Baby Goat

Did this nickname come about after the 2015 outdoors series start....before he crashed out??? 

I imagine. But I think the term came just from the sheer speed even before. He's never been very consistent but, that's easier to be taught than sheer speed. I think it's the potential that coined the term.

I'm a big Tomac fan but even I'm not going out on that limb with that moniker. I've posted my .02 on this a few times but I think it's 25% bike 75% shoulders. I think that wreck may have permanently dulled his ability.

I don't think he likes the bike. If Dunge retires next year, Eli goes to KTM

I don't think it is the bike. Last year in SX ET was folding to Anderson and in outdoors he could not catch Roczen. And so far in SX he has folded to JA, MM, and now even CS (and not even in class with KR or RD). Even in cases where he has guys beat like MM and CS he ends up tailing off and losing position.

ET might need a different trainer, he is always a top physical guy, maybe he is being trained wrong or over trained?? It is one thing to be tracked down and passed by a RD or KR, but ET is getting beaten by guys he should own at least when he has a lead on them IMHO. And starts can't be blamed at least so far this year.

• Like 3

Maybe Eli is just Eli? He is what he is, not what everyone thinks he is or should be.

Sure but losing position hasn't been his MO. Even last year if he had JA or MM down good he could hold them off on most nights IMHO. This year so far I don't think so. Hopefully ET will pick it up, but he is not a guy you like to see losing spots once he is ahead. Last year in SX RD and KR could beat him, but after that ET and JA were pretty even (I lost that bet btw), now even CS took ET last week after ET had gotten ahead. It's a long season there is time for him to get better I guess.

I have a hard time thinking its his shoulders. He slayed the MXGP rounds and rode great. Even with shitty starts.. I know the MXPG guys are no joke so i cant see that being the reason he rode so well. I honestly think its in his head, he lets pressure get to him. Then again, he rode faster than anyone at the nations in 13 or 14? Cornering like no other. If there were more laps, he would have passed and checked out

• Like 1

Maybe Eli is just Eli? He is what he is, not what everyone thinks he is or should be.

He has shown blistering speed especially outdoors...

After his last injury one has to wonder if mentally one always has that in the back of their mind when coming back from such a terrible accident.... better to keep it on two wheels then blow an entire season.

I hope things start to click for him soon and we see some of the speed again that he is clearly capable of.

• Like 1

He was incredible for 5 motos

He wasn't dominate when he won the 250 Nationals in 2013 or when he won the 250 West in 2012

So what...he hadn't matured and hit his peak.........he hit his peak (like rockzen right now).....started destroying the field....than crashed and never was able to recover 100%...

He was incredible for 5 motos

He wasn't dominate when he won the 250 Nationals in 2013 or when he won the 250 West in 2012

So was James the year before, differance is James has a perfect season and some indoor and outdoor titles

Eli has failed to procure and is about 80 wins less than James.  James also has a Nations win too. 

So was James the year before, differance is James has a perfect season and some indoor and outdoor titles

Eli has failed to procure and is about 80 wins less than James.  James also has a Nations win too.

Eli's pace wasn't sustainable, many here including me saw it coming. Seems like I recall Bowman telling us that some guys on ET's team felt the same way.

Eli's pace wasn't sustainable, many here including me saw it coming. Seems like I recall Bowman telling us that some guys on ET's team felt the same way.

Why would they say that? If you can repeat your speed more than once it would make sense it's sustainable.

Why would they say that? If you can repeat your speed more than once it would make sense it's sustainable.

I didn't think it was sustainable because I felt like he was going to eat shit in a big big way, and then it happened. It wasn't just me, several others here were saying the same thing. There's all sorts of things I can't predict or would be way off about, but that one was screaming out to me at 1000 dB. It isn't the kind of thing you want to be right about either but I was cringing watching him run that pace.

When JS7 was beating up on Tim Ferry in '08 MX he wasn't going near the pace from '05 - '07 trying to beat RC. Even JS7 was smart enough to back it down.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

Some people, (myself especially) just can't let r fly after crashing hard enough to see the little birdies circle your helmet. Not that I was EVER fast. But my trail riding buddies are in awe that my bike doesn't tip over at the speeds I ride at now. I say that it takes skill not to tip over at my speed!!

• Like 2