heavy motocross boots

i was thinking about how crazy people hare watching bike weight gear weight driver weight .... but what about the weight of boots . i have alpinestar 3 size 11 and those boots weight a lot . i ride trail and single track . is there light weight boots ? they can surely make those lighter , we hare in 2017 . i know it protection but geez those hare heavy bastard .  

Boots aren't something that you want to sacrifice safety with a little weight savings. I'm in tech 10's and don't see myself dropping beneath a 7 no matter what type of riding I'm doing.

• Like 2

Boots aren't something that you want to sacrifice safety with a little weight savings. I'm in tech 10's and don't see myself dropping beneath a 7 no matter what type of riding I'm doing.

I'm in the same boat, although I use to ride with cheaper boots when I was a little more naive of the dangers that came with riding (and younger).......I now have a pair of tech 10's and don't see myself ever dropping down to something that isn't on the same level as protection. Not only do they provide excellent protection, but that alone adds to my confidence on the track knowing my feet/lower legs are as safe as they can be in a high impact sport such as motocross. I've shattered my femur before (non motocross related) and that was really an eye opener. I had broken many, many bones in my body up until that point and shrugged it off as no big deal, but when they say that it's as if you have to learn to walk all over again, that's an understatement. Your legs are critical to every day functionality......and if I have to sacrifice a couple extra pounds for that sense of security than so be it......it's worth it in the long run. (By the way, I had one incident this year where I surely would have broken both ankles/feet this year if it wasn't for my tech 10's, and if I was wearing any of the cheaper flimsier boots like I had in the past I would still be in cast......just food for thought)

• Like 1

Don't cheap out on protective gear. Lighter boots won't provide the protection you need when you need it. Buy the best gear you can afford and actually wear it. The day will come when you walk away from a hard crash because quality protective gear saved you from significant injury.

• Like 1

i was thinking about how crazy people hare watching bike weight gear weight driver weight .... but what about the weight of boots . i have alpinestar 3 size 11 and those boots weight a lot . i ride trail and single track . is there light weight boots ? they can surely make those lighter , we hare in 2017 . i know it protection but geez those hare heavy bastard .  

LOL, great point. It's more productive to assert the superiority of a brand because by golly it's 4 pounds lighter! :worthy:

i don't mean going cheaper boots , i mean lighter one . there is carbon fiber and all kind of stuff that can be put to make these lighter . 

i ride more seriously , it was my first real season , riding with real good fast buddy and it making push myself realy to the edge .  

thinking going better boots next year would like lighter one . can not figure what they put in those to be so heavy . plated steal lol . 

i don't mean going cheaper boots , i mean lighter one . there is carbon fiber and all kind of stuff that can be put to make these lighter . 

i ride more seriously , it was my first real season , riding with real good fast buddy and it making push myself realy to the edge .  

thinking going better boots next year would like lighter one . can not figure what they put in those to be so heavy . plated steal lol .

A diet would be just as effective and it would lower your center of gravity as a bonus.

• Like 6

A diet would be just as effective and it would lower your center of gravity as a bonus.

goimg to the jym wold be good but not for a diet for better endurance . i am 185-190 lbs  6,2 at 45 year old . i can maybe go down 5 ,10 lbs without drinking beer lol ..... haaaaa but i like my beer . my buddy told me to buy cocaine instead of titanium , an i will have the ''super hero '' effect plus be super light weight ! told him , i prefer beer and titanium . 

• Like 2

Can you even buy Jett boots? That article is from 2012...

good question, I don't know. I was on a ride with Karel Kramer a couple years back and I noticed him walking around with the uppers not attached. Kinda like a big slipper to walk around in the pits and far more comfy than regular motocross boots. He said he'd been riding all summer in them, and recommended them, so I bought a pair.

Edited by Slackkinhard

LOL, great point. It's more productive to assert the superiority of a brand because by golly it's 4 pounds lighter! :worthy:

You know you loved pushing my FX around last week ;).

• Like 1

I've got two pair of those, several pair of Gaerne, and a pair of the Jett boots. To be honest, the Jett boots don't fit my feet right, but they are well made, Italian, and I'd put them up against the others in quality of protection.

nice! Nothing wrong with having options.

IMG_1484181471.864522.jpg

Gaerne Gx-1

IMG_1484181530.008365.jpg

Forma Dominator

IMG_1484181555.187594.jpg

Forma predator

IMG_1484181645.299804.jpg

Gaerne Sg-11

The GX-1 are obviously the lightest and you feel it. However, after owning the 3 other boots I'd never go back to them for protection purposes. The predator are by far the most protective. The Sg11 is a good balance between light weight and protection

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 1

good question, I don't know. I was on a ride with Karel Kramer a couple years back and I noticed him walking around with the uppers not attached. Kinda like a big slipper to walk around in the pits and far more comfy than regular motocross boots. He said he'd been riding all summer in them, and recommended them, so I bought a pair.

Pretty sure they went out of business. I tried to buy some a couple years ago and I remember it was real hard and I didn't end up with a pair. Plus their website says it's up for sale.

• Like 1

Personally I've got TECH10's and honestly I don't notice the weight and IMO ya they can effect the overall weight of the bike/rider BUT I like the protection and the weight is down low on the pegs as opposed to helmet were IMO you can REALLY the effect of the weight.

Too me this is almost like I have heavy wheels/tires/tubes and can I go lighter weight - IMO not much and not noticeable.