2017 whatchu listenin' to ? thread

i know hip-hop music isnt very popular here, but maybe some can enjoy some non-mainstream instrumentals. theres a lot of really good instrumental music out there that can be a good changeup when you want hear something fresh. a lot of this stuff has elements from all different genres of music and blends it all together to make something smooth and easy to listen to.

great background music when your working on the bike or cleaning the shop.

Peanut Butter Wolf was paving the way back in 1994. this one is smooth. dont judge a book by its cover here..

Ten years later RJD2 made the sound bigger and more alive. this one is funky.

if you can dig on those two songs, this brings the downtempo laid back funky sound full circle. i highly recommend giving this album a go if you enjoyed either of the prior two songs.

just hit play and walk away.

On 2/20/2017 at 9:19 AM, TheW0LF said:

i know hip-hop music isnt very popular here, but maybe some can enjoy some non-mainstream instrumentals. theres a lot of really good instrumental music out there that can be a good changeup when you want hear something fresh. a lot of this stuff has elements from all different genres of music and blends it all together to make something smooth and easy to listen to.

great background music when your working on the bike or cleaning the shop.

Peanut Butter Wolf was paving the way back in 1994. this one is smooth. dont judge a book by its cover here..

Ten years later RJD2 made the sound bigger and more alive. this one is funky.

if you can dig on those two songs, this brings the downtempo laid back funky sound full circle. i highly recommend giving this album a go if you enjoyed either of the prior two songs.

just hit play and walk away.

Wolf that's good stuff right there!

I'll listen to anything. Learned that from sneaking into the Newport Jazz Festival every summer as a youth.

There was an amazing music scene every summer in Newport, RI.

The Jazz festival was probably only half jazz acts back then. Lots of blues, R&B and even rock.

Here's an example of 1969 lineup. I didn't start sneaking in until the early 70s but my mom used to go in the in early 60s. I remember a lot the locals would look down on the BEATNICKS that would show up every summer.

The festival's 1969 program was an experiment in fusing jazz, soul, and rock music, and their respective audiences. Its lineup included, besides jazz performances, Friday evening appearances by such rock groups as Jeff Beck, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Ten Years After, and Jethro Tull. Saturday's schedule mixed jazz acts, such as Dave Brubeck and Miles Davis, with performers in other genres, including John Mayall and Sly & the Family Stone. On Sunday, James Brown was among those who appeared in the afternoon, followed in the evening by Herbie Hancock, blues musician B. B. King, and the English rock group Led Zeppelin.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TOMSQVARNA said:

The festival's 1969 program was an experiment in fusing jazz, soul, and rock music, and their respective audiences. Its lineup included, besides jazz performances, Friday evening appearances by such rock groups as Jeff Beck, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Ten Years After, and Jethro Tull. Saturday's schedule mixed jazz acts, such as Dave Brubeck and Miles Davis, with performers in other genres, including John Mayall and Sly & the Family Stone. On Sunday, James Brown was among those who appeared in the afternoon, followed in the evening by Herbie Hancock, blues musician B. B. King, and the English rock group Led Zeppelin.

wow that would have been incredible to see. i am so jealous that you got to see that and im sure more. i have all of what you mentioned currently added to a playlist on my mp3 player that i listen to while im peddling my bike to work.

music was/is my first love. i grew up around countless musicians and come from a long line of musicians. been playing drums since i was 13, but drifted from it in the last 4 years. BUT i did just wrap up building my own drumset from the ground up(also a woodworker). being surrounded by music gave me an appreciation for most music like you. some stuff i may not "like", but i can generally find something to appreciate about it.

classic rock is my roots. i learned to play like The Hammer of The Gods from listening to John Bonham

i still listen to all different genres, but lately i have been really REALLY in to jazz. got tired of listening to all the shitty commercials and repetitive playlists on mainstream radio. about 5 years ago i put on the independent jazz station KJAZZ 88.1 and just let it play as background music. eventually heard Bill Evans play this exact live version of "My Foolish Heart". no words, just piano bass and drums. too me, hearing this for the first time was crazy. then i watched this video and saw that Bill plays with his eyes closed at all times, and never makes even the smallest mistake. #mindblown

i will never play jazz on the drums, but i think it only makes me appreciate it more.

23 hours ago, bordsmnj said:

instrumental album. the B Boys had a few.

the former beastie boys keyboardist, Money Mark, is actually a good friend of my family's. i grew up watching him play keys at jam sessions where all the local musicians would get together at my house or other friends' houses. his brother sold me my first drum set.

beastie boys were hardcore in to funk music too. check it check it check it!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...