Carbon Buildup Cleaning Tricks

Damn that looks good! Way cleaner than I was able to get mine. I used some engine cleaner, worked pretty good, but didn't look that nice.

btw, officially just completed my top end job, going to see if it starts tonight....

• Like 2

Damn that looks good! Way cleaner than I was able to get mine. I used some engine cleaner, worked pretty good, but didn't look that nice.

btw, officially just completed my top end job, going to see if it starts tonight....

Thanks. Forgot to mention that it takes about 2 min to blast it.

Good luck firing your bike up!

I just took my 200 apart and I have some terrible carbon buildup as well! Luckily I have a refinished cylinder I am going to use, then I'll get my old one spec'd and see if it needs a replate. Going to clean up my PV parts and stick them in the new cylinder.

IMG_1484944152.353399.jpg

IMG_1484944180.185081.jpg

I just took my 200 apart and I have some terrible carbon buildup as well! Luckily I have a refinished cylinder I am going to use, then I'll get my old one spec'd and see if it needs a replate. Going to clean up my PV parts and stick them in the new cylinder.

attachicon.gifIMG_1484944152.353399.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1484944180.185081.jpg

That's a dirty 2 smoker right there!  It will be so worth it when you are done. My bike ran phenomenal yesterday, wish I would have done this sooner. More power everywhere, starts 1st kick every time and just feels better overall. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1484944152.353399.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1484944180.185081.jpg

Just out of curiosity I would llike to know which oil and ratio you are using. I will be doing my 200 topend soon too.

That's a dirty 2 smoker right there!  It will be so worth it when you are done. My bike ran phenomenal yesterday, wish I would have done this sooner. More power everywhere, starts 1st kick every time and just feels better overall. 

don't forget to do a compression test now that it is new. 

that will give you a base line for checking during this top end's life.

don't forget to do a compression test now that it is new. 

that will give you a base line for checking during this top end's life.

good call Hawaii!

Just out of curiosity I would llike to know which oil and ratio you are using. I will be doing my 200 topend soon too.

I am using Amsoil Saber at 80:1. Everything had plenty of oil film on it and the power valve was really smooth. I think I just need to get the motor running a bit hotter so it will burn off better.
  • Like 1

I am using Amsoil Saber at 80:1. Everything had plenty of oil film on it and the power valve was really smooth. I think I just need to get the motor running a bit hotter so it will burn off better.

Why not just run an oil that has a lower flash point like Amsoil Interceptor?

Thanks. Forgot to mention that it takes about 2 min to blast it.

Good luck firing your bike up!

You put the baking soda in the sand blaster?

You put the baking soda in the sand blaster?

Yes. You can use arm and hammer from the grocery store or buy blasting grade from harbor freight. The blasting grade granules are larger and cut better.

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-lbs-medium-grade-armex-soda-blast-media-65929.html

Before anyone asks, yes soda is supposed to be a one time use media, however I use it until the consistency becomes very fine, then I replace with new.

I freakin love it. Cleans carbs, carbon deposits, removes gasket material, and rinses away with hot water. It saves me so much time and lets me do a better job :)

I have probably $200 invested in my setup. 

• Like 3