What did you do to your 2017 FE501 today, ECU, TPS and mods etc.

State of California sued  Dyno jet several years ago for altering epa mapping, probably related to that.

Thats some kind of balls to go against a 3rd party accessory producer who are legally making a product.  

DYNOJET RESEARCH, INC. CASE SETTLES FOR $1,000,000

The Mobile Source Enforcement Section along with the Office of Legal Affairs has completed its investigation against Dynojet Research, Inc. located in Las Vegas, Nevada. Dynojet was manufacturing an after market part called the "Power Commander" that would alter the air-fuel mixture and the timing on off and on road motor vehicles. By installing the Power Commander this would alter or modify the original design of the motor vehicle and would affect the emission control systems that were certified by the manufacture through ARB. As part of the settlement it was agreed between both parties that Dynojet would not violate the Health and Safety Code with respect to the installation, sale, offer for sale or advertising of any device in California intended for use with, or as part of, any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system which alters or modifies the original design or performance of any such motor vehicle pollution control device or system. Dynojet has now certified a California version of the Power Commander that is legal for sale and use on California motor vehicles. Dynojet also paid penalties in the amount of $1,000,000 to the California Air Pollution Control Fund as part of the settlement.

Thats some kind of balls to go against a 3rd party accessory producer who are legally making a product.  

As I recall the fine was like $1,000,000,000  

Anyone have any suggestions for adding power supplies at handlebar oe other for charging phone or for usb power etc?

Also thinking of adding an easily accessible source for plugging in the portable air compressor for tire changes or am I taking it too far? Assuming everyone just lifts off seat and plugs into battery for that scenario?

Ps the power station usb charger should be waterproof.

Edited by Wadzy

So to summarize some of the heavy hitting lawsuits over the past few years:

1 million fine to Dynojet

12 million fine to Harley Davidson

4.3 Billion fine to Volkswagen + 18 Billion civil/criminal fines totalling 22 Billion

4.6 Billion sought by EPA  against Fiat Chrysler in ongoing emissions scandal

Saddle up that cash cow.  Zero measurable effect on emissions, global impact.   

Might as well have John Gotti running the EPA

Edited by N.dica
  • Like 1

Question for our European brothers... Can one of you guy's trace back the wiring from your Map/Traction Control switch and take a picture where it connects too? I found a white Molex connector today under the seat that has a plug in it... I'm hoping it's the plug for the Map Switch. (It's not the Diagnostic plug either) :thumbsup:

The map switch plugs in right behind the number plate to a 2 prong red molex connector on the FX and FC units. The Euro EXC uses the same switch and there is no red connector on the US wiring harness, unless its taped off somewhere. Beside wo an different map in the ECU it would not work anyway.

Edited by dcg141

For the desmogging, has anybody removed the hose from the valve cover to the air box? I bought a kit and they recommended doing this, plugging the air box and running a new hose down from the valve cover. Thoughts?

For the desmogging, has anybody removed the hose from the valve cover to the air box? I bought a kit and they recommended doing this, plugging the air box and running a new hose down from the valve cover. Thoughts?

Mines been that way since new 460+ hours.  Zero detriment, other than motor not recirculating contaminated air.   Under real cold conditions, the heat from contaminated air might be a benefit to early warm up, especially if pulling lean jetting, but in high heat , that contaminated air can be a detriment.

Now here's the catch 22, the hose once on and you have to boil one end to get it on, and once its there, its not really removable for a valve check, so you thread the entire hose out with the valve cover. And you have to clean and lubricate for it to slide out(like with armoral or something) wd40).  so you don't want to thread out a big dirty hose , so the clean and lubricate prior to threading it out is important, also needs to be lubricated threading it back in.

• Like 2

Has anyone done the FC450 into FE501 boot swap? Any have feedback?

Would it be ok to make this a 350/501 thread? You guys are doing everything right and posting good info. I think the 350 guys could add some helpful info too. I'm kinda asking for a riding buddy as I have a 15 350 built, but he's home trying to pin point the right tps # among a few other things for his 17 350. I know the 501 and 350 have different tops, but most everything else is the same (I think)

Would it be ok to make this a 350/501 thread? You guys are doing everything right and posting good info. I think the 350 guys could add some helpful info too. I'm kinda asking for a riding buddy as I have a 15 350 built, but he's home trying to pin point the right tps # among a few other things for his 17 350. I know the 501 and 350 have different tops, but most everything else is the same (I think)

I would prefer that we leave this a FE501 thread but you are welcome to post any question/info that would pertain to both. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

What's the consensus on break in valve checks?

Curious to know who's attempted it, and what the results were. My dealer said not to bother, but I've seen a few reports of tight clearances even after the first few hours.

What's the consensus on break in valve checks?

Curious to know who's attempted it, and what the results were. My dealer said not to bother, but I've seen a few reports of tight clearances even after the first few hours.

The bike I had previous to my first ktm was a 2005 honda crf450.  I had to reshim the valves on that thing every 20-30hrs or so.  Even after replacing TI valves with SS valves I still had to adjust every 40-50 hrs which is normal, right?  My first KTM was a 2009 530 exc.  The salesman told me that I would probably never have to adjust the valves.  I looked at him like he was insane and figured he was just giving me a sales job.  I checked to valves on my new KTM like I would on my Honda.  I'm super nuts about maintenance.  After 2 years of checking and seeing that the valves had never been out of spec I decided to stop checking.  BTW I ride the piss out of my bikes.  I recently sold that bike to buy the new 2017 500 and before I put it up for sale I decided to check the valves to make sure the bike was ready to sell.  Guess what...still in spec after 8 years of abuse.  I also have a 2013 450 sxf.  Never even looked at the valves on that bike except for when I recently changed the top end.  It was in spec.  I'm giving my 2017 the same amount of trust regaurding valves! :ride:

• Like 1

Today's Mod. Anyone else experiencing this?

Lookin' good Filipe!  Hahaha