crazybrother

What did you do to your 2017 FE501 today, ECU, TPS and mods etc.

Ya looks pretty much blocked to me. I’d put some weld bond putty in there and forget about it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Vagus said:

Ya looks pretty much blocked to me. I’d put some weld bond putty in there and forget about it.

Yup, all good

On 4/10/2018 at 11:57 AM, Wadzy said:

Hi guys, my favorite and most recent mod~!

You started to use some kind of testing device at about 4:25 in your video, which by the way I really appreciate your video.  When I called Baja Designs the technical support guy told me it should be just plug and play.  Do I need to have some kind of testing device to get this job done correctly?  I did order the dimmer switch because I do end up riding on the highway a lot.

Edited by duggram

1 hour ago, duggram said:

You started to use some kind of testing device at about 4:25 in your video, which by the way I really appreciate your video.  When I called Baja Designs the technical support guy told me it should be just plug and play.  Do I need to have some kind of testing device to get this job done correctly?  I did order the dimmer switch because I do end up riding on the highway a lot.

A volt meter or multi-meter isn't required but is helpful.  

Another way to confirm you have Positive and Negative polarity correct is to slightly slide the pins into the connector first.  Once you confirm the orientation is correct you can fully slide-on the connector.  It can be a little tricky removing the pins from the KTM connector once fully engaged.

• Like 2

I finally got around to putting some blue fork guards from the 17' models on my MY 16'. Haven't seen any like it, but I really like the new look. Shout out to @Jeff aka Bolt for the great price and service. The nearest husky dealer wanted over $40 for this bit of plastic, Jeff sold them to me for less than half that. Tell me it doesn't look bitch'n, I can take it lol.

FB_IMG_1525650120400.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tyler90 said:

I finally got around to putting some blue fork guards from the 17' models on my MY 16'. Haven't seen any like it, but I really like the new look. Shout out to @Jeff aka Bolt for the great price and service. The nearest husky dealer wanted over $40 for this bit of plastic, Jeff sold them to me for less than half that. Tell me it doesn't look bitch'n, I can take it lol.

FB_IMG_1525650120400.jpg

Thanks for the mention... very nice of you. :worthy:

Just did the horn relocation on my 17 FE501. Here’s some pictures to help others. First I bent the original mount flat, then bent it slightly out, finally twisted it a bit. It sits on top of the fan shroud and doesn’t touch the radiator. I also cut a bit of plastic off the stock radiator plastic so the bracket wouldn’t push against them. You will also have to flip the horn. IMG_9671.JPGIMG_9673.JPGIMG_9674.JPGIMG_9675.JPGIMG_9676.JPG

• Like 2

I’m just wondering how everyone got the EU map that lives in the US I’m in Ca and can’t for the life of me find a way to get it.

16 minutes ago, pugspeed said:

I’m just wondering how everyone got the EU map that lives in the US I’m in Ca and can’t for the life of me find a way to get it.

I think you're a year, or possibly two years late in your search. They all got shut down by the EPA. However, somebody will probably post, or send you a PM and prove me wrong. It's very hush-hush. I ended up with the yellow box because I couldn't figure out where to get it done either.

Edited by Portmod7
  • Like 3

I think you're a year, or possibly two years late in your search. They all got shut down by the EPA. However, somebody will probably post, or send you a PM and prove me wrong. It's very hush-hush. I ended up with the yellow box because I couldn't figure out where to get it done either.

Ya I got the bike new and was already late to the party.. I even have family that works at the dealership I got the bike and still can’t get it.. the yellow box is the last thing on my list I just figured I’d ask.

7 hours ago, pugspeed said:

Ya I got the bike new and was already late to the party.. I even have family that works at the dealership I got the bike and still can’t get it.. the yellow box is the last thing on my list I just figured I’d ask.

Talk about poor timing, I bought my 17, and after breaking it in was scheduled to have my stock ECU modded by my dealer.  Hauled my bike to the dealer and when we hooked it all up, his computer wouldn't work until it downloaded a software update.  It was the very update that removed that capability. 

• Like 1

Hi guys my XL was literally swapping the light out with the stock and in with the new. As far as the wires go check the plugs read the directions and plug it in. This XL Pro or XL 60 is the brightest lights I have ever seen and love it!

Been reading this thread for awhile and thought i would chime in.  Wanted to do a complete read before i did so.

One of our fellow inmates has asked several times about the availability of an FMF header for these bikes - specifically an FE501 of which i recently acquired a 2017.  FMF will not help you.  They will not tell you which model or part number fits our bikes.  CARB and EPA has them all clammed up.  Why the regulatory bodies care about the head pipe is beyond me.  However, a dealer told me last week that the FC450 headpipe fits. There you have it.  Fact is, KTM has not made a tone of changes to exhaust systems over the years.  My old stock muffler from my 2012 500 EXC bolted right up to my son’s 06 450EXC.

Now for a few questions i hope some of you can answer.  First, when I bought my FE501 it had anodized Pro Moto Billet radiator guards on it.  The latest and current model.  Looked great and fit great.  I bought an Acerbis 4.1 gallon tank.  Looked great and fit great but the radiator guards rubbed the tank such that i removed them.  I called Pro Moto billet.  They were not aware of the problem.  Sent them some pics.  They told me they had a new version coming out that were not as wide that might solve the problem.  They sent me a pair that was in the batch for making the trip to Salt Lake City where I live and where their products are anodized.  I put those on.  They solved the problem where the other set rubbed but the new ones now rubbed in a different spot.

Has anyone encountered this problem?  Any solutions?  I could probably grind the guard where it rubs and eliminate the point of contact.  

And one more question for now.  I have the Vortex ECU installed.  Is the Vortex switch worth the expense?  Also, is the factory map switch and traction control worth the effort of wiring it in and making the connection at the ECU?  I have not heard anyone rave about the tradition control or the ability to switch maps.  Seems like most put it in one position and it never moves.

I really want to try the FC450 header but not sure what it will really deliver in terms of performance. The map switch I would of never done had I know how little it really did.