What did you do to your 2017 FE501 today, ECU, TPS and mods etc.

On 6/4/2017 at 4:18 PM, Back in the saddle again said:

I just posted this on the end of the thread.  Same problem for me today..  Heres what I found,   I don't want to take it for warranty work.. Sounds like it's going to be a problem for more that a couple of us..

So this morning I was riding and I lost clutch pressure.  I limped it home.  First thing I checked was the reservoir fluid.  It was empty.  I added fluid and bled the clutch.  It came back but lost pressure again.  Since I had no signs of visible leakage, I suspected the slave cylinder.  Took it off and blew the piston out.  Sure enough, the seal is cut.  I looked up a rebuild kit, but nobody lists a kit for the 17 FE501.  I found the part number for the whole cylinder online, which costs around 200 bucks.  I did find that the same slave cylinder is used on the 16 FC450.  Lo and behold, All Ballsracing lists a rebuild kit for the 16 FC450.  The gasket looks the same in the picture, so i took a chance and ordered it.  The All Balls part number is 18-6003.  I should have the parts on Tuesday and I'll report if it fits or not.  Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has this problem in the future.  I'll post some pictures when I do the rebuild. I'm assuming that the clutch fluid is in my crank case which sux, cause I just replaced my oil.  I guess, I'll be changing that too..

I got the rebuild kit today.  It's not going to work.  The O-ring is the wrong size.   Save your money.  Took it to the dealer.  The slave is on back order until July.

2 hours ago, Back in the saddle again said:

I got the rebuild kit today.  It's not going to work.  The O-ring is the wrong size.   Save your money.  Took it to the dealer.  The slave is on back order until July.

Back order? Doh jeeezus......

Have 2017 FE 501 and two friends have same bike, only one bike can be put in neutral with motor running. I adjusted controls on clutch to open pressure plates fully to try and reduce drag but no help. Slave cylinder went out at 25 hours and have replaced with new and still have drag on clutch. Some clutch plates show signs of wear so have new OEM clutch kit to try. Have raced YZ 450s in H & H for ten years and needed to take it down a gear, so FE 501 looked like good choice and street legal. Have cleaned up motor output to meet my liking and when I get clutch drag problem resolved will be fun bike.            

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dkleiner said:

Have 2017 FE 501 and two friends have same bike, only one bike can be put in neutral with motor running. I adjusted controls on clutch to open pressure plates fully to try and reduce drag but no help. Slave cylinder went out at 25 hours and have replaced with new and still have drag on clutch. Some clutch plates show signs of wear so have new OEM clutch kit to try. Have raced YZ 450s in H & H for ten years and needed to take it down a gear, so FE 501 looked like good choice and street legal. Have cleaned up motor output to meet my liking and when I get clutch drag problem resolved will be fun bike.            

I've had 3 KTMs, a husaberg and a Husky FE450. I've never beeen able to get into neutral with the engine running (intentionally) on any of them.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Vagus said:

I've had 3 KTMs, a husaberg and a Husky FE450. I've never beeen able to get into neutral with the engine running (intentionally) on any of them.

Thank you!  I was beginning to wonder if it was me ?

29 minutes ago, nblevin said:

To those of you running supermoto, does anyone know if a 5 inch rear on Avon Trailriders fit?

I am running Bridgestone battle ax 5 inch rears. 

2 hours ago, Vagus said:

2017 hare worst . i had 2012 and my buddy had 2015 . ye bolt change them for 2017 and it the comment he told me . i run a rekluse i taught it was the rekluse my trouble , no it 2017 that hare bad for finding neutral . 

52 minutes ago, window2time said:

It would be great if we could figure out what the difference is between the bikes where neutral is hard to find and those which neutral is easy to find.  Then maybe everyone could have a bike with neutral.

I've become so used to not being able to find it that I don't even miss it. Just pull in the clutch.

• Like 1