IMS 2.9 YZ250F gas tank installed on the WR450 or 450FX

As I understand it:

IMS part number 117334-N2 is the tank I want.

https://www.imsproducts.com/Products/index.cfm?ManufacturerSet=Yamaha&maD=true&ModelSet=YZ250F&modD=true&yeD=true&siD=true&TypeSet=Fuel%20Tank&SeriesSet=&sed=true&tyd=true&YearsSet=2014-2017&SizeSet=2.9%20gal

To make it fit:

Sound correct ?

As I understand it:

IMS part number 117334-N2 is the tank I want.

https://www.imsproducts.com/Products/index.cfm?ManufacturerSet=Yamaha&maD=true&ModelSet=YZ250F&modD=true&yeD=true&siD=true&TypeSet=Fuel%20Tank&SeriesSet=&sed=true&tyd=true&YearsSet=2014-2017&SizeSet=2.9%20gal

To make it fit:

Sound correct ?

Sounds OK but nobody has done the IMS tank yet. Just the Acerbis tank.

I'm curious about this too.  Why would you want the 250F tank though?  Shouldn't they be the same?

It's a YZ tank.

No battery, no e start electronics, lighting stuff, etc. on those bikes.

That's why it is not a direct fit on any other WR or FX.

Sounds OK but nobody has done the IMS tank yet. Just the Acerbis tank.

Ah Chur Bis.

Got it.

Yes, I know that much - just wondering why the 250F instead of the 450F IMS tank, unless they're the same.

Neither IMS or Acerbis had a 2.9 gal tank for the YZ450F untill a few weeks ago.

Apparently the re-tooled the tank to fit both the 250 and 450 now.

The IMS 3.0 tank for the WR eliminates the stock shrouds, and the tank that does use the stock shrouds is only 2.5.

Hence the custom fitting required to get close to 3 gallons and not have 'wings'.

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, cxr100 said:

i actually ordered both of these and will be able to compare both side by side soon... the ims appears to carry weight lower/concentrated under the seat

If you could post pictures or even another tutorial I'd greatly appreciate it. Did you order the normal screw top in both models (as opposed to a dry-break set-up).

I've read the threads / posts by "chelder" as well as "stevethe" who both went with the Acerbis 2.9 but would like to see the comparison between the two. From what I've gathered thus far:

Acerbis 2.9:

• Eliminates the front portion of the seat that covers the stock gas cap and the tank has an upper portion that is housed in that location
  • Has more room between the rear of the tank and the front of the back fender to relocate the battery and electronics

IMS 2.9 (screw style cap):

• Retains the front portion of the seat and the gas cap is housed underneath it
  • Has less room between the rear of the tank and the front of the back fender to relocate the battery and electronics

From what I've seen I like the looks of the IMS tank more as it retains the stock look of the bike by retaining the front portion of the seat, also the Acerbis looks like the cap may create some " interference" if you try to slide to far forward on the seat. I'm just trying to find good pictures and a tutorial of the IMS tank on a WR (250 or 450) similar to what I've seen with the Acerbis.

I'm also strongly considering the 4 gallon safari tank. I know the drawbacks of changing the air filter, but it doesn't look like too much of a pain as long as the tank isn't full. My bike has a plate, which means some long rides connecting various trails. I also frequent Baja so extended range is a must.

Most of my friends are have anywhere from a 3.1 - 3.5 gallon tank on their KTMS and older WR's so I'd like to be able to match there distance. That being said a 2.9 should be pretty close since my WR seems to get better MPG's then they do.

On 1/12/2018 at 6:29 PM, THE KRAN said:

Acerbis with conventional fuel cap

Easy peasy

Thanks for the update Kran... How do you like it thus far? Does the acerbis require trimming of the seat (other than removing the front portion where the gas cap is normally hidden under?

I'm really stuck between the 2.9 conversion and pulling the trigger on the 4 gallon safari tank. I do some long rides, and don't want to have fuel anxiety. Just trying to weigh the pro's and cons of either option. 

On 1/12/2018 at 10:25 PM, cxr100 said:

5a59a61eef117_IMG_13631.thumb.JPG.e49b745a49408f123785c7b4edff49a5.JPG

IMG_1364[1].JPG

Thanks for the side by side photos! Any update? I see what you mean regarding the distance between the top of the tank and the bottom of the seat. But it also looks like the IMS extends further back towards the rear fender (which is where a lot of the electronics need to be shuffled around).

