1983 Honda CR250R Rebuild

Removed and cleaned rear subframe (a Honda first for this '83), airbox, and carb.

IMG_1484620360.252261.jpg

Carb looked good.

IMG_1484620699.465352.jpgIMG_1484620724.431587.jpg

Previous owner was running a #160 main

The needle was marked 28P, clip was in top slot

The slide was marked with the numbers 3.5 and 03F

The slide looked pretty worn in the slot on the surface that the idle speed screw rides against

IMG_1484621293.268876.jpg

Edited by Sofiedog
  • Like 1

Changed oil. Used 800cc Rotella 5W-40 T6 Synthetic oil in the cases.

Reinstalled carb and airbox and new air filter. Radiators were full.

I left Idle mixture screw at 1 turn out, where previous owner had it.

Mixed up some 91 octane gas and Spectro Premix in a 32:1 ratio. (Spectro bottle says to mix at 53:1? )

Kicked a while with choke on, approx 50 F.

Tried left leg kick sitting on bike, but ended up kicking right footed standing next to bike.

Got bike to start. Didn't want to idle so I turned in idle speed screw a few turns.

Bike made lots of smoke. I have an exhaust leak where pipe attached to head and at the extension between pipe and silencer.

https://youtu.be/dM153ncOAno

Edited by Sofiedog
  • Like 3

I have a few things to do before the bike is rideable. The front tire is cracked badly and needs to be replaced. There seems to be too much play in rear wheel. I'm going to replace the bearings. The chain is too worn. I'm going to replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time.

All in all, it was a good find. It looks mostly original and in good condition. The only obvious new parts are the plastic side panels, shrouds, seat cover, tires and front fender. All else looks original, to me.

Edited by Sofiedog
  • Like 1

I had an 82 CR480 with left side kick starter. For shorty's like me, 5'6", I could stand on the left side to start it with my right foot. I also learned to start it with my left foot while on the bike. I can still kick start a CR500 with R or L, comes in pretty handy in tight situations.

Edited by knucklespisano
  • Like 2

This is my first CR...so I'm no expert...supposedly, the '83 was a sweet motor with a broad power band, for the day. Had significant changes from '82. There was no ATAC in '83. The'84 was all new ATAC engine with kickstart back on right side?

I'm dating myself here but I remember a Vet rider buying a new 84 and promptly selling so he could buy another 83. He preferred everything on the 83 over the 84 and that was before the spotty reliability reared its ugly head later that year.
  • Like 1