How far can you go?

OK. Might be a silly question, but since I have never ridden, I don't know. I'm looking to getting into the sport this year or next depending on finances.

How far does the average bike go on a tank of gas? Just regular trail riding. Looking at probably getting a 230 or possibly a 250 to start with. There are quite a few trails up by my folks and you can go for hundreds of miles I'm guessing, but I have no idea how far you can get on a tank to be safe.

Thanks for your input!

OK. Might be a silly question, but since I have never ridden, I don't know. I'm looking to getting into the sport this year or next depending on finances.

How far does the average bike go on a tank of gas? Just regular trail riding. Looking at probably getting a 230 or possibly a 250 to start with. There are quite a few trails up by my folks and you can go for hundreds of miles I'm guessing, but I have no idea how far you can get on a tank to be safe.

Thanks for your input!

a 230 four stroke ridden by a girl can get probably 150 miles on a tank

a 250 two stroke ridden by a beast would only get 40-45 miles

• Like 2

On a 250f you should be able to get 2-2.5 hour on a tank at a normal pace. 250 two stroke probably 1.5 hours maybe 2. Look into an oversize tank.

I regularly race enduros and do 3 hrs and 90+ miles on a full tank no problem. I'm on a 16 FE 350.

• Like 1

You can measure the run time on open class 2ts in minutes if your running in sand.

• Like 3

1) If you don't have experience at all, get the CRF230.  If you're a good learner, plan on selling it in one year.  Starting with an easy bike like the 230 is the fastest way to learn, not get hurt, and not end up hating the sport.  And it has e-start which you will appreciate as a beginner.

2) The CRF230 gets very good mileage.  Mine got something like 50 mpg during easy trail riding.

3) For "most" bikes and condition that an amateur rides, plan on 25 to 35 mpg.

4) I ride a 250 2t and generally do 60 miles with 2 gallons.  This is slow technical single track.  The rides are usually 5 or 6 hours including lunch break.

5) Depending on conditions, most bikes have enough gas for a full day of general trail ridding.  Plan on two fill-ups for high speed trails or desert.

Very bike and riding specific BUT for me its important to not run out of gas cus I can ride some remote locations and not something I want to have to deal with.

As I've posted in numerous topics about this and I'm using litres and KM's and this is with my CRF250R with a 250X tank.

This may seem more complicated that it actual is but IMO well worth if running out of gas is an issue (IE spending the night in the bush or walking out)

Once you have the bike, drain the tank completely.

Get an accurate measuring bottle and measure how much gas the tank holds and note.

If the bike happens to have an odometer great, otherwise get a GPS or better still a free GPS app for your phone.

Go for a ride around a local area and try to use about 1/2 of the gas.

Go home and refill with the original accurate measuring bottle and note.

Here is what I did.

Fuel tank = 9.3L

Ride 80KM = then refilled and used 4.8L

Balance left = 4.5L

80km divided by 4.8L = 16.7L

4.5L x 16.7 = 75KM

75KM + 80KM = 155KM

I got approximately the same fuel usage on 2 very different rides so on a long ride I use my GPS/Phone and feel OK with 140KM or so fuel range. Otherwise I will carry back up gas

Buddy of mine has an 07 YZ250, we both filled up before we took off on a club trail ride @ Leota (in MI). Portions were wide trail to connect the tighter stuff. Not a LOT of it but if you really ring it out down that you will burn through some fuel. Anyhow, he made it 36mi or so. My 07 yz250f made it back to get the truck, which was about 39mi lol. I still had enough to probably go a little further. I just didnt really get on it and ride high Rs on the wide open stuff. First I hate it, and second a lot of it was early on and I didnt wanna risk running out. 

So anyhow, in short, 36mi on an 07 yz250 in that circumstance, probably 43-44mi on my 07 yz250f. Keep in mind it was also 50" trail while a lil tight in spots and we are usually not keepin it low n slow. 

Do yourself a favor and buy an oversized clear tank to extend your ride and just use your head. For example: if you're riding steadily away from home base and you've used half your fuel.... turn around and head back.

230s do not need oversized fuel tanks.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 1

The more the merrier I say, but prob right.

The more the merrier I say, but prob right.

OP, if you're a beginner, fuel mileage probably won't be something to worry about, your body will be out of gas before your bike. As long as you ride with a buddy or two, running out of gas is no big deal, borrowing fuel from someone elses bike is common

Is that an xr250?

Because a motocross 250 4t won't do all day.

It's a TTR 250.

230's (Red or Blue flavored) are great starter bikes and will go almost anywhere you will want to go, but not as fast as a "big" bike. You can purchase a clean used model for a couple of grand, use it to build your skills ans resell for the same value as purchased when you are ready to upgrade the ride.

Resist the urge to spend a bunch of cash on upgrades on a 230, just ride and have fun for 75-80 miles per tank (larger tanks weren't available last time I checked).

Great info in these forums:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/23-xrcrf-80-200/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/24-ttr/

Edited by jffsnlsn