3 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

It's fine. I get about 110 miles per tank

for what its worth the acerbis says 3.0 on the packaging somewhere, I avg. of 46mpg so i expect to get somewhere between 120-150 miles. This bike is actually really efficient on the pavement, over the summer i got 57 and 58 mpg on two separate tanks in supermoto trim in the same day, at a pace that puts my r6 to shame lol.

4 hours ago, SLOSupermoto said:

Thanks for the side by side photos! Any update?

So far I have yanked out the stock tank and battery bracket holder, leaving my fairings hollow and wires dangling. i plan to mock up the tanks tomorrow and will snap some pics. still undecided but will likely go with whatever is most painless... i really don't need to see my fuel or risk the battery outside the frame but i really dont need to rack my nuts on the tank either haha.

3 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

You trim nothing with the acerbis, you just remove the 'door'.

It's fine. I get about 110 miles per tank

110 miles to the tank is better than I was expecting! What kind of trails / riding conditions is that in? I've calculated about 35-40 mpgs's so that sounds about right.

When you say it's fine, would you do it again? Or would you go in another direction? Do you have any pictures of your set up? I've seen the pics by others, but know you run pretty clean set ups and mods so was hoping to glean some knowledge.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, cxr100 said:

for what its worth the acerbis says 3.0 on the packaging somewhere, I avg. of 46mpg so i expect to get somewhere between 120-150 miles. This bike is actually really efficient on the pavement, over the summer i got 57 and 58 mpg on two separate tanks in supermoto trim in the same day, at a pace that puts my r6 to shame lol.

So far I have yanked out the stock tank and battery bracket holder, leaving my fairings hollow and wires dangling. i plan to mock up the tanks tomorrow and will snap some pics. still undecided but will likely go with whatever is most painless... i really don't need to see my fuel or risk the battery outside the frame but i really dont need to rack my nuts on the tank either haha.

Thanks for the update! By comparing both your answering a lot of questions I've been fretting over.

i thought I averaged about 35-40, but haven't followed it as closely as I should've. I do know my low fuel light usually comes on around 65 miles for most of my rides, any idea how much fuel is left in the stock tank at that point? I've heard the light comes on earlier then it should.

keep those updates coming with pics! I've gotta order a tank very soon!

8 hours ago, SLOSupermoto said:

110 miles to the tank is better than I was expecting! What kind of trails / riding conditions is that in? I've calculated about 35-40 mpgs's so that sounds about right.

When you say it's fine, would you do it again? Or would you go in another direction? Do you have any pictures of your set up? I've seen the pics by others, but know you run pretty clean set ups and mods so was hoping to glean some knowledge.

Thanks

For me it was the only option work choosing.

I'm not sure how else to say that it worked out best for me.

20170607_170618.jpg.cfe77d0fc4dedf17119757822ba1a5ea.jpg20170627_162552.jpg.898d4d57da0fcd9417ed9e735fb69f55.jpg20170627_162723.jpg.1a0a3acfc5d7843151982017c4e97d0b.jpg20170627_162826.jpg.62d817922913b11bfaa0bfb91c58ba9e.jpg20170627_162901.jpg.6d027555acd8bdb2fcb0faa3614f0a88.jpg

2 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

For me it was the only option work choosing.

I'm not sure how else to say that it worked out best for me.

20170607_170618.jpg.cfe77d0fc4dedf17119757822ba1a5ea.jpg20170627_162552.jpg.898d4d57da0fcd9417ed9e735fb69f55.jpg20170627_162723.jpg.1a0a3acfc5d7843151982017c4e97d0b.jpg20170627_162826.jpg.62d817922913b11bfaa0bfb91c58ba9e.jpg20170627_162901.jpg.6d027555acd8bdb2fcb0faa3614f0a88.jpg

Thanks for the update with the pictures Kran. Those are better than most of the pics I've seen around here. Do you have any other detailed / close-up shots of your wiring, battery, and battery tray under your seat? If not could you take a picture next time you have it apart?

2 minutes ago, SLOSupermoto said:

Thanks for the update with the pictures Kran. Those are better than most of the pics I've seen around here. Do you have any other detailed / close-up shots of your wiring, battery, and battery tray under your seat? If not could you take a picture next time you have it apart?

I have no other pics at the moment

Edited by THE KRAN