1985 RM125 Build

I bought an 85 rm125 and it ran like garbage. I brought it home, drained the gas, cleaned the carb and got new plugs. Still didn't run after it had new gas, a clean carb and a new plug so we looked into the cylinder to see that the piston had a hole right through it. The cylinder is completely scored up so I'm gonna have to have it bored out and possibly sleeved. Any common problems with this bike I should know about? The plan is to possibly run some harescarmbles on it this summer. Updates to come.

Power characteristics of the 85 rm are highly unsuited to hare scramble racing. You will do fine as long as you don't mind riding with the throttle pinned!

I'm going to have the cylinder sleeved soon but in the meantime, my bars and grips arrived! The old bars were bent, rusty and the grips were pushed closer to the middle of the bars. The bike looks mint now so I suppose it's time to get it running. Form over function lol

I also sand blasted the pipe and I'm going to refinish it. I will also be repacking the silencer soon. I attached images of the sand blasted pipe and the aforementioned bar swap.

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

I got  the cylinder sleeved and she's all back together and running. The pipe turned out really nice and hopefully the paint job will last (Sorry bout the dim picture). Carb needs a tune pretty bad because if you even whisper  "power band" the bike does jack sh!t. Front brake caliper needs to be rebuilt so that will be happening soon. 

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

FullFloater workspretty good. Got the carb clean and good reeds I it? 

Edited by Motox367

Yeah the carb had carb cleaner in if for almost a month :rolleyes: and as for the reeds, I have no clue. They are in good condition but I have no idea what kind of reed they are. The suspension is extremely soft on my bike, is that normal? It feels like riding a couch...

Edited by VintageMoto

Well that might be good for harescrambles.  i never noticed how hard my 450 seat is untill I did a harescramble last summer lol 

Disregard the previous post... the PO said it was a 1987 frame but a vin check shows it's a 1985. 

In other news I ordered a new front fender, brake caliper rebuild kit and brake pads. Still working on the tune cuz I haven't had much time to work on it lately.