crazybrother

What did you do to your 2017 FE501 today, ECU, TPS and mods etc.

Ok, guy's here's the thread that I was talking about. Let's put our settings and MOD's so we can keep track of what's working and what's not.

I found out today that our bikes have a GPS (Gear Position Sensor) built into the ECU so just uploading maps may not work. Also, what's your TPS setting and is it working? Also, what MOD's have you done?

Mine, so far.

TPS: .64

MOD's: FMF 4.1 Factory slip on

Removed all SMOG Crap (You must leave the Secondary Air valve connected-electrically) or you will get a fault code. All hoses can be removed and plugged.

The carbon canister is built within the front downtube on the frame-No need to remove it, just the hoses.

Edited by crazybrother
  • Like 2

Ok, guy's here's the thread that I was talking about. Let's put our settings and MOD's so we can keep track of what's working and what's not.

I found out today that our bikes have a GPS (Gear Position Sensor) built into the ECU so just uploading maps may not work. Also, what's your TPS setting and is it working? Also, what MOD's have you done?

Mine, so far.

TPS: .64

MOD's: FMF 4.1 Factory slip on

Removed all SMOG Crap (You must leave the Secondary Air valve connected-electrically) or you will get a fault code. All hoses can be removed and plugged.

The carbon canister is built within the front downtube on the frame-No need to remove it, just the hoses.

i thought everyone was bumping up the tps to .75 after emissions delete+slip on?

i thought everyone was bumping up the tps to .75 after emissions delete+slip on?

Thats what thought or isnt that what Dave from DBS said someone should do?

Dave, from BestDualSport told that to me but my Husky Dealer will not go above .70 he said that the Husqvarna Tech told them not to because of other issues... But he can't tell me what they were... So we will have to do our own trial and error. I don't have a TPS tool. I'm taking mine back in on Tuesday to have him bump up the TPS to .70 and will report back then.

Are you guy's doing your own 1 hour service?

• Like 1

All of the emissions can be removed except the three things circled in RED. Also the Secondary Air valve can be removed/plugged too.

EVAP-Husky_1.png

Also the Secondary Air valve can be removed/plugged too.

SAS-Husky.png

• Like 1

All of the emissions can be removed except the three things circled in RED. Also the Secondary Air valve can be removed/plugged too.

EVAP-Husky_1.png

Also the Secondary Air valve can be removed/plugged too.

SAS-Husky.png

Dumb question. I've never removed smog stuff before. What is it you're looking to remove?

why cant you remove the red cirdled things?  Does anything need to get plugged up like the cylinder head port once you remove the items?

why cant you remove the red cirdled things?  Does anything need to get plugged up like the cylinder head port once you remove the items?

The canister is inside the frame... Can't be removed unless you remove the header pipe...So I guess that you could remove it... The other one is the solenoid that will throw an ECU fault code... and the last one is the connector into the throttle body which would need to be plugged or replace with a bolt of the same size, I just capped it.

The canister is inside the frame... Can't be removed unless you remove the header pipe...So I guess that you could remove it... The other one is the solenoid that will throw an ECU fault code... and the last one is the connector into the throttle body which would need to be plugged or replace with a bolt of the same size, I just capped it.

Crazybrother thank you for this information. Looking forward to begin pulling out all this emissions. I'd be curious what all the emissions weighs? Sounds like a lot of crap. Probably close to a pound eh?

No not ever close. Most are in the range of .62-.65

Dave, from BestDualSport told that to me but my Husky Dealer will not go above .70 he said that the Husqvarna Tech told them not to because of other issues... But he can't tell me what they were... So we will have to do our own trial and error. I don't have a TPS tool. I'm taking mine back in on Tuesday to have him bump up the TPS to .70 and will report back then.

Are you guy's doing your own 1 hour service?

Beware of BDS, not a place I would get trusted info from. Listen to your dealer. You only need to go high enough to clean up the lowend/idle. Trial and error will not show up for a while, then its POS husky.

