn't misunderstand my last post, I have a 2011 yz450f and absolutely love it. I also grew up riding 2 smokes and love them as well. I was never one to pick one side or the other, they both have there advantages and disadvantages....but I still don't have a preference to either one. I ride for enjoyment, I'm not making money doing it, and I could gurantee any dirtbike, whether it be 2 or 4 stroke, would be able to fulfill that need. Like I said though, none the less, I own a 450 4 stroke and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I am looking for a 250 2 smoke just so I can have the best of both worlds. Don't let someone tell you that you messed up by buying a 4 stroke, it'll bring you gobs of joy. just keep up on maintnence and she should treat you right in return.

Also I run the "smooth map" and absolutely love it on my 450.

Edited by kxfreak
  • Like 1

Biff Tannen is what is known as a troll, posting off-topic items intended to stir the pot and get a reaction.  If it continues, he will get one.