I was told over .75 starts to richen the idle up too much

Richness is the least of your problems. The timing becomes an issue and will shorten your motor's life especially with an exhaust, low quality gas and long WOT. This can show it's face 100 hrs later!

Edited by weantright

Beware of BDS, not a place I would get trusted info from. Listen to your dealer. You only need to go high enough to clean up the lowend/idle. Trial and error will not show up for a while, then its POS husky.

Richness is the least of your problems. The timing becomes an issue and will shorten your motor's life especially with an exhaust, low quality gas and long WOT. This can show it's face 100 hrs later!

Well said.

Emissions delete

FMF RCT 4.1

4 holes drilled in top of airbox

TPS @ .76 after playing with it yesterday.  Still a tad rich, but I'm going with an FC 450 intake boot today, so that should lean it out a bit.  Idle wasn't affected enough to make a difference.  Bike rips and pulls hard through all the gears

Beware of BDS, not a place I would get trusted info from. Listen to your dealer. You only need to go high enough to clean up the lowend/idle. Trial and error will not show up for a while, then its POS husky.

Thanks, Weantright!  This is the kind of information we need.  Much appreciated.  I wonder how much TPS is affected by opening the airbox with drilled holes or FC 450 boot swap, emissions delete and upgraded slip-on/powerbomb header.  Can you get good TPS behavior from .65?  Or does it get to the point where a powercommander is essential?

Edited by N.dica

Emissions delete

FMF RCT 4.1

4 holes drilled in top of airbox

TPS @ .76 after playing with it yesterday.  Still a tad rich, but I'm going with an FC 450 intake boot today, so that should lean it out a bit.  Idle wasn't affected enough to make a difference.  Bike rips and pulls hard through all the gears

Im curious what the benefit/restriction of the stock reed boot is supposed to be.  Is it to limit air or to smooth out the air delivery for more efficient response.  

At TPS 7.6 how do you feel about what Weantright just said?

Im curious what the benefit/restriction of the stock reed boot is supposed to be. Is it to limit air or to smooth out the air delivery for more efficient response.

At TPS 7.6 how do you feel about what Weantright just said?

I'd guess stock intake is part of overall strategy to keep the bike from flowing too much air and running lean when paired with the Muffler.

We're all coming from different experience /backgrounds. He may have experience with something I don't. I'm simply going off of how the bike runs for me. My brother put over 300 hrs on his uncorked 2013 500 EXC with just the TPS tuned and the bike ran strong with no issues. I'll definitely be getting a JD or PCV down the road, it's just not an emergency as well as its running now.

Thanks, Weantright!  This is the kind of information we need.  Much appreciated.  I wonder how much TPS is affected by opening the airbox with drilled holes or FC 450 boot swap, emissions delete and upgraded slip-on/powerbomb header.  Can you get good TPS behavior from .65?  Or does it get to the point where a powercommander is essential?

TPS isn't effected at all by any of this. TPS is nothing more then a reading (voltage) and sent to the ECU. The ECU's output is based on this reading and adjust the curve of both FI and timing. This is a basic description of course.

Removing the emission items, exhaust and opening up air box will lean out the FI not the timing. By changing the voltage of the TPS you actively change or move the mapping up a notch. Instead of idle at 2000 rpm it is now viewed as 3000 rpm. Based on the ECU's chart (lack of wording), fuelling, timing or both is adjusted. The problem with too high TPS setting is you can run the timing out of what the motor designers wanted. Think of the timing at WFO and you are just trail riding. Race teams like Zip Ty, factory Husqvarna,,, don't move the TPS very high or at all for this reason. Yamaha had some issues when users added too much timing via the programmer.

The boot is most likely an EPA thing, quiet in is quiet out!

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1

So I desmoged removing everything in the diagram except #16 which I plugged both ports on. I removed all of #1 in the diagram except the small section the bolts to the head, I plugged that with a bolt. Hope I did everything right?

The bike seems to idle much higher on a cold start, other than that it runs great. Prior to the desmog I had a lot of flame outs in first at low rpms, that's gone now.

Edited by tsfingland
  • Like